Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving with an electric shaver

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Electric shaving has different issues, so let's start.

My facial hair is quite strong, though the cheek line doesn't go up terribly high.

I'm using

Machine: a Norelco/Philips shaver with three rotating thingies. (A Remington or Braun-style wouldn't catch my hairs which grow rather wildly in all directions.)

Time: best after having a shower, I think

Pre-Shave: none. I have to look into this once, there are some that claim to soften the hairs - does that work?

Other Preparations: baby powder, so the shaver runs smoothly, and doesn't shave the upper skin layers together with the hairs. You can buy "shaving stones", but those are actually nothing else than pressed baby powder for ten times the price. Maybe scented differently, but you wash it off anyway. After shaving, I rinse my face with lots of cooold water.

After-Shave: I definitely need something soothing, so I was looking for something that was unscented, moisterising, and would not leave any grease on my face after a reasonably short time. In a perfumery, I was recommended Biotherm's Active Shave Repair. It's not bad, but not perfect either. It does have a scent - barbershoppy -, but that vanishes after a short time.

My main problem is that my skin doesn't like this daily or bi-diurnal torture. I get red marks on my neck, and with a little sweat, it starts to burn like hell.

I hate mixing scents, so the Norelcos that have inbuilt gels won't do. Anyway, I wouldn't like to be bound to one brand of refills.

My next steps will be to
- renew the blades, maybe save for a newer generation Norelco.
- get more information about pre-shaves
- be even more careful not to press too hard at the neck
- look for the perfect scent- and shmearless soothing balm
- consider your valuable ideas!

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
In other words, change to wet shaving, which I won't.[huh]

Thanks anyway!

adfr4605.jpg
f00zeph2.jpg

f7736doos.jpg

(Well, mine is only a couple of years old and has three heads.)

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
If I am running really late I will sometimes use my electric. It does a pitiful job at best compared to a DE.

When I shave with a DE I can usually go a couple of days between shaves. When I use an electric I shave a couple of times a day to look presentable.

Zach R.

Practically Family
I used electrics for a while and tried everything I could think of to alleviate the same problems you have.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that they are simply the tradeoffs one makes when they use electric shavers rather than the wet method.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Ah'm serious

Really, I appreciate your comments about the disadvantages of electric shaving, but I won't use a blade, believe me. It is incompatible with the (Jewish) law system I subscribe to. Hey, at least I don't have to use hot wax like they did in the 19th century!

Another thing is that my beard is mulitdirectional, and a blade wouldn't necessarily be better. Also, I'm sure I'd have to shave just as often, probably more often unless I'd use a system that lifts the hairs before cutting them off.

Now, given this fact, I'm trying to optimise shaving.

Do the electric shaving gents among us have any experiences with "pre-shaves"?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Since you can't use a manual razor by Jewish Law, then I would suggest one of the self cleaning models of the Braun electric razors. After each use you immerse it in the cleaning solution. The razor vibrates in this solution for a few minutes to clean the shaving residue off the blades. This is also an antibacterial so you won't have the irritation of a dirty razor upon your next shave. Then for pre & post skin treatment The Body Shop has a line of men's products that I believe are Kosher as well (literally). Most bottles & tubes of the products I use from them are marked Kosher. I use a manual razor but the skin products I use from The Body Shop help prevent any irritations. Try this link and see what they have. Also, their shops can be found in just about any shopping mall in any metropolitan areas.
http://thebodyshop.com/bodyshop/browse/sub_category.jsp;jsessionid=R2VCRJZPYZ2DNULSIIXFAFOROJBC0UP4?cm_re=default-_-Navigation-_-Men_s-Shaving___Face&categoryId=cat30098
Hope this works for you.

Shalom & Cheers!

Dan

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Thanks again. I knew the "kosher shaving" site, which analyses what exactly is the nature of the prohibition etc. The rule of thumb is "all electric shavers are OK, but Norelcos shift the hairs, so that to comply with all religious-legal opinions, one has to modify them first." Others say this isn't necessary even with Norelcos.

Concerning the self cleaners: My wife's uncle has one. I don't really see the advantages - they're more expensive, you're bound to one brand of refills etc. (A Brown wouldn't cope as easily with my multidirectional hairs, by the way, but there are self-cleaning Norelcos as well, I think.) Newer shavers can be cleaned under running water, which works quite well.

Though there are people who wouldn't drink water from a well on a newly discovered island unless it was under rabbincal supervision, the actual rule doesn't ask for cosmetics etc. to be kosher.

Sorry for going even more off-topic, but this reminds me of a rabbi who was asked online if Windex needs a kosher stamp. He said "No. Unless you drink it." Then, a stupid reader wrote a long letter claiming the rabbi wasn't Orthodox, how on earth could he say it didn't need supervision, and went on to describe absurd situations where in his distorted view of reality and Jewish law, it would indeed be important for Windex to be under supervision. A third reader promptly wrote "See what happens if you do drink it?" I laughed all day.

otterhound

One of the Regulars
I use a Norelco-style 3-rotating-head razor exclusively. Here's what works for me:

• make sure you pull your skin tight before you shave over it. Loose skin will get caught in the heads and nick you pretty badly.
  • Make sure your face is squeaky clean before you shave. Use a soap with no moisturizers. Even if your face feels dry after this, you'll moisturize it after shaving.
  • use an alcohol-free moisturizer immediately after shaving. I use an Herbalife facial moisturizer
I find I don't need a pre-shave.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
otterhound said:
make sure you pull your skin tight before you shave over it. Loose skin will get caught in the heads and nick you pretty badly.

Right, I hadn't mentioned this on my list above. I always do that, and sometimes wonder if it looks strange to others, with my left arm overhead pulling my right cheek up…. Though the reason I do that is to put up the hairs.

By the by, otterhound, your avatar reminds me of Audrey Hepburn asking "How do you shave that?" :)

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Two Updates

1. Unfortunately, I received an answer from Philips saying
"Please don't use baby powder. The heads might suffer damage, and so might their life.
We're afraid we can't recommend any alternative, as the appliance should be used without any agent ot powder."​

Now without the powder, my skin is like a sheet of rubber, even when I just washed it with non-moisterising soap and dried it carefully.

I'll try a pre-electric and see if it works out.

2. I tried several after-shave "repair" products. Best yet is Braukmann Skin Calming Gel. It has some alcohol, which probably disinfects, and panthenole (actually an alcohol, too). The effect is good, only it stays on your skin until you wash it off. I hate that. I'll give it a chance, try and wash my face maybe an hour or so after applying the stuff.

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Trimmer on Braun?

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Now without the powder, my skin is like a sheet of rubber, even when I just washed it with non-moisterising soap and dried it carefully.

I'll try a pre-electric and see if it works out.

The instructions with my shaver say to shave before washing, (a real surprise to me), because washing "swells the skin". When I have time, waiting 30 minutes or so after showering or washing my face, then shaving with a freshly cleaned shaver provides the best electric results.

I know you've mentioned growth direction, and that only the triple head rotarys seem to work for you. But when you've used a Braun, or something similar, have you tried using the pop-up trimmer along with the regular head? I think it passes over first, trimming the hair to a length that makes direction negligible, then the regular head following behind finishes it off. That's what the one on my older Braun is designed for, and I find it really, really helps with whiskers that aren't standing up, or are in a difficult place.

I also use the Remington talc stick. I'm sure it does cost more than baby powder, but it lasts forever, is quick, clean and easy. It helps, especially when shaving before washing.

So -
- Clean face, half hour after shower
- Clean shaver
- USE the trimmer/lifter in combinationwith the regular head
- Talc
- A light touch

For the most comfortable, (though not the closest) shave try the Panasonic Wet-Dry while you're showering. Feels great, with no razor-burn and is, in my opinion, an acceptable shave. Not as durable as an older, non-self-cleaning Braun, though.

This is why I finally went a year with a beard - for the joy of not having to shave every day. (But I acceded to special request to shave it off.)

There are actually forums like this one dedicated to electric shaving (and with nearly equal passion).

Good luck with it.

- Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran