Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting Lotion

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Have you been diluting the setting lotion?

i know that you pretty much have to do so with ones like Lottabody and the other ones generally sold at Beauty supply stores.

The one I have is a Wella product and I haven't been diluting it because the bottle did not specify that it needed dilution.

edit: reading through earlier posts in this thread, which I hadn't seen, I see that the Wella lotion is to be avoided. Perhaps that is my problem. I'll pick up some Lottabody and give that a try.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
The one I have is a Wella product and I haven't been diluting it because the bottle did not specify that it needed dilution.

Hmmm. Might be worth trying a dillution if its crispy at full strength. I think different types of hair end up feeling different with the lotion, and maybe it just overpowers yours a bit too much.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Aussie Hair Insurance leave in spray conditioner! Just a note that I usually don't use a setting lotion. But last night when I went to set my hair, I had let it dry too much before rolling. So I grabbed this, which I have always loved anyway... and spritzed each section before rolling.

My hair came out so beautiful today! Very slick and soft. My hair sets well, so I wouldn't reccomend this to those who need the extra hold type stuff!

Nikki

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
reading through earlier posts in this thread, which I hadn't seen, I see that the Wella lotion is to be avoided. Perhaps that is my problem. I'll pick up some Lottabody and give that a try.

well, i picked up a bottle of Lottabody a couple days ago and gave the pincurls another try today. the lack of crunchiness with the Lottabody is great! BUT.... because it has to be diluted with water, it takes a lot longer to dry than the stuff i was using before. i set my hair at 11 last night and parts of it were still damp when i woke up at 7:30 this morning.

i feel like there's just no way at all for me to win here.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
well, i picked up a bottle of Lottabody a couple days ago and gave the pincurls another try today. the lack of crunchiness with the Lottabody is great! BUT.... because it has to be diluted with water, it takes a lot longer to dry than the stuff i was using before. i set my hair at 11 last night and parts of it were still damp when i woke up at 7:30 this morning.

i feel like there's just no way at all for me to win here.

I actually use Lottabody full strength a great deal of the time now, as I like the stronger hold I achieve this way. However, because I wait until my hair is barely damp before setting it, I don't notice any difference in drying time when using it full strength or diluted.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
jitterbugdoll said:
I actually use Lottabody full strength a great deal of the time now, as I like the stronger hold I achieve this way. However, because I wait until my hair is barely damp before setting it, I don't notice any difference in drying time when using it full strength or diluted.

I usually dry set my hair, dampening it only with the setting lotion and occasionally a mist of water, because otherwise it just never dries. Last night I did the same, just dampening it with the setting lotion solution.

JBD, do you find that it makes your hair crispy when you use it full strength, or is it still pretty easy to brush through? I wonder if I could benefit from this, as (like you) I have very thick hair, and a lot of it. I can always use extra hold!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
I usually dry set my hair, dampening it only with the setting lotion and occasionally a mist of water, because otherwise it just never dries. Last night I did the same, just dampening it with the setting lotion solution.

JBD, do you find that it makes your hair crispy when you use it full strength, or is it still pretty easy to brush through? I wonder if I could benefit from this, as (like you) I have very thick hair, and a lot of it. I can always use extra hold!

In between washings I dry set my hair--I use about a dime-sized amount of setting lotion combed through, and then pat my hair with water once in curlers. I don't notice any difference in 'crunch factor' when using Lottabody full strength. The only time I have trouble with that is if I let my hair air dry completely without combing some sort of conditioner or setting lotion through it first; the texture becomes very dry and course feeling and it becomes rather frizzy/puffy when I set it.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I read back into this post a ways and saw someone had recommended using flat beer. Has anyone tried this yet? I'm going to give it a shot tonight (because I don't have anywhere to be in particular tomorrow! ;) ), I was just curious to see what other peoples results may have been.... I hope I don't smell like I spent the night in a bar!

Shearer

Practically Family
Cherry_Bombb said:
I read back into this post a ways and saw someone had recommended using flat beer. Has anyone tried this yet? I'm going to give it a shot tonight (because I don't have anywhere to be in particular tomorrow! ;) ), I was just curious to see what other peoples results may have been.... I hope I don't smell like I spent the night in a bar!

Wow... Flat beer? Would it not dry sticky? I'm just trying to remember from hazy morning after experience lol

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Cherry_Bombb said:

My aunt used flat beer as a setting lotion for 50 years! I honestly don't remember how it smelled, but since she was a housewife and didn't go out much during the day, it didn't matter too much. I will say that she had the most beautiful hair and looked like a cross between Betty Grable and Jitterbug Doll!:)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
jitterbugdoll said:
In between washings I dry set my hair--I use about a dime-sized amount of setting lotion combed through, and then pat my hair with water once in curlers. I don't notice any difference in 'crunch factor' when using Lottabody full strength. The only time I have trouble with that is if I let my hair air dry completely without combing some sort of conditioner or setting lotion through it first; the texture becomes very dry and course feeling and it becomes rather frizzy/puffy when I set it.

Jitterbugdoll, thank you SO much for your help with this. I used your advice and used the Lottabody full strength - it was exactly the hold I needed with no crunch. I combined it with some VO5 Sheer! Hairdressing (a creamy sort of pomade for shine and frizz control), with extra Sheer! at the ends, which is where I have frizz problems. I've set my hair using this for the past 2 nights in a row and I have curls and waves like I've always dreamed of.

Also, for those of you wondering about alternative/homemade setting lotions, this is one recommended by a gal on a couple of the Myspace vintage hair groups:

Home Made Setting Lotion
Flax seed gel can be used successfully to help set hair.

¾ cup water
1 tablespoon flax seed
Combine the water and flax seeds in a small pan, and bring to a boil. Simmer until the mixture is gelatinous (about 10 to 15 minutes). Strain out as many seeds as you can. Dip a comb into the gel, and comb through the hair before setting with curlers or pins

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
Jitterbugdoll, thank you SO much for your help with this. I used your advice and used the Lottabody full strength - it was exactly the hold I needed with no crunch. I combined it with some VO5 Sheer! Hairdressing (a creamy sort of pomade for shine and frizz control), with extra Sheer! at the ends, which is where I have frizz problems. I've set my hair using this for the past 2 nights in a row and I have curls and waves like I've always dreamed of.

I am glad that my suggestions worked for you! I also like VO5 hairdressing; it is great for touch ups between sets too. :)

RetroMom, you are so sweet.:eek: I'd love to see a photo of your aunt sometime!

olive bleu

One Too Many
I personally just use a tub of "styling Gel" that i buy at a local 'Dollar Store'. I think the brand is called 'Ecco Styler', and costs...that's right, ladies..$1.It is very thin for gel, and i could never use it if I was actually going to spike my hair or something as it would never hold. I tried it awhile ago out of desperation because locating setting lotion in these parts is pretty hit or miss.
Anyway, I love this stuff..holds curls beautifully, never stiff, sticky or flaky..I am tempted to buy a case of it before I never see it again.:)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Yesterday I went to a beauty supply store in town that was going out of business and picked up a lot of goodies! One of the things I got was Redken 22 Thermal Styling Mist, which the lady suggested in lieu of another brand of setting lotion.

It can be used for hot rollers/hot sticks or for cold sets and pin curls. I tried out pincurls for the first time yesterday, and it was a little difficult to do with this styling mist (it's very sticky), but it looked very nice in the end. I bet it would be easier to use with rollers. Today I used hot sticks in my hair (without adding any more styling mist, just counting on the stuff that was left in my hair since yesterday), and my hair is beautiful.

It's pricey, but I recommend it to you ladies who use hot rollers often!

Snookie

Practically Family
KittyT said:

Also, for those of you wondering about alternative/homemade setting lotions, this is one recommended by a gal on a couple of the Myspace vintage hair groups:

Home Made Setting Lotion

¾ cup water
1 tablespoon flax seed
Combine the water and flax seeds in a small pan, and bring to a boil. Simmer until the mixture is gelatinous (about 10 to 15 minutes). Strain out as many seeds as you can. Dip a comb into the gel, and comb through the hair before setting with curlers or pins

I've wondered about the flax seed recipe for a long time. I took a vintage hairstyling class back in '98, run by a girl and her grandmother, and the grandmother talked about flax seed setting lotion. Thanks for posting -- it looks easier to make than I guessed.

Has anyone tried it? Is anyone willing to? ;)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Snookie said:
I've wondered about the flax seed recipe for a long time. I took a vintage hairstyling class back in '98, run by a girl and her grandmother, and the grandmother talked about flax seed setting lotion. Thanks for posting -- it looks easier to make than I guessed.

Has anyone tried it? Is anyone willing to? ;)

I have had a bunch of flax seed sitting in my cupboard for ages, waiting to try this. Unfortunatly I am a lazy girl and havent properly set my hair in -ages-...so while I could whip a batch up.....would i use it....another whole story...lol

ricki

Familiar Face
KittyT said:

Home Made Setting Lotion

¾ cup water
1 tablespoon flax seed

I tried this before. It was a little stiff, but it did the trick. It was pretty messy to make though... I had to really scrub out the flax seeds from my sauce pan when I was done.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I went on a little trip to Sally's Beauty Supply today (just for a new brush) and I left with a basket full of stuff. :eek:fftopic: Great sale on magnetic rollers right now BTW, 99cents. I couldn't locate the Lottabody which I usually buy so I asked the salesgirl for a good setting lotion and she showed me some stuff I had never seen before. It's a little glass vile that reads Reinforcer Setting Lotion on it.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1320/670084

They come in different types for dry, normal, and fine hair. I got some of the green fine hair kind to try out because they were also on sale. Has anyone ever tried this? The directions say to apply entire contents to towel dried hair after shampooing. I'm used to diluting the Lottabody so I'm a little concerned about how it will come out if I just use the whole thing straight. It also says to Massage evenly, I never have much luck getting product on in my hair so should I dilute it a little in some water and use a spray bottle?

Ack I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissHuff said:
Ack I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

If it doesn't say to dilute it, I wouldn't. Hell, Lottabody says to dilute it and I don't (I know others here don't as well). Your best bet is to try a test curl to see what you think!

MissHuff

A-List Customer
*UPDATE*

I tried out the setting lotion the other day after I posted about it. I washed my hair first then I towel dried it and let it sit so that it was just a bit damp because my hair is really long and would take forever to dry. I mixed the setting lotion with a little water so that I could use a spray bottle and get it all over. It worked out pretty good, not really great but then again I had diluted it. I'll try out the other bottle I have following the directions exactly to see how it worked out. The hair did hold up pretty well though. I didn't care much for the smell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24