Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

miss_killin

Familiar Face
Success!

I completed my first sewing project yesterday and am pretty proud :)
A bit eccentric but it was fun to make. I didn't realize you needed a full size pattern :eusa_doh: and had printed one off of the internet, so I had to draw it to scale. My tracing paper wasn't big enough so I used a poster board from my drugstore :eek: horrible idea might I add, very difficult to work with hahaha. I took some netting from a dress I will never fit into again and added it to the bottom, and sewed a couple buttons on the top for fun. Oh and please excuse the mess and the grey pj's, it was veeeery late when I finished lol

Picture015.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture016.jpg

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Circle skirt hem

I've made my first circle skirt. It turned out great; I even matched the plaids. Now all that's left to do is the narrow hem and I'm not sure how to approach it. Because it's a circle skirt I'm anticipating a lot of easing in. Are there any tricks to making a narrow hem for a circle skirt easy/painless?

The Shirt

Practically Family
I barely know how to sew and am attempting a vintage pattern. The ruched one shown. I have it pieced toghether and am trying to figure out how to do gathers. Do you simply baste it down and then attach it to the stay on the wrong side? This is done by hand right? Anyone have any tricks to it?

Picture066.jpg

I have the stay currently pinned on the wrong side at 6 points as it was marked on the pattern.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I've sort of had it in mind of late that I might like to learn to sew -- when I see patterns for vintage menswear, it makes me wish I could make them (especially since I have no one in my life who sews).

I do have some questions, though, for your experts: First, am I right that sewing requires a lot of space? I live in Manhattan, and our one-bedroom apartment is modestly sized.

Second, are sewing lessons the way to go, if one has never sewn before?

And third, I wonder if anyone's ever found a place to rent time on a sewing machine? It seems that, in a city like Manhattan, that might be an option, but I have no idea if any places rents out time in that fashion (we just don't have the room for me to have a sewing machine at home, I fear).

Finally, if I did find a place to rent time on a sewing machine, how long would it take me to get good enough to make a pair of dress trousers, say, that I could be proud to wear? What's the learning curve like?

Okay, enough questions -- I'll sit back and let you slap me back to reality with the cold, hard facts.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Skyvue, have you Googled local business in your area to see if they offer classes and such? Sewing boutiques, sewing school, Im sure there are some in the city.

As far as space, I think it relative to what you are doing, how organized you are, and how you can reuse the same space for multiple things.
In my old apartment, I had a corner for my sewing, that I used also for my freelance and art projects. Just think of how much space you want to dedicate for dewing and go from there.

LD

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Miss Killin, your first project is awesome! Way to go! Love the cherry print and the added tulle. I'm sure you've been bitten by the sewing bug now.

Skyvue check your local colleges. Our community college offers sewing classes.

What takes the most space is a place to cut our your patterns, and, if you get hooked, a place to store all your fabrics and notions.

I would invest in a machine rather than renting, they're really not that much anymore. See what the classes offer first, some make you bring your own machine in.

A machine in a case can easily be set up at your dining room table, or perhaps a folding card table. You could keep your project in a suitcase or something, which would hold all of your fabrics, notions, patterns and such that you would need and it could be neatly tucked out of site when you're not working on it.

I urge you to check it out! I'm certainly no pro, nor advanced in any way... but it is it so much fun and gratifying to make something!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Skyvue, also check out the sewing books at the library or go to a fabric shop and look.

I've been told that the newest edition of the Reader's Digest Complete book of sewing is best... I have the 70's version and there IS tons of info. I like it because it shows how to remedy things that are not laying right, ect...

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
MarieAnne said:
I've made my first circle skirt. It turned out great; I even matched the plaids. Now all that's left to do is the narrow hem and I'm not sure how to approach it. Because it's a circle skirt I'm anticipating a lot of easing in. Are there any tricks to making a narrow hem for a circle skirt easy/painless?

There are a few choices when it comes to hemming. My Mom always swore by hem tape, particularly with full skirted designs. She found that it made it easier to ease. You machine sew the tape to the edge of the skirt, and then turn under, press and hem. I happen to be a big believer in hand hemming, but that can be a bear if there is a lot of yardage. Just my $.02. :)

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
skyvue said:
I've sort of had it in mind of late that I might like to learn to sew -- when I see patterns for vintage menswear, it makes me wish I could make them (especially since I have no one in my life who sews).

I do have some questions, though, for your experts: First, am I right that sewing requires a lot of space? I live in Manhattan, and our one-bedroom apartment is modestly sized.

Second, are sewing lessons the way to go, if one has never sewn before?

And third, I wonder if anyone's ever found a place to rent time on a sewing machine? It seems that, in a city like Manhattan, that might be an option, but I have no idea if any places rents out time in that fashion (we just don't have the room for me to have a sewing machine at home, I fear).

Finally, if I did find a place to rent time on a sewing machine, how long would it take me to get good enough to make a pair of dress trousers, say, that I could be proud to wear? What's the learning curve like?

Okay, enough questions -- I'll sit back and let you slap me back to reality with the cold, hard facts.

Check out Make Workshop in Manhattan and 3rd Ward in Brooklyn. I believe they both offer sewing classes. I think Etsy labs in Brooklyn has times where you can rent a machine. I concur with what others have said, sewing doesn't have to take up a lot of space. Unless you're a fabric/pattern hoarder like I am.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Skyvue, good for you! I used to teach sewing and I think it's wonderful whenever men take the plunge. No offense, ladies, but men tend to pick it up quicker. I think being in NYC, you should have access to classes. If you are a hands-on learner, classes are probably the way to go. If you are someone who can teach himself a new skill through a book, teaching yourself might be better if time and money are an issue. Typically, men's tailoring involves more specialty skills and materials, which would need advanced classes, if you are planning to make your own suits or jackets. As for space, one can make do with as little or as much as one has. In my first apartment, I sewed on my dinning room table and laid out fabric down my hall for cutting. I think that would be the minimum space needed. I know some of those NYC apts are VERY small. It just means you have to stay tidy while you sew. I've never heard of renting a machine, but you could call dealers and see if they have ideas. If you take a class, they might have machines for students to use.

MarieAnne said:

If it were me, I would hand sew it. It will pucker when it is pinned, but as you hand stich it it will be easier to ease it then on the machine. It's the perfect thing to do while watching and old movie.

AnnaMaria

New in Town
MarieAnne said:

I like to hem circle skirts with bias tape. What's important is to let the skirt hang for a while (1-2 weeks) before hemming, because parts of the skirt is on the bias and will stretch, making the skirt uneven. So let it hang and then adjust the edge so it has the same lenght all over and then hem it.

You can use those clip on weights for table cloths to make it strech faster!

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
You can also make a facing for the hem, for perfect hems of any shape. Just cut strips of fabric along the bottom part of the skirt pattern pieces, sew right sides togheter, press, turn towards the inside, and hand sew the strips to the inside. No puckering, no ease to deal with :D

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
French/Tailor's curve?

Okey dokey....I am in the market for a tailor's curve or ruler. I just got a gift certificate for amazon and would like to use that for the purchase. Can I get any old set of french curves, or are there certain specs I need to be aware of first? I wanted to get the rulers offered on the lutterloh site,

http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/lutterloh-the-golden-rule-tailor-and-design-curves_p-3632637_xp.aspx

since I recently acquired an old lutterloh book but I am not finding them on amazon. I can find them in a couple other places, just not there.

Any and all suggestions would be fab. Thanks!!;)

Miss RM

Familiar Face
Hi MissAmelina,

I recently started using Lutterloh patterns and went out and bought the only french curve I could buy in town. It's nothing fancy at all, but I've found it to be so useful! You don't really need the special ones at all ... although they might be better quality plastic. I find mine a bit too bendy and I'm afraid I'll break it if I'm not a little careful.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm tired of searching eBay for a full slip in my size. I have a pattern, but I don't know what fabric to use. I know modern slips are usually nylon tricot, but that would be hot in the summer. Silk charmuse might work, but would it hold up to repeated washings and my only experience with silk charmuse is a blouse that always sticks to me in humid weather. Any ideas?

miss_killin

Familiar Face
I purchased a simplicity pattern for a skirt and went to the fabric store yesterday to get my goods. I realized I had forgotten to measure myself :eek: and borrowed a tape from the counter. I currently wear about a size 12 or 14 in "normal" clothes. However, when I measured my waist and hips the sizes were outrageous compared to the chart. Also my waist measurement said I should be one size, and my hips 2 sizes bigger. I have olny made an apron so far and want to start making myself some actual clothes. I need some help! :(

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
miss_killin said:
I purchased a simplicity pattern for a skirt and went to the fabric store yesterday to get my goods. I realized I had forgotten to measure myself :eek: and borrowed a tape from the counter. I currently wear about a size 12 or 14 in "normal" clothes. However, when I measured my waist and hips the sizes were outrageous compared to the chart. Also my waist measurement said I should be one size, and my hips 2 sizes bigger. I have olny made an apron so far and want to start making myself some actual clothes. I need some help! :(

The first step is to forget what size you wear in RTW (ready to wear). For modern patterns, it can translate to 2-3 sizes bigger. For vintage patterns, it's even more. Don't go by the size number, go by the finished measurement of the pattern. As for hips and waist being different sizes, this is not unusual. Get the size that fits your hips, then take the pattern in to the size that fits your waist. Is the pattern a new one or one of the Simplicity vintage reprints? If yes, it should have the finished measurements printed right on the pattern pieces. Use those as your guide to cutting, not the chart. Remember, you need to have some ease. If the pattern says the hips are exactly your hip measurment, you need to go up a size.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley