Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shampoo

MissQueenie

Practically Family
All right -- I apologize up front: this is not directly vintage related. But the fact is, I can't do any vintage styles with my hair in this condition, so the sooner it is rectified the better!

I've been having a Shampoo Saga, laden with bad hair days and other unspeakable horrors. I am looking for a good shampoo/conditioner brand and thought I'd ask the lovely ladies in our powder room for some much needed guidance.

It all began the week of thanksgiving, when I was lured into the LUSH cosmetics shop and promptly purchased two deliciously scented shampoo bars, thinking the solid shampoo format would be compact and perfect for travel. The first bar stripped my hair in a single wash -- I went from glossy bounce to dessicated straw in 10 minutes, even after gobs of (non-lush) conditioner. The second day, my hair was still squeaky clean and flatter and duller than I have ever seen it. I gave it one more shot, and with the results of my first experiment repeated, I thought I would try the second bar. Same results, only my hair felt oddly "coated" and was slightly less dull.

Off I went, back to LUSH to return the horrid products of doom. My roommate and the sales woman talked me into trying two of their liquid products -- Cythnia Sylvia Stout shampoo and American Cream conditioner. I tried these products with a hopeful heart, but again -- stripping, straw like appearance, and my head smells like baby powder.

I plan to pawn the stuff off on my roommate (curse her!) and find something that won't continue to make my mornings so demoralizing. :cry: She recommends Systeme Biolage, which is available at drug stores these days. Any other suggestions? I'm at my wit's end.

~ Queenie.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Ooh. I've only used their stuff once, at the salon on my graduation day, but my hair looked great! I'll ask about it next time I go in for a cut. How much does the shampoo usually run?

decodoll

Practically Family
Ugh! YES!! Lush's shampoos and conditioners are horrid! I love Pureology. It seems expensive, but I only have to use a nickel sized amount on my long hair, so it's really not so bad. If you dye your hair it's even better. It doesn't fade red as fast as others.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Thank you! I thought I was the only person who had a traumatic LUSH experience! I'll look up Pureology too -- I've never heard of it. Is it a salon product?

decodoll

Practically Family
It is, but unlike Bumble and Bumble, I can find it at my local beauty supply store as well. My stylist recommended it.

Lush has some great things, but hair products I don't number among them!

D

Deleted member 259

If you're looking for something that can be found in the lower price range and just about anywhere - Dove shampoo & foam conditioner work wonders on my uncooperative curls.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I second Pureology. The new salon I work at is all organic and only uses this line. As a hairstylist of the past 15 years,I can say this is the best shampoos and conditioners that I have ever worked with. Even the volumizing line is not terribly drying.
Also,they have a styling lotion that sets hair beautifully.Bouncy and shiny hair!

decodoll

Practically Family
rubyredlocks said:
I second Pureology. The new salon I work at is all organic and only uses this line. As a hairstylist of the past 15 years,I can say this is the best shampoos and conditioners that I have ever worked with. Even the volumizing line is not terribly drying.
Also,they have a styling lotion that sets hair beautifully.Bouncy and shiny hair!

The Volumizing is what I use. I've never tried the styling lotion. I'll have to pick some up. :)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Where can you buy Pureology? I'm wondering if Ulta3 sells it.

I've been using Melaleuca products lately.

On the cheaper end if you need a heavy conditioner (although I wouldn't use it regularly), try Aussie 3 minute miracle or maybe Pantene products, although Pantene almost creates a coating on my hair and makes it flat, but I can see it helping out poofy dry hair.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
ITG said:
Where can you buy Pureology? I'm wondering if Ulta3 sells it.

I've been using Melaleuca products lately.

I don't use their hair care, but I use pretty much everything else of theirs...

*returns the thread to hair care*

I used to really like Tigi stuff.....but having totally different hair then yours...hard to make recommendations

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm just going to slowly work my way through a variety of shampoos until I find one that works again. My hair is schizophrenic.

I appreciate the moral support ;)

FedoraGirl

New in Town
i also go for dove

carpecaligo said:
If you're looking for something that can be found in the lower price range and just about anywhere - Dove shampoo & foam conditioner work wonders on my uncooperative curls.

agreed! last time i got my hair cut i asked the stylist what "grocery store" brand would be best (and affordable)...she said Dove. i must say it is very nice. doesn't strip away any natural shine or softness. i've been using the 2-in-1 for a few months now and love it.

Siirous

One of the Regulars
Not that I'm a woman...

...but at one point I did have hair down past my shoulder blades. I always liked Redken All Soft. I went to a new stylist recently she said I should switch to a mens shampoo, then when she wet my hair and realized how thin it was at 20 years old she said "Oh honey child, if your only 20 and that thin it just don't matter so keep on usin' what you like"

Sincerely,
Rob

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Can any of you ladies recommend a good shampoo that is organic and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate free? I tried a bunch of the JASON brand shampoos, but they weren't mousturizing enough for my hair. I'm currently using Giovanni brand shampoo, which I loved at first but now my hair is starting to look frizzy and lifeless again. I think it's time to switch to new brand and alternate monthly between the Giovanni brand and the new brand, so my hair doesn't get used to the shampoo.

Oh, and I have thick curly hair that I dye, so I'm on a constant search for a shampoo that can tame the frizzies and make my hair shiny.

Thanks!

Aorta

Familiar Face
BeBopBaby, I can recommend Aubrey Organic's "Honeysuckle Shampoo" plus the matching conditioner. I used both products some while ago and they were really pampering my hair. I switched to the AO "Rosa Mosqueta" line, because my hair is fine and stick-straight and the honeysuckle line was a bit too much for me, but since you have curly bleached hair it might be perfect for you.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
MissQueenie, these are two brands which have organic/natural shampoos available in USA and should be gentle on your hair.
-Avalon Organics
-Nature's Gate

-John Masters, expensive but very good. (Off topic, his hair pomade is the best I have ever known).

-Alchemy, an Australian brand, i use this most of the time.

There are many others, but you can give these a try to begin with.

Hope this help :)

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Here are my current top 3 favorite shampoos:
Garnier Fructis for colored hair
Perlier White Almond 2 in 1
Yves Rocher Energie 3 in 1

These are really, really good!! :D

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Pureology is also sulfate free. As well as Simply Organic,and Davines.

Side note:
The Davines has a shampoo and conditioner called Love for harsh and frizzy hair. Practically magic for curly dehydrated hair!

lyburnum

Practically Family
I swear by Kerastase shampoo. It was first bought for me by my aunt when I bleached my hair from black to blonde, in order to rescue it. I haven't gone back to highstreet brands since. It makes my hair fantastically shiny ( I get comments on it all the time), it makes it easy to work with, and I only need to use a small amount to wash my hair every other morning. It's expensive but totally worth it. [While I was in America recently I decided to just use my boyfriends family's shampoo which was Herbal Essences and my hair ended up horribly dull and knotty - which just made me more determined to stick with kerastase in future] There are different colours for different types of hair, bain de force (green bottle) is probably the one I'd recommend for you.

However if you're not so keen on shelling out all that money for shampoo then I would still recommend getting a conditioning treatment to rescue your hair. You only have to use it every 1-2 weeks, and your hair should feel wonderful afterwards. You could also try going to your salon for a deep conditioning treatment. I went for one when my hair was completely destroyed by bleach and it did wonders, and it only cost me about $10.

A lot of salons stock sample sizes of their products, so it may be worth asking around for samples rather than shelling out lots of money on different products you don't know if you'll like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo