Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Aviation Cocktail

FedoraGent

One Too Many
I was going to have a cocktail party in honor of Paddy on Monday night...

However due to business I will be traveling to San Antonio and will not get the opportunity to see him off. Rather unfortunate.

FG.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
The chain Beverages and More! (BevMo!) carries both Luxardo and Creme de Violette. I highly recommend Luxardo as staple mixer, it will not go to waste; it's a major component in tons of golden era cocktails.

My suggestion on this drink is to take it easy on the Luxardo and Violette. They are both very syrupy and potent in flavor, so use a VERY conservative 2 dashes.

Also, go easy on the simple syrup that some variations call for - 2 dashes is MORE then enough, I wouldn't go for the 1/2 teaspoon in the recipe MK found unless you want a very sweet drink.

Just my humble 2 cents as a former sauce-slinger (but, pdxvintagette says my Aviations are better then anybody else's).

FedoraGent

One Too Many
The First Bishop of Booze makes the best..

While in SF, you both need to visit the First Bishop of Booze at the Presidio Social Club in the Presidio. Ask for Tim at the bar.

FG.
Second Bishop of Booze; COS

Guttersnipe said:
The chain Beverages and More! (BevMo!) carries both Luxardo and Creme de Violette. I highly recommend Luxardo as staple mixer, it will not go to waste; it's a major component in tons of golden era cocktails.

My suggestion on this drink is to take it easy on the Luxardo and Violette. They are both very syrupy and potent in flavor, so use a VERY conservative 2 dashes.

Also, go easy on the simple syrup that some variations call for - 2 dashes is MORE then enough, I wouldn't go for the 1/2 teaspoon in the recipe MK found unless you want a very sweet drink.

Just my humble 2 cents as a former sauce-slinger (but, pdxvintagette says my Aviations are better then anybody else's).

Brooksie

One Too Many
MK said:
I now am the proud owner of all the ingredients for an Aviation cocktail.

The lemon juice needs to be added lightly. Creme da violette is wonderful!

So ya gonna have cocktail party now and invite us Floungers? Just kidding! I tried one of the Aviation cocktails (I think I was calling it an Aviator - must have been getting it confused with a movie or some such nonsense). I enjoyed it very much and thought it was very refreshing especially after a night of non stop talking.

Brooksie

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

A local mixologist and I played with the new additions to my liquid arsenal. Following the 1916 recipe makes the drink too tart. My guess is the lemon juice she uses is too potent. She added a bit of sugar syrup which balanced the taste. I don't have much experience with lemon juice. Do you guys squeeze your own (No Led Zepplin quotes please)? I feel that hers needed to be cut with water.

As I stated above, Creme da violette is wonderful liqueur. I am surprised it is so obscure. The bartender who did the experiment with me loved it and immediately ordered some for their bar.

rumblefish

One Too Many
^I usually start with squeezing half a lemon and add the same amount of maraschino. Then add the gin accordingly. And just a splash of creme de violette per glass. I'm having one tonight as a matter of fact.

My brother brings up Meyer lemons from his tree in Florida, boy that makes a hell of an aviation! One lemon offers up a lot of juice, you can make about eight aviations with just one. They're bit sweeter than the garden variety lemons too. Save some Meyers to make lemonade for the Pimm's.;)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
MK said:
Creme da violette is wonderful!

Great, another hard-to-find bottle for me to hunt down.lol

I'd like to try both an Aviation and a Blue Moon. Maybe I can find the necessary ingredients on one of my trips to Denver.

Brad

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Add this one to your list of ingredients:

Rouge Gorge :

8 parts Cotes du Rhone, 5 parts good quality gin - Tanqueray or Hendricks, 3 parts Crème de Mure. Mix well, and serve slightly chilled in a brandy glass.

The combination sounds strange, but the perfume of the gin combines with the violet aromas of the Rhone wine and the fruitiness of the Crème de Mure to create an absolutely bewitching - and lethal - cocktail.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

The link to Rumblefish's one-stop-shopping for the Aviation has a different recipe:

1.5 oz. House Spirits "Aviation" Gin
.5 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
.5 oz. Rothman & Winter Creme de Violette Liqueur
1 tsp Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

I tried this tonight. Even with the higher ration of Creme de Violette, the lemon juice still makes it too tart for my palate. I added a bit more Maraschino to help balance. I am thinking of cutting the lemon juice in half of the above formula. I am wondering if the Rose's Lime juice would be a better. I am thinking...or rather writing...out loud....but I bet this would do the trick.

I am pursuing this because I think that this could be a truly excellent and different cocktail once the balance is achieved.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Tonight's experiment was the recipe above minus the lemon juice. It was much better. Perhaps I am not a lemon juice fan because I don't know why someone would make the drink that sour....much less the Trader Vic formula that calls for more lemon juice than gin!!!

I may still try substituting the lemon juice for Rose's Lime Juice.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Welcome to Paddy's Aviation Cocktail Bar (VIDEO)

LostCity.jpg

I Haven't tried this before, so if it doesn't work or if it does work and looks rather amateurish...well it's my first go, so cut me some slack schmuck, okay ;)

Right, this is HOW TO MAKE my fav COCKTAIL ...The (1916) AVIATION..!:eusa_clap As enjoyed by myself and FedoraGent.

It's a rigmaroll to get, as you have to then DOWNLOAD IT (Seel link below), but hopefully you'll enjoy it!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ap8G-JTYDvA

Pip

A-List Customer
Fantastic Paddy, I'll have to pick up a bottle of the Creme De Violette when I'm up in Edinburgh.

Looks absolutely delicious though.

Thanks! ;)

rumblefish

One Too Many
Absinthe_1900 said:
The version on You Tube doesn't have Crème de Violette in the recipe, which is essential in making a proper Aviation Cocktail.

Yeah, and I thought it was called an Aviation because the creme de violette made the drink look the way the sky does at dusk.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gents...

I'm working on compressing the file [huh] And YES...my one (from 1916 - the only GOOD thing to come out of that year of death and destruction), has the Creme de Violette. The C de V. separates the 16 from the 30, just like things separate humanity from barbarians ;)

AGREED...the C de V. makes it the special drink that it truely is :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner