Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Elaina

One Too Many
Oh yes, lint.

I forget about some of the issues because I don't sew with an electric, but generally (for me, now) every 3 garments have a button needing a button hole, and when I remove my feed dogs, I take paint brush, bout 1 1/2" in size and "sweep" the machine. It's all I use the brush for. I also can dust Mike with it, then I oil and treadle it w/o the belt while I'm sewing the buttons on :)

I agree about the "pop". The needles I generally get are in arabic, and they're supposed to tell you which fabric they sew.

If/when I do it right, and don't recylce needles and/or don't sharpen them, I cange them out every 8 hours of sew time, with buttonholes being the final thing I do before I toss it (old cam style, it will kill a needle.)

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
My grandmother just came over to give me a sewing lession. She brought over about 50 patterns. Unfortunatly they are mostly from the 70's-80's. I found some early 60's. Too bad it's not farther in the future where the 70's are vintage and we trying make those clothes.

It was great of her to digging in her closet for me. She said that she had gotten rid of all the older patterns years ago. But oh well. I did get some cute 60's dress patterns.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Patter beggars cant be choosers ;)

And once you get good enough, youll be able to transform those 80s numbers into the 40s frocks they were inspired by :D

Congrads on the lesson! Woo hoo!

LD

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
this question is for those of you experienced at tracing patterns!

i bought some of that pattern tracing material (the kind you find in the interfacing section) so i can trace my new vintage pattern. however, i'm having trouble keeping the pieces laid out nicely and not moving while i'm tracing.

so what method do YOU use to trace patterns accurately?

thanks in advance for your input...

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Okay ladies, I'm gonna start my first real sewing project next week and I need your advice! I bought a pretty simple vintage slip pattern, it only consists of 3 pieces and only requires a few darts:

vintagepatternsfeb07jean007.jpg

Granted, I've never sewn from a pattern before, so I'm sure it'll still be hell! Also, this pattern has perforations instead of markings like regular patterns. The pattern isn't too complex, but any tips on handling this?

Also, I was thinking of doing this slip in a silk charmeuse. I know it frays easily, but other than that, is it hard to work with? How should I deal with the fraying? Any other fabric suggestions if you think that might be too hard for a beginner like me?

Thanks so much dolls, you are all such an inspiration! :)

Elaina

One Too Many
My opinions only

Shoo Shoo: I put wax paper over the top of the pattern and use a warm iron. Then I can put the interfacing over that and re-iron. Pattern is held into place, everything is staight, and I can trace away without fear of damaging the pattern or bleedthrough, and I use Sharpies.

Pigeon: I'd do it in a cotton first, so any little problems can be taken out and done again, and you can always sleep in it instead of using it for a slip if you prefer. Then I'd do it in the silk charmuse. Silky anything is harder to deal with then cotton, because it slips somewhat. And if it's something completely new, then I'm going to assume that the machine is also not something you're used to, and you'll have to figure out it's quirks too, not to mention darting, while not hard, is an adjustment to make (to which I use thread tacks to get the markings, then draw with a ruler lines to connect. All total, darts took me about 15 minutes to mark and sew when I was new). Then I'd move on. As to fraying, if you have a zig zag on your machine, zz the seamlines, or fray check if you have a straight stitch. Since I'm also weird, I fray check and french seam for a more polished look on the inside.

Hope that helped you guys.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
pigeon toe said:

Okay, PT, if this is your first pattern, and its perforated and not printed, passsss!! It may be a bit too much. Id do a skirt for the first pattern (printed) iits a good way to learn how to lay out fabric and its easy.

Thats my 2 cents.

LD

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Vest Pattern

I'm on the hunt for a nice vest pattern. Most I've seen are not wearable by themselves. I really want a nice vintage styled pattern, longer than the waistline. I'm tall and have a very long back so I need something longer. And I would like to be able to wear the vest without a blouse underneath in the hot steamy months. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Snookie

Practically Family
Here's an image of my one vest pattern. Are you thinking along these lines?

vest.jpg

Here's a picture of a jacket that would look similar if you made it w/o sleeves. It's such a classic style, I bet you could find a modern pattern like this jacket, and doctor it to make a vest.

scan_55421540_1-1.jpg

Using a modern pattern might be good, anyway, b/c vintage patterns tend to be high-waisted.

Have you looked for any 1950's patterns? I think that's an era that tends to have more sleeveless options.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
pigeon_toe,

my first project was a blouse from a 1941 unprinted pattern. i didn't have TOO hard of a time with it. so i think you should go for it! however, i would try to obtain a beginning sewing guide from the same era to have handy... that's how i got through my blouse project. i also vote for saving the silky fabric for later. good luck!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
ShooShooBaby said:
pigeon_toe,

my first project was a blouse from a 1941 unprinted pattern. i didn't have TOO hard of a time with it. so i think you should go for it! however, i would try to obtain a beginning sewing guide from the same era to have handy... that's how i got through my blouse project. i also vote for saving the silky fabric for later. good luck!

Yeah, I think I'm just going to go for it too! In cotton, of course. I've been looking over the pattern and with the instructions it doesn't seem too much of a challenge. At least it will be a learning experience!

Snookie

Practically Family
pigeon toe, if that pattern suggests making self-fabric tubes for the straps, skip the headache and find some coordinating cording or ribbon to use instead. And don't cut the exact length it says, wait until you can try it on and figure out how long you want your straps. If you're going to make a cotton nighty or a sundress (Elaina -- great suggestion!) you could add multiple straps, or cross them in the back.

I just thought of something -- if you make a cotton version, and it's tight, you may need to add a closure, like a zipper. Use a 20"-22", it goes on the left side or in the back (I like left), and if the instructions in the zipper package aren't helpful find a sewing book -- Vogue Sewing or Reader's Digest. Barnes&Noble or the library.

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
Hiya - still new here, but I have been sewing for awhile now, and this thread looks like a wealth of information.

ShooShooBaby - for tracing patterns, what I like to use is thin plastic that I buy in big rolls at the hardware/home reno store. It's inexpensive. I think they use it for drop cloths or covering open windows or something. I've lost the packaging otherwise I would tell you what it's called!

Anyway, it's thicker than plastic bags but flexible and totally transparent, so it's easy to trace onto with sharpie markers.

Once you've traced and cut it out it the plastic becomes a very durable copy of the pattern, and I've also used it as a trial 'muslin' for some garments.

So far as keeping the pattern pieces in place while tracing, I would normally pin them, but if it's a fragile or precious pattern then ironing the original pattern and putting the plastic over it should be alright. At least in my dry climate, there would be enough static to cling the plastic to the pattern.

Jen

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
I echo Snookie's advice about the book. She actually recommended the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing to me, and it is really helpful! After borrowing it twice from the library I just bought a copy on Ebay for about $9.00. :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lotus Leroux said:
I echo Snookie's advice about the book. She actually recommended the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing to me, and it is really helpful! After borrowing it twice from the library I just bought a copy on Ebay for about $9.00. :)

I also have the Readers Digest book....and third the recommendation.

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
Remember the Alamo?

I have a bit of a sewing dilemma.My brother wants me to make him a Davy Crockett costume for Halloween.I found a pattern that looks pretty good.The problem that I am having is that my brother doesn't seem to want it made of leather and that is the only recommended material.I was hoping to use something that breathes well and is sturdy.Do you have any fabric suggestions?Thank-you!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael