Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
i think there might actually be a thread on here concerning making your own body form out of duct tape...lots of gals do that to save money and you get your exact measurements......you could also find one of those monthly Joann Fabrics 40% off coupons and use that on a dummy from their website or something.
but I do highly recommend getting/making one if you can....I am a fiercely visual person, and when I can't figure out the written directions, it is a relief to be able to pin the cut out pattern pieces to my dressform and suss it out. It motivates me as well, because I see the clothing take shape much quicker than when i am working on a flat surface.

VintageRed

Familiar Face
MissAmelina said:
i think there might actually be a thread on here concerning making your own body form out of duct tape...lots of gals do that to save money and you get your exact measurements......you could also find one of those monthly Joann Fabrics 40% off coupons and use that on a dummy from their website or something.
but I do highly recommend getting/making one if you can....I am a fiercely visual person, and when I can't figure out the written directions, it is a relief to be able to pin the cut out pattern pieces to my dressform and suss it out. It motivates me as well, because I see the clothing take shape much quicker than when i am working on a flat surface.

I'm visual as well, so that's really a good idea. I tend to be a terrible project starter and infrequent finisher also if I lose motivation, so I like the idea of seeing it take shape.

I'll start looking around for one. I'll also try searching the forum for the duct tape idea. :)

Thanks ladies!

~D.

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
I also find a dressform helpful because I have many many vintage patterns that aren't my size. I even have contemporary patterns that aren't quite the right size. You will see as you go along that sometimes when you resize a piece (particulary the bodice, I've noticed) it looks ok in the flat pattern but is wonky when I put it on. The dressform helps me see where I need to take the sides or darts in or if I need to move the darts.

As for the duct tape dressform, I'm all for being thrifty but I just don't think it would work for me. When I fluctuate in weight 6-10 pounds, I've noticed quite a change. I'd be making new dressforms every few months. However since you're just starting out, I say go for it and make one. Sewing is so addictive and pattern collecting even more so.

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
I tried searching for the thread about making a dressform out of duct tape and couldn't find it anywhere. Can anyone tell me the title of the thread? I would really like to read it as that seems the best option for me concerning a dressform, since I couldn't begin to spend $100-150 or more on one.
Sarah

VintageRed said:
Crazy question, but do you have to have a sewer's mannequin in order to make the outfits?

I was just thinking how excited I was and was reading the "show us what you made" thread and realized that almost everyone shows their pieces on the mannequin.

I don't have one, so I'm wondering now if I need to find one somewhere in order to make my wearables.

Thank you!

~D.

Here is mine that I made:
3079379965_b243e2f071_o.jpg

VintageRed

Familiar Face
Oh my! How creative!

Does it work well? It must, if you're still using it. I bet that saved a bunch of money. :D

~Red

I used it for the first time when I made the robe that's posted over in the Show Us What You Made thread. I must say it was quite handy to be able to put it on something rather than myself and make adjustments. Also, I don't really like the adjustable ones because you have big gaps when you enlarge them, and since I am loosing weight I didn't want to invest a lot in a custom one. The adjustable ones alone are over $100. This is cheap and if change size you can easily make another.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I made a duct tape dummy. Once. I never made a stand for it, and the thing kind of collapsed in on itself. You really need a stand, and it needs to be appropriately level.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with a paper tape dummy. Supposedly you use the brown paper mailing tape that you wet to make it gummy, and when it dries it hardens. Sounds better than duct tape! You'd have to make a cover for it or something, though, so you could put pins in it.

HisGirlFriday

New in Town
Help! Last Minute Invitation!!

Hi All,
Just got a last, last minute invite to a Chamber of Commerce dinner themed "A Night at Casablanca"!! I'm not super at sewing but I think I can put something together by Saturday night. The invite said 'black tie optional' so I was thinking a long straight skirt/dress and a jacket with cap sleeves. ANY SUGGESTIONS for fabric type, pattern number, etc... would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Thanks in advance!

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Something for Saturday night?
And today is thursday?
My advice?
Go buy a dress. LOL. :)

Sorry...sometimes i think I am funny. :)

Seriously though....if you are fairly inexperienced at sewing you might wanna save yourself the hairpulling (especially if it is on the "black tie" side of things) and find something nice on sale.

But someone else might have a suggestion that's more along the lines of what you are looking for. And I truly hope that you find it....

Rachael

A-List Customer
I've been known to manufacture something at this short of notice. I have also been known to run screaming out the studio and curse my cock-eyed optimism. Shopping isn't a bad idea, but if you go for the sewing option, keep it simple. really really simple. and no velvet.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
MissAmelina said:
Something for Saturday night?
And today is thursday?
My advice?
Go buy a dress. LOL. :)

Actually, I'd say good advice. I'd never try to make something of that caliber on short notice, and formal fabrics are often the hardest to work with. (Of course, I'm not all that skilled...) I'd say better to find a dress on sale than to mess up a project and then have to go buy a dress on sale. If you had the fabric and the pattern, I'd say maybe, but without....?? No offense, but you like living dangerously!

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Joie DeVive said:
Actually, I'd say good advice. I'd never try to make something of that caliber on short notice, and formal fabrics are often the hardest to work with. (Of course, I'm not all that skilled...) I'd say better to find a dress on sale than to mess up a project and then have to go buy a dress on sale. If you had the fabric and the pattern, I'd say maybe, but without....?? No offense, but you like living dangerously!

Exactly....I have been terribly stressed out trying to put something together at the last minute....and if (or *when*) anything goes wrong it's fiercely disheartening. Especially when it's an event where you have your mind's eye all set and want to make a real showing.

I've found I can procrastinate effectively in all areas of my life, but the sewing room. :)

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
HisGirlFriday said:
Hi All,
Just got a last, last minute invite to a Chamber of Commerce dinner themed "A Night at Casablanca"!! I'm not super at sewing but I think I can put something together by Saturday night. The invite said 'black tie optional' so I was thinking a long straight skirt/dress and a jacket with cap sleeves. ANY SUGGESTIONS for fabric type, pattern number, etc... would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Thanks in advance!

Oh boy. I'm going to agree with everyone else: your time would probably be better spent by shopping for a dress. You can check thrift stores, too, for something more unique, or for a cute accessory like a jacket/shrug/wrap.

I've known people who could pull off making a dress in two days, but I'm not one of them! (It's debatable whether I could get a simple skirt done in two days...) I'd say that unless you know exactly what you want and have done something similar before...go shopping! I speak from my own painful last-minute sewing endeavours here. :eek:

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
Lining for leather gloves

I've just recently one a lovely pattern for gloves off of Ebay and want to make them in leather. I'm just not sure what to line them with. Does anyone have any suggestions?

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Sickofitcindy said:
I've just recently one a lovely pattern for gloves off of Ebay and want to make them in leather. I'm just not sure what to line them with. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think I would use a flannel.

I am sewing with a medium weight bridal satin. Should I wash it before I cut out the pieces or no? Can I iron it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sunny

One Too Many
Just for lining dress gloves, I'd use silk or rayon. My lined vintage gloves use something silky that almost looks like a knit, although it isn't. For warm gloves, a very very lightweight knit that feels like wool, although I haven't any idea where to find it.

Edit: Cross-posted with Marie-Anne! The only reason I wouldn't use flannel is because it tends to pill very badly. It also can stretch and bag, which might be a problem when used for lining.

Marie-Anne: What fiber is your satin and how will it be used? I can't think of many reasons you'd want to wash it; satin dresses are almost always drycleaned anyway and you'd get little benefit from washing it.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Sunny said:
Marie-Anne: What fiber is your satin and how will it be used? I can't think of many reasons you'd want to wash it; satin dresses are almost always drycleaned anyway and you'd get little benefit from washing it.

I think the satin is silk. I know it was not synthetic and it wasn't cheap. I don't anticipate ever having to wash it once it's made. It's for a Christening gown for my daughter. It will have a beautiful net overlay with ecru flowers and green leaves and vines. I'm hoping I can finish it before she's into another size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn