Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

freebird

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Excellent. I am a fan of the Ogallala stuff. I'll try and pick this up. Thanks!

No problem. I picked this bottle up from a bst thread on a shaving forum, the previous owner didn't quite like strong bay rum, but I do. lol

freebird

Practically Family
vintage scuttle/mug
Ogallala bay rum soap (sample)
Omega silver handled pure bristle brush
Illinois Strop Co. strop
Black Bear brand strop
Clauss 6/8 spike
Expert Barber 6/8 spike
Ogallala Bay Rum A/S toner
Alum

20 passes on the linen, 20 passes on the leather for the Clauss.
Started using the Clauss, but it is going to have to go for a touch up, not sharp enough for me.

So in mid shave I switched to the Expert Barber 400, knowing it was sharp. I gave the Expert Barber 20 passes on the Black Bear leather side.

I'm becoming addicted to Ogallala Bay Rum. It is hard to choose between Cavendish Black and the OBR.

2 passes, the first with the Clauss, the second with the Expert Barber. Hot water rinse, alum, cold water rinse then applied OBR a/s balm. BBS.

6-20-08sotd007.jpg

6-16-08002.jpg

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Gotta catch up!

Sunday Late Afternoon Shave:
Gillette Slim Adjustable
Derby Blade
Vermont Country Store Pure Badger
The Body Shop Shave Soap
Thayer's Witch Hazel
Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm
Nicole Miller for Men Cologne

Monday Morning Shave:
Gillette Slim Adjustable
Derby Blade
Art Of Shaving Best Badger
Tom's Of Maine Mint Shave Cream
EarthScience Aftershave Splash
Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm
J Peterman 1903 Cologne

freebird

Practically Family
Yesterday Evening:

Vintage scuttle
Omega pure bristle brush
Ogallala Bay Rum shaving soap
Illinois Razor Strop Co. strop
Wade & Butcher 5/8
Alum
Ogallala Bay Rum aftershave and skin toner

3 passes, bbs

sotdhotd62308003.jpg

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
This Morning:
Gillette Slim Adjustable
Fresh Derby Blade
Vermont Country Store Pure Badger
Valobra Shave Stick
EarthScience After Shave Splash
Pinaud Clubman

freebird

Practically Family
Yesterday evening, no fireworks, but did get a great shave.

Ogallala Bay Rum melted and poured into a $3 Wal-Mart sugar bowl (as others have done before me)
Omega pure bristle brush
Black Bear Brand Strop
Griffin Carbo Magnetic-one stroke
Expert Barber 400
Alum
powdered nick aid-one scratch
Ogallala Bay Rum a/s balm
3 passes bbs

Did get one scratch, although I don't know how. At first I figured it was a skeeter bite as the buggers are horrid here.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Nice 'Bird, thx for keeping this thread going, you and me bud!

Sat AM shave:

Gillette Slim Adjustable
Derby Blade
C.O. Bigelow Shave Cream
Art of Shaving Pure Badger Brush
Saint Charles Shave Arrimarase Cologne

freebird

Practically Family
You bet, pretty soon we'll get some other shaving enthusiasts join in, just need to keep this thread in the forefront as a reminder that it's here.

Sounds like you had a decent shave as well. How do you like the C.O. Bigelow shave cream? I haven't tried the shave cream,do have the C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum a/s balm that I absolutely love.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
You know, Tony, the Bigelow cream is good. It's just re-branded Proraso green if you know that brand. Lathers well, and cushioning to boot.
I was a little put off by the scent when I first got it. I thought it smelled like industrial floor cleaner! It grew on me a bit, but now I add lime essential oil to the cream before I whip it up.
mmmmmlimey :)

freebird

Practically Family
ah, that's good to know. I've got a full tube of Proraso that came with the Hamburg Ring and a Shavmac brush. Just need to pick up some eo. I felt the same about Proraso also lol. The aroma isn't the best in the world,but it sure beats Wilkonson Sword in the blue plastic container lol. My gosh, I whipped up the WS and couldn't bring myself to put it to my face, waay too strong, and smelled too much like a medicated soap for my taste.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
today's shave:
Gillette Slim Adjustable
Derby blade
J.M. Fraser Shave Cream
Art Of Shaving Pure Badger Brush
The Body Shop Kistna After Shave Balm
Tiffany for Men Sport Cologne

freebird

Practically Family
sotd7-8-08006.jpg

This evening's shave I call Bay Rum with a twist.

Ogallala Bay Rum soap
Glycerin
Kiss My Face Mint shaving cream
Great Uncle's shaving mug
Omega pure bristle brush
Black Bear Brand strop
Wade & Butcher 5/8 barber point
Alum
Ogallala Bay Rum a/s skin toner

D

DeaconKC

Got my Dad's old Gillette DE the other day and picked up some blades for it. Wow, after a few days it has nearly killed my neck. Guess I'll stick with the Quattro! I do have 3 new mugs and brushes on the way. I guess I will try some of the Col Conk's Almond when I get the chance.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
NO Deacon!!

Use less pressure! I know you have been pressing down hard with the head of your current razor to get a close shave, resist that urge! Let the sharp blade do the work for you. The idea is beard reduction thru a series of passes, not in one fell swoop.
Have you been to badgerandblade.com ?

Holyhabanero

New in Town
rmrdaddy said:
NO Deacon!!

Use less pressure! I know you have been pressing down hard with the head of your current razor to get a close shave, resist that urge! Let the sharp blade do the work for you. The idea is beard reduction thru a series of passes, not in one fell swoop.
Have you been to badgerandblade.com ?

Let me just echo what rmrdaddy says. Don't give up! It took me a couple of weeks to retrain myself and my beard. And I'm so glad I did. The advice to visit badger and blade is spot on. Keep with it. You won't regret it.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Superior custom made 21mm Silvertipped brush
Gillette 1940's SuperSpeed razor with Feather blade
Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes cream and QED Limes Soap blended together
Lucky Tiger After Shave splash
QED Lemon Peel AS balm
Knize Ten EdT

DeaconKC:
Keep at it and
stop by www.theshaveden.com sometime.
We have fun over there, as well

D

DeaconKC

Guys, I wish you were right about the pressure! I tried it as gently as possible and my neck is just to tender. The rest went very well, perhaps a different blade later. I'm just "blessed" with a beard like wire and a baby's neck.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Not True.

Have some patience and really learn the grain of your beard...ESPECIALLY the neck.

Bottom half of my neck is unbelievably sensitive and if I dont take a lot of care, its razor rash city.
Lotsa prep and extra time to allow the lather to soak in and then (and only then) will I do a N-S pass. On me my neck whiskers grow from Adams apple to ear so its a XTG (across the grain) pass.
If my face is in good shape Ill do another, but usually its only 1 and I NEVER will go S-N ATG on my neck. Ever.

freebird

Practically Family
DeaconKC said:
Got my Dad's old Gillette DE the other day and picked up some blades for it. Wow, after a few days it has nearly killed my neck. Guess I'll stick with the Quattro! I do have 3 new mugs and brushes on the way. I guess I will try some of the Col Conk's Almond when I get the chance.

which Gillette is it? If it's what they call a "fat boy", maybe a little adjusting will help. If it's not adjustable, I'd try to stick with it, just use very little pressure. The amount of pressure is about the weight of the razor resting on the skin. Liken it to letting the razor touch the surface and the weight of it doing the work. Hope this helps!

Also, one other thing, get some after shave balm, that will help ease the burn on the neck (and face).

The straight razor had a similar learning curve. I thougth I was doomed to razor burn, even with de's,but the straight razor has helped in clearing that up. I've all but quit using a balm on my face. Once in a great while I'll use a balm, but not for the soothing effect, more for the fragrance.(My favorite is C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum a/s balm, as I love a strong bay rum fragrance.

D

DeaconKC

It's not a Fat Boy [wish it was] and has no adjustments. I've got some soaps and brushes en route so maybe I will give the neck a chance to clear up and then try again. I shave after the shower and use a hot towel for a minute at least before lathering. I'll try the balm too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran