Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

epr25

Practically Family
I didn't want to start a new thread for a quick opinion question. I thought with all the sewing ladies in her you all might b able to help me.

I sell vintage clothes for a lady on Ebay. I have a beautiful Lili Ann mermaid skirt suit to sell for her. There are 7 buttons on the jacket. 2 in the front and 5 running up the back in a curve, just decoration. 4 of the 7 buttons are missing. The ones that are there are ugly and I am sure have been replaced at one time. I have been watching ebay and antique mall for a month or so and have not seen anything that would work or had enough buttons. Should I replace the buttons with some nice repro buttons or leave the button issues to the new buyer? What do you think?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
epr25 said:
I sell vintage clothes for a lady on Ebay. I have a beautiful Lili Ann mermaid skirt suit to sell for her. There are 7 buttons on the jacket. 2 in the front and 5 running up the back in a curve, just decoration. 4 of the 7 buttons are missing. The ones that are there are ugly and I am sure have been replaced at one time. I have been watching ebay and antique mall for a month or so and have not seen anything that would work or had enough buttons. Should I replace the buttons with some nice repro buttons or leave the button issues to the new buyer? What do you think?

I would replace them and note that they are replacements. A lot of people don't like buying items that need work. I personally will buy items that need work, but will not bid as much for an item that I'm going to have to put additional time and money into.

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
This pattern (see below) went for more on ebay than I could pay ($35 for... a copy, not even the original(!!))
But I love it enough to try some experimenting to get a similar look, so I am considering modifying this pattern from evadress if I can't find anything closer or cheaper.

My first question is, do you think there are also shirred pleats on the back of the evadress pattern?- I can't tell for sure- looks like not, but there is no back view to verify.

The second question is, should I try to eliminate the pleats at the front bodice shoulders (and back, if they exist), or will it look ok as is, with the rest of the details being kept similar (ruched short cap sleeves, open back detail, buttons) to the original? For some reason, it just seems like it'd be more difficult to eliminate those pleats without screwing up the shape, as compared to the rest of the changes... especially since I'll have to scale it up from 16 to at least a size 20 in any case. anyone have suggestions?
ff22_1.JPG

Snookie

Practically Family
Wow, that's a good match, JupitersD! I doubt the back view has any gathers, possibly just a little bit at the waist seam, but it would be awkward at the shoulders. If you want to be certain, though, maybe you could email the woman at evadress and ask, or request her to send you a back view? She really *should* have a back view posted.

IMO, eliminating the gathers at the shoulder seams is more trouble than it's worth, but it's your baby and if your dream dress has a smooth shoulder, well maybe you should do it. I think you would remove some of the excess gathering from the shoulder seam *and* the waist seam, and rotate the remaining fullness down to the waist seam, but that sure sounds like a lot of work (and probably 2 mockups!). As the back is the really interesting part, I'd focus on that.

Thanks for sharing! Those are both beautiful dresses.

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Snookie, for your reply. I'll be emailing the evadress lady for a back view. Thought it couldn't hurt to ask here in case someone had made it up!

I think I'll wait till I figure out what fabric to use before choosing a final position in the pleat/no pleat shoulder dilemma. Depending on how fiddly the fabric is, if I have to scale up to a 20 anyway (which will no doubt involve at least 2 mocks due to a short waist & FBA), I may just go ahead with eliminating it.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
JupitersDarling said:
This pattern (see below) went for more on ebay than I could pay ($35 for... a copy, not even the original(!!))
But I love it enough to try some experimenting to get a similar look, so I am considering modifying this pattern from evadress if I can't find anything closer or cheaper.

My first question is, do you think there are also shirred pleats on the back of the evadress pattern?- I can't tell for sure- looks like not, but there is no back view to verify.

The second question is, should I try to eliminate the pleats at the front bodice shoulders (and back, if they exist), or will it look ok as is, with the rest of the details being kept similar (ruched short cap sleeves, open back detail, buttons) to the original? For some reason, it just seems like it'd be more difficult to eliminate those pleats without screwing up the shape, as compared to the rest of the changes... especially since I'll have to scale it up from 16 to at least a size 20 in any case. anyone have suggestions?

Ive made this dress!
backdarts.jpg

The back, well part anyway.

It is super easy. There are 8 pieces total, and 3 of those are sleeve choices. There are no details on the back, but the collar does wrap all the way around (its built into the bodice) so if you are going to try and make the beautiful button opening, youll have to get creative.

I think its doable. Go for it and let us see how it turns out! :)

LD

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
It is super easy. There are 8 pieces total, and 3 of those are sleeve choices. There are no details on the back, but the collar does wrap all the way around (its built into the bodice) so if you are going to try and make the beautiful button opening, youll have to get creative.

I think its doable. Go for it and let us see how it turns out! :)

LD
OMG yay! :eusa_clap
Thanks Lady Day, seeing that was super duper helpful! I can now see I'll have to get even more creative, alright. :D (Good thing I like figuring out sewing puzzles, this one may take a while, hah.) I will certainly post pics when I get it done.

Smuterella

One Too Many
what would you ladies recommend as a starter project, I have the use of my flatmates sewing machine and need something very easy to start on....maybe a very simple skirt?

Sunny

One Too Many
A skirt is probably the easiest, yes. I'd pick one that's supposed to fit at the waist and isn't tight over the hips, so you don't have a lot of fitting to do. And the less full it is, the easier it is to get the hem level and sew it up. Good luck!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yup, what Sunny said. A nice a line skirt can go far! Make it with a simple band for the waist, then, as you get more confident, make one with a band cut on the bias, then one with a zipper.....

Its a great way to start :)

LD

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'm trying to find a pattern and don't know where to start, its like learning a language this. thanks for your help ladies.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You could make one up. An A line skirt is just that, shaped like the letter A. Place some sort of closure on the seam (buttons or what you like) and your sass factor just when up by 10!

Simplicity's site has a lot of 'easy sew' patterns that Im sure would be right up your alley. :)

LD

Smuterella

One Too Many
OK, I'm going to go play with the sewing machine now, I've ordered an A line and pencil skirt (very easy apparently...)

let the fun begin

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
what would you ladies recommend as a starter project, I have the use of my flatmates sewing machine and need something very easy to start on....maybe a very simple skirt?

I would not do a skirt, as it requires more fitting and whatever closure you do at the hip (buttons or zipper) is probably going to be too difficult if you're a beginner.

I would do an APRON. That's what I started with just to get used to reading patterns, how to lay out and cut fabric, how to fit pattern pieces together.

Then I moved on to a simple, unfitted dress without set in sleeves that pulled on over the head.

Now I'm moving on to a skirt, something with a zipper, things that require more fitting. Start with baby steps. When you try to take on too much too quickly, it's easy to get frustrated and overwhelmed. Even after making a few easier items using patterns, moving up to stuff that is a little more difficult and requires zippers or a little fitting can be incredibly frustrating and difficult.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
Thanks KittyT, I'm trying to download some free patterns for things like aprons, I'm loathe to buy one.

If you like, I can send you mine. I won't need it again.

I have this one:

pattern.jpg

Out of which I made this:

DSCF0123.jpg

I did a lot of tweaking like adding seam binding for a vintage look, modified the design of the top, and left off the frou-frou ruffles, but it's a pretty easy pattern. It does call for buttons to attach the shoulder straps to the waistband in back. Instead, I left that out and just made the straps tie behind my neck, because I didn't feel I was ready to attempt buttonholes! Also, views A and C look pretty easy and that hostess apron style is so cute!

I'll send you this pattern for the cost of shipping if you want it!

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
You could make one up. An A line skirt is just that, shaped like the letter A. Place some sort of closure on the seam (buttons or what you like) and your sass factor just when up by 10!

Simplicity's site has a lot of 'easy sew' patterns that Im sure would be right up your alley. :)

LD

you make buttons sound like a breeze, lady day!
my nan who was a seamstress alwasy told me that button holes were much harder than just fitting a zip. so i never thought about using buttons so far. i've been tryin stuff with zips and then adding a hook.

are they really that easy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy