Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Inky

One Too Many
Lauren said:
Inky, a lot of times on vintage ones I see them use snaps or hooks and bars to keep them shut. I've done both, if I'm worried about it moving- a hook and bar at the end with a snap right after it. Holds it secure! I usually get lazy, though, and use a safety pin [huh]

Thanks Lauren and Miss 1929, that makes good sense (and I have a nice big tin of safety pins at the ready for those lazy moments too!)

texasgirl

One Too Many
Inky said:
I want to make a belt for a dress and I understand how to sew the belt, etc, but how does it stay on? You just thread it across the buckle and it stays closed? it doesn't pull apart as you wear it? (can you tell i've never had a dress with that kind of belt before? haha). Or do you put a snap somewhere to keep it fitted right?

Gosh I hope this makes sense, I've had insomnia for a week now and I know I am delirious :eek:

I have a 30s dress with one of these. I'll take some close-ups of how it works :)

SayCici

Practically Family
Inky said:
I have a big ziplock bag full of plastic/bakelite/metal buckles I scored on ebay for $2.50!! All but a couple are in great shape, but none have a metal tongue, just the plain buckle. Sort of like these:

fleamarket06_5.jpg

I want to make a belt for a dress and I understand how to sew the belt, etc, but how does it stay on? You just thread it across the buckle and it stays closed? it doesn't pull apart as you wear it? (can you tell i've never had a dress with that kind of belt before? haha). Or do you put a snap somewhere to keep it fitted right?

Gosh I hope this makes sense, I've had insomnia for a week now and I know I am delirious :eek:
I have a belt that has that kind of (non-)closure, and they do stay closed, though it might loosen when you sit, etc. It also has a really long tail end, which I just wrap around and tuck in the back. If you're worried about it, one solution may be to get some velcro!

Thank you Lauren! I'm new to sewing so I can't figure these things out on my own yet!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone have this pattern or one similar that they could send me instructions for. According to the envelope back it closes at the side sholder seam. I am not sure I can do that with out it looking lopsided. I may just make an opening on both shoulders.
il_430xN.72702751.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I saw that pattern on Etsy, and it's SUPER cute! What a bizarre way to open! I think that a shoulder opening would lay really funny and have "gap-o-sis!" I think I'd do a placket at the center back neck with cute buttons and self fabric loops instead, but that's only me... Does it have a side opening as well? Does it have instructions with it? Maybe printing on the inside of the envelope? If so, can you share a pic of what they're asking to do? I'm curious now... I've never encountered that!
Actually I have a similar blouse in my stash. I'll go dig it out and see what they say...
Yup, mine has a center back slash with facing and buttons to fasten.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Lauren said:
I saw that pattern on Etsy, and it's SUPER cute! What a bizarre way to open! I think that a shoulder opening would lay really funny and have "gap-o-sis!" I think I'd do a placket at the center back neck with cute buttons and self fabric loops instead, but that's only me... Does it have a side opening as well? Does it have instructions with it? Maybe printing on the inside of the envelope? If so, can you share a pic of what they're asking to do? I'm curious now... I've never encountered that!
Actually I have a similar blouse in my stash. I'll go dig it out and see what they say...
Yup, mine has a center back slash with facing and buttons to fasten.
It doesn't have instructions. I was thinking of trying the center back opening but there is a pleat at center back. I can easly make a muslin though and adjust it. I should start making muslins of everything anyway,

Idledame

Practically Family
I was going to make just a regular stiff belt and went to buy what we used to call "belting" or belt backing and it seems to not exist for home sewers any more. I know I could use stiff facing material, but the real thing was precut to 3/4" up to 3" width and was easy to use.You could just sew right to the top of it, so it wasn't too thick, but had a finished look on the back. I have found 100 yd rolls online but nothing smaller. Anybody have a source?

Inky

One Too Many
Idledame said:
I was going to make just a regular stiff belt and went to buy what we used to call "belting" or belt backing and it seems to not exist for home sewers any more. I know I could use stiff facing material, but the real thing was precut to 3/4" up to 3" width and was easy to use.You could just sew right to the top of it, so it wasn't too thick, but had a finished look on the back. I have found 100 yd rolls online but nothing smaller. Anybody have a source?

Interesting that you said this, i was looking for something similar. I did find online only at joann's in 24 yard package/1.25" width ($42.99), but it won't let me copy the links. I searched for "belting" at joann.com. They also have a 1.5" width in a 24 yard package ($49.99). I am sure a bit of googling could help us find it cheaper - it's made by Dritz.

I would google more, but I have a cold and have exceeded my upright position time for now.

Lauren

I've found some at estate sales before, or in vintage belt kits. Maybe do an ebay or etsy search? If you want to cheat you can use a strip of heavy twill, if your fabric is lighter, and hand sew along the back to close or use fusible interfacing. I've done both, but the fusible has a tenancy to pull away over time.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Idledame said:

Dritz still makes belting; I found some in a local non-chain fabric store, but only in one width, which I had to cut down. So it *is* out there...somewhere...

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I went to the library today and found some fantastic books on sewing aprons and lingerie and pattern drafting. Woohoo! So check out your local library!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Is it possible to make a pattern from an existing garment WITHOUT taking it apart??? Is it easy, best left to the pros, or impossible? Has anyone done this?

I ask because I have a silk 1920s dress I'd like to reproduce and make into something stronger, less smelly, and more wearable. But I don't want to take it apart!!! :D

Lauren

Yes, you can. I know Threads ran articles on it a while back, and here's an online article that might help.
http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4841/copying-complex-garments
It's time intensive and I hate doing it, but sometimes it's worth it! In school we learned how to do it with a digitizing table. If I could have one of those, it would make it less difficult! hehe. Was basically a table that has a pen, similar to those you use at the grocery store to tap in your pin number, and it transfers it to a computer, then you print out your pattern. Neat, but expensive.

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
copying a garment

Amy Jeanne said:
Is it possible to make a pattern from an existing garment WITHOUT taking it apart??? Is it easy, best left to the pros, or impossible? Has anyone done this?

I ask because I have a silk 1920s dress I'd like to reproduce and make into something stronger, less smelly, and more wearable. But I don't want to take it apart!!! :D

I have copied a halter top before successfully. Your item will be more complicated but it is possible. There are several ways to do it, there's a few books on the subject that I can't access right now. One of the options is to use a pointy tracing wheel and trace the seam lines onto a piece of paper. You would then connect the holes with a marker. You may not want to use this method as your dress is vintage. As the top was fairly uncomplicated, I put tracing paper over each section of the top and copied the seam lines. It wasn't 100% perfect but it was more than adequate to get the basic shapes that I needed. I added my seam allowance once I cleaned up my tracing.

Lauren

Oooh! Actually, that's one I missed, but it's a great idea! For non vintage items, anyways lol Please, everyone, don't add tacky tape to vintage, especially fragile things. That would be sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy