Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share with us Your Vintage Cocktail Recipes!

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Loungers,

I've been dying for weeks to post a Vintage Cocktail Recipes thread. And now that we have the 'Vices' area, I can do it now! I have a load of vintage cocktail knowledge and I'd like to share vintage cocktail recipes. In my travels, the two 'cocktail bibles' in my experience for vintage cocktails are:

1. Ted Saucier's "Bottom's Up", originally published in the 40's.

- and -

2. Esquire's Handbook for Hosts, Late 40's Publishing.

So, my addition to this thread is:

Very Old Fashioned, Old Fashioned:

This can be made with Rye or Bourbon.

- One piece of Lemon Peel
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Two splashes of Orange Bitters
- Bourbon or Rye

Muddle the lemon peel, sugar, and bitters in an Old Fashioned Glass. Add ice, but not much. Fill with either the Rye or Bourbon.

---

So that's mine folks, and I'll add one each week. Do you have any to share?

FG.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I posted this recipe on another thread sometime ago, but I can't remember which thread. The recipe I'm putting forth was very popular in the mid to late 1930s into the war years, and was especially popular with RAF personnel. It's called the "Suffering ba***rd".
In a tumbler you would mix:
1 shot of Gin
1 shot of Brandy
a dash of lime juice
a dash of Angostura Bitters
Fill the remainder of the way with Ginger Beer
Top with a slice of lime.
This is meant to be served "on the rocks".

Enjoy! :cheers1:

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Spicy!

KilroyCD said:
I posted this recipe on another thread sometime ago, but I can't remember which thread. The recipe I'm putting forth was very popular in the mid to late 1930s into the war years, and was especially popular with RAF personnel. It's called the "Suffering ba***rd".
In a tumbler you would mix:
1 shot of Gin
1 shot of Brandy
a dash of lime juice
a dash of Angostura Bitters
Fill the remainder of the way with Ginger Beer
Top with a slice of lime.
This is meant to be served "on the rocks".

Enjoy! :cheers1:

That sounds so spicy with the Ginger Beer, but I wonder how the lime juice and the acidity helps balance it out. Guess I'm going to have to try it tonight! And I wonder what it would taste like with Pechaud's Bitters?

FG.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
FedoraGent said:
That sounds so spicy with the Ginger Beer, but I wonder how the lime juice and the acidity helps balance it out. Guess I'm going to have to try it tonight! And I wonder what it would taste like with Pechaud's Bitters?

FG.
I would suppose Pechaud's Bitters would work just as well, and if you don't have Ginger Beer, Ginger Ale would be a substitute. However, the taste would not be as bold.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Isn't that the point?

KilroyCD said:
I would suppose Pechaud's Bitters would work just as well, and if you don't have Ginger Beer, Ginger Ale would be a substitute. However, the taste would not be as bold.
Isn't that the point that the drink should be bold? Changing the Ginger Beer to ale would be a crime and would take the kick out of the drink IMHO.

FG.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
FedoraGent said:
Isn't that the point that the drink should be bold? Changing the Ginger Beer to ale would be a crime and would take the kick out of the drink IMHO.

FG.
Absolutely right there, but Ginger Beer is not as readily available here in the US. If you order this drink in a bar, they never have Ginger Beer, so I've grown accustomed to drinking a less bold version.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Right.

KilroyCD said:
Absolutely right there, but Ginger Beer is not as readily available here in the US. If you order this drink in a bar, they never have Ginger Beer, so I've grown accustomed to drinking a less bold version.

You're so right, there are very few places with Ginger Beer. And those that do have very little of it. Don't settle for second best, have another cocktail up your sleeve for them to make. For instance, very few places can make a Pisco Punch. Pretty much said, they NEVER have Pisco.

FG.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Bevmo is around the corner

KilroyCD said:
FG, I'm curious to hear what you think of the "Suffering ba***rd". Let me know once you've tried it.
Bevmo is around the corner and they have Ginger Beer, I'll go get some tomorrow and try it. I'll let you know.

Does anyone have any other recipes to share? I hope we're not all tea totalers.

FG.

carter

I'll Lock Up
There are a lot of cocktail "bibles" in existence. The Old Mr. Boston's Bartender's Guide originated in the mid 30's and Trader Vic's originated in the mid '40's.

Here's a classic recipe that spawned numerous variations.

Manhattan

1 1/2 oz Rye Whiskey
1/3 oz sweet vermouth
dash Angostura bitters

Stir and serve on the rocks in an old-fashioned glass.
Garnish with a maraschino cherry.

Miss Roulette

New in Town
We have a large collection of cocktail books, about half vintage and half modern. We have just been given an edition of the Old Mr. Boston's Bartender's Guide but our most used book is the Savoy Cocktail Book.

My two favourites from the Savoy Cocktail book are

Sweet Patotie
1/4 Orange Juice
1/4 Cointreau
1/2 Dry Gin

Tempter
1/2 Port
1/2 Apricot Brandy

Both shaken with ice and served in a cocktail glass.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
1938 in a glass!! Paddy's Champagne Cocktail.

Paddy's 1938 Champagne Cocktail (Courteousy of the Savoy, London).

1. Bottle of Champagne or Cava.
2. Sugar lump
3. Bottle of Angosturas Bitters
4. Ice
5. Cocktail glass
6. Lemon
7. Orange

1. Sugar lump in button of glass
2. Soak lump with Angosturas Bitters
3. Lump of ice to cover/protect the sugar lump
4. Pour onto the ice cube the Champagne
5. Squeeze tea spoon of lemon juice over floating ice
5. Decorate with piece of sliced orange.
6. Sit back and enjoy!!

VOILA- 1938 in a glass!!

chorus_girls_1610.jpg

olive bleu

One Too Many
Now PADDY, that sounds like something that could be very habit -forming :)and nice visual instructions..even I could do that!

Except for the martini, I really don't drink many other cocktails. However, I DID post this one in the "cold remedies" thread, and will contribute it again here.The weather is turning colder here already, fall is in the air and it is grey and wet (..my favourite weather,actually)I love a HOT TODDY, not just when i have a cold, but anytime I just need to get the chill out of my bones or can't sleep....:)

1 & 1/2 ounces Whiskey ( or more to taste:p )
1 ounce Honey
1/3 ounce Lemon Juice
3 ounces Water (Hot)

sometimes i also add cinnamon or nutmeg.

DerMann

Practically Family
Gin and Tonic

Using a thick bottomed tumbler, combine dry London gin and fresh, chilled tonic water in a 1:2 mixture over ice and a piece of lemon.

I find that having the lemon over the ice allows for some of the flavour to seep out without making it too strong. Marvelous stuff on a hot day.

Mojito

One Too Many
How did I miss Paddy's gorgeous photo essay earlier in this thread? I love a champagne cocktail, and this looks like an interesting variation (the ice cube intrigues me).

Love a Caprihina, Hadley - I have great Uruguayan-Australian friends who always bring a bottle or two of Cachaca back when they visit Uruguay.

Every now and then, when the mood hits just right, I rather like a Boxcar - a variation on the Tom Collins family, and close to classic Pink Lady (not the 1960s - present day Pink Lady made with cream):

1 part Grenadine
1 part Lemon
2 parts Gin
Dash of eggwhite
Shake with ice

maff2k

New in Town
KilroyCD said:
FG, I'm curious to hear what you think of the "Suffering ba***rd". Let me know once you've tried it.

Well, I for one have been enjoying this thread immensely. went out and bought all the ingredients to make one. My wife and I loved the "Suffering B'stard".

We've just bought some cocktail glasses off ebay to try the Champagne Cocktail next.

Please let me have more to try!

Matthew

ruthcrowder

New in Town
Hi All! I have one vintage cocktail recipe to share with you guyz-"The Bronx"

The Bronx cocktail was listed in “The World’s 10 Most Famoust Cocktails in 1934.” It ranked number 3 among the list, behind Martini and Manhattan. This cocktail is a variation of the Martini with orange juice added into its ingredients.

Ingredients:

30ml (6 parts) Gin
15ml (3 parts) Sweet Red Vermouth
10ml (2 parts) Dry Vermouth
15ml (3 parts) Orange juice

Glass:

Cocktail glass

Preparation:

Pour all ingredients into a shaker filled with ice cubes.
Shake well and pour into a chilled glass.
Garnish with orange twist.

Expect more vintage recipes from you guyz!!!

gear-guy

Practically Family
Don't forget about the Moscow mule. A 1940's drink brought back from the brink by Opra.
Copper Mug
ice
2 oz vodka
1/2 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
Finish off with ginger beer
Having trouble finding ginger beer? Health food stores, and Kroger in their health food section almost always carry it.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
For anyone that's interested, I've got a very early 1930s "bartender's bible" entitled the Legend of Wines and Spirits. Anyone wants to know a drink recipe or history or toast, I've got it. drop me a dime!

-Evan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner