Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Snookie

Practically Family
Depending on your patience with hand-sewing, it might be better to hand-sew your alterations with a thin yarn than to use a machine. I haven't knitted in a while -- maybe ask the experienced knitters on here for tips?

Rosie

One Too Many
I'll post a pic. It's a very thin gauge, and angora to boot. It looks as though it is knitted fabric that has been sewn into a sweater as opposed to a knitted sweater.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Does anyone know a source for silk jersey? I fell in *love* with the most gorgeous dress in the window of Guy Laroche (White, long sleeves, boat neck, no back, tiny pleats shaping all the panels, 6-foot layered train. Vintage style with a definite modern sensibility.) and I want to play with copying it.

BV

fleur

One of the Regulars
Here is my current work in progress. We have a posh christmas ball here to go to and I fell in love with the skirt as soon as I saw it. Along with some sewing lessons from my gran who is here with me I thought I would share how far I have gotten with my project.

Im making it in a nice heavy duchesse satin (or slipper satin as my gran calls it) and it drapes beautifully.

At the moment the kick panel is only tacked onto the main body of the skirt so I hope to be able to sort the puckering out.

Once this is finished I have seen a nice vogue pattern for a satin stole that I am going to make to wear with it.

I will say one thing..... give me curtains any time!!! I prefer to make those lol

fleur

One of the Regulars
Thanks Lady Day - its a huge glamour night so I am hoping to do my OH proud!

I am always in awe of how quick you manage to run up a large array of garments!!!! I am not worthy :eusa_clap

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
fleur said:
Thanks Lady Day - its a huge glamor night so I am hoping to do my OH proud!

I am always in awe of how quick you manage to run up a large array of garments!!!! I am not worthy :eusa_clap

Not worthy!? Oh plah-ease! I am just a learnin' person like yourself. We are all in the 'revolution' (said in bad French accent) to alert the world to better fashion.

I have a sweatshop of monkeys, they do all the work :)

LD

Kim_B

Practically Family
Question from a sewing newbie!!

I have a very newbie question regarding up-sizing a skirt...the waist is currently 27", and I'd need to add about 6" to get it to fit *comfortably.* My questions are:

1) is this even possible to add that much to an existing waistband?
and
2) what would be the easiest way to do it? Could I add a couple strips of elastic in places? Would it look odd?

I really love this skirt and it's about the closest thing to my size I can find without actually making one myself (no sewing machine yet and I need it before Christmas...)

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, ladies!!!

Rosie

One Too Many
Do you just want to add inches to the waist? Does everywhere else fit fine? I would try to find a very similar fabric and add a little over three inches to each side. If it's just the waist, you can sew some godets (v shaped pieces of fabric) to the waist area.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Yes the hip area has plenty of room, it is just the waist that is too small.

Thank you Rosie for you help!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For that drastic a resizing, Id suggest re-drafting the pattern.

You can buy tracing paper in a roll and trace each piece of the pattern, adjusting it as needed. I do that to ALL my patterns :) I never use the original vintage pattern.

Good luck!

LD

Elvgren_girl

New in Town
Simplicity 3322?

Hello, I think it was Shrinking Violet who had posted about the Simplicity 3322 pattern? Any luck with that? I plan to buy the pattern from Eva or the Vintage Fashion Library on ebay but alas, the 18 is also large for me as well. Would be interested in hearing about it!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I am SOOOO excited!

I am just so thrilled that I had to share my news!

I found a sewing class here and the teacher is actually a university lecturer in the day time. I was given her number by Sewing World Magazine and had a long chat with her on the telephone.

Her classes run in two areas, for beginners and more advanced. She teaches how to use your sewing machine (bring you own) and even pattern cutting and recycling clothes. I told her of my wish to use vintage patterns and she sounded as excited as me!

Course starts in January, woohoo! I can't wait to post my first creation in the 'look what I made' section. Even if it is just a skirt!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Elvgren_girl said:
Hello, I think it was Shrinking Violet who had posted about the Simplicity 3322 pattern? Any luck with that? I plan to buy the pattern from Eva or the Vintage Fashion Library on ebay but alas, the 18 is also large for me as well. Would be interested in hearing about it!

As for me, I haven't got around to it yet ... it's number two on my sewing projects list, though.
I'll definitely let you know how it turns out with the pattern resizing and everything. I plan on starting as soon as I find some cheapish fabric that's suitable. The lady at EvaDress is very helpful about explaining how to alter the pattern etc. so you shouldn't don't hesitate to e-mail her first.

Elvgren_girl

New in Town
Hi Violet! She is super helpful - I just ordered it from her as a matter of fact and yes I was very impressed with her service. Knowing 3322 is on its way is helpful encouragement to get [URL="http://theconfidentials.blogspot.com/2006/11/hot-cha-cha.html" target=blank]Vogue 9558 [/URL]done :)

2513.jpg%3D600.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
~landgirl~ said:
I am just so thrilled that I had to share my news!

I found a sewing class here and the teacher is actually a university lecturer in the day time. I was given her number by Sewing World Magazine and had a long chat with her on the telephone.

Her classes run in two areas, for beginners and more advanced. She teaches how to use your sewing machine (bring you own) and even pattern cutting and recycling clothes. I told her of my wish to use vintage patterns and she sounded as excited as me!

Course starts in January, woohoo! I can't wait to post my first creation in the 'look what I made' section. Even if it is just a skirt!

Awww super sickness! :eusa_clap
There is nothing better than learning what you want to learn. The REAL big difference from vintage patterns and modern are the 5/8'' seam allowance, a lot of super early patterns were not printed on (only preforated and thoes can be a HUGE pain), and the 'multiple sizes' that are printed on one pattern that modern patterns have today. Thats about it, really.

Anywho rock that class and walk out with sone super rad items!

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou