Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have suggestions for using a ruffler foot on a featherweight to ruffle 60 yards of tutu netting? I'm trying to get a UFO petticoat done so it's not sitting there taunting me any longer.

I'm using a featherweight my grandma left me, because it's the only reliable working machine I've got with a ruffler attachment. I'm going blind here... never used a Featherweight, let alone a Singer ruffle foot!

The needle keeps coming out. I think the ruffler foot is jarring the needle bar. I've been stopping and checking to retighten. But now the ruffles have gotten smaller to nearly nonexistent. I swear it's still on "1", and I have the length screw in nearly all the way, so I'm mystified. I've only got about 20 yards ruffled so far, and I will lob this mass of tulle out the window if I end up having to hand-gather. Heeeeeelp?

I have finally got this project under control! YAY!! Thanks for all the tips! I am hoping to finish it up today.

CherryRed said:
Thank you MissAmelina for your tips. It just seeps so baggy in the bust to me for a fitted 50's blouse. The collar is the next step. I guess I will continue with that for now. I hadn't thought of the sleeves taking some in. I will give it a try.
Here is the pattern picture:
advance7837.jpg

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
I am sure some of you ladies will be able to help me with this one.

English is not my first (or second ;)) language and I am looking for a specific name...

I remember when my mother was young, in the 60's, and before her my grandmother etc, used some sort of little lead weights at the hem of their skirts, so that they would hang properly and the wind wouldn't be able to lift them so readily. They were available in a button like shape, to sew at intervals on the hem, and also in miniature "sausages" inside of a tube ribbon, to place all along the fold of the hem.

Anyone know what am I talking about? know the English name for it? even better, know when this may be acquired nowadays?

Thanks in advance!

Inky

One Too Many
Oh, i remember those - we had them in our coats as well.

We called them "hem weights" back when I taught sewing and they were a flat gray metal disk or sometimes even chain was used.

I haven't seen anything like this in a store lately though, but you could probably find something flat and heavy to use.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
I think you need strong needle nosed piers, and you pry apart the part that slides up and down, put the teeth back where they go and then press it back together. I have never had much luck with it, but ny husband is a wizard at it!

Also, ask at your favorite dry cleaners, they may know how.

I wanted to let you know your tip with the pliers worked perfectly, Thank you !!!

Rachael

A-List Customer
I am a disaster at searching, so please forgive the repeat question.

What fabric would work best for the base of a crinoline? I am making one to go with my new linen skirt this weekend and have yards upon yards of 10" wide net. I am planning to edge it with satin but would also like to line it and of course it will need a yoke. Would cotton do the trick or do I need something sleeker? And is there any benefit to making it of a knit or is a placket waistband just as good? I am so much better at Victorian or Edwardian underpinnings.

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Rachael said:
I am a disaster at searching, so please forgive the repeat question.

What fabric would work best for the base of a crinoline? I am making one to go with my new linen skirt this weekend and have yards upon yards of 10" wide net. I am planning to edge it with satin but would also like to line it and of course it will need a yoke. Would cotton do the trick or do I need something sleeker? And is there any benefit to making it of a knit or is a placket waistband just as good? I am so much better at Victorian or Edwardian underpinnings.

Got one thing I must say here... EDGE IT FIRST before ruffling. For some idiotic reason I didn't do that on the petticoat from hell I'm trying to finish, and now the thought of bias edging 45 yards of ruffle is terrifying. But the thought of trying to make 'over and under' ruffles from chiffon to keep it from scratching my legs is also terrifying.

As for the base/yoke, I'm trying to figure that out myself (the instructions call for a yoke of netting, which I am not too sure about seeing as it'd be scratchy and I'd have to figure out how to make the waistband lie right)... I'd be concerned a knit would stretch out. I don't see why cotton wouldn't work, as long as it's not rough enough to catch the fabric above.

Inky

One Too Many
I have both cotton and nylon tops on petticoats that I have made and purchased and both are fine. I made one where I used the top of an old nylon slip.

I've seen them as well where the top is the same netting and I agree, that would seem scratchy, but since you likely wore a girdle underneath the petticoat, it probably doesn't make a bit of difference.

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
My mom just commissioned me to make some square pillows for the couches in our house. I LOVE the fabric she picked out, it's kinda retro, which isn't usually her taste

anyways...I was wondering if anybody knew of any really good tutorials (blogs, videos, ect) online. I'm looking some up right now, but I don't want to miss any good ones.

cailinbeag

Familiar Face
Medvssa said:
I am sure some of you ladies will be able to help me with this one.

English is not my first (or second ;)) language and I am looking for a specific name...

I remember when my mother was young, in the 60's, and before her my grandmother etc, used some sort of little lead weights at the hem of their skirts, so that they would hang properly and the wind wouldn't be able to lift them so readily. They were available in a button like shape, to sew at intervals on the hem, and also in miniature "sausages" inside of a tube ribbon, to place all along the fold of the hem.

Anyone know what am I talking about? know the English name for it? even better, know when this may be acquired nowadays?

Thanks in advance!

If you can't find hem weights for apparel, you might have some luck with drapery. Weights are sold in both square and round shapes in varoius sizes. Also, there's a product called weighted drapery cord, which is used in the hem of drapes and sheers. It should do the trick, too. :)

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Yes, I have found the weight cords for curtains on Ebay.co.uk :)
I got two metres each of 25g/m and 50g/m to see what will work better for skirts :) It probably depends on the fabric though.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Hi gals!

I just bought a few sections of vintage fabric from an estate sale, but can't figure out how to wash them because I can't remember what the fabric is called. Help!

The fabric is sheer, but stiff. I have often seen it used for fancy half-aprons. I'm thinking it starts with an O. Organza, Organdy?? Anybody know?
If anyone knows how to wash it, that would save me the step of looking it up too.

Thanks a bunch!

Joie

cailinbeag

Familiar Face
Joie DeVive said:
Hi gals!

I just bought a few sections of vintage fabric from an estate sale, but can't figure out how to wash them because I can't remember what the fabric is called. Help!

The fabric is sheer, but stiff. I have often seen it used for fancy half-aprons. I'm thinking it starts with an O. Organza, Organdy?? Anybody know?
If anyone knows how to wash it, that would save me the step of looking it up too.

Thanks a bunch!

Joie

It could be either organdy or organza. Organdy is stiff sheer cotton, while organza is (traditionally) silk or (more commonly) synthetic. The easiest way to find out is to do a fiber burn test. Take a thin, long cutting (doesn't have to be much, just a little scrap) and light it over a metal bowl or the sink. If it burns and chars, it's a natural. The odor of burning paper means it's cotton, and the odor of burning feathers or hair means it's silk. If it burns and melts, it's synthetic. The odor of celery and a hard grey bead indicates nylon, the odor of vinegar and a hard, irregular ash is acetate, and the odor of sweet chemicals and a hard round black bead means it's polyester.

Because of the age of the fabric, regardless of the fiber content, I would recommend hand washing it. It's the least stressful method for the fabric.

Hope that helps! :)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
B4513.jpg

Are the measurements on the pattern peices for this correct? It seams like it has an awful lot of ease and I can't image that I would make this in a size 10 when my actual measurements are more like a 14/16. Have any of you ladies made this pattern?

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
I have made this dress. As my measurements are larger than the printed size, it fit me perfectly. I do believe there's more ease then usual maybe because there is no zipper.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
cailinbeag said:
It could be either organdy or organza. Organdy is stiff sheer cotton, while organza is (traditionally) silk or (more commonly) synthetic.

Thanks a bunch!! I'm guessing that what I have is Organdy from the way it burned. I hand washed it, but because of how it was stored, some of it has browned, especially along the fold lines. I'm guessing that getting it out is a lost cause, and I'll have to just cut around it, but if anyone has any ideas for getting the discoloration out, that would be fabulous.

Also one more weird question, I also bought a small piece of white velvet at the same sale (probably no more than 12"x16"). I know it needs to be dry cleaned, but will a cleaners do it?? I've never brought in something so unusual before....

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Hey everyone. Just got a whole bunch of fabric from my mother who is remodeling and getting rid of a lot of stuff. Just a quick question, 'cause I want to make something to put on the thread. What would you all make out of gabardine? It is a rather small amount and deep green. Any ideas?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gabardine is a wonder weave :D, practically wrinkle free, it can be use for anything! I love wool for slacks and dresses and even handbags. I guess it depends on how much you have.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy