Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shearling "B-3" question

dopey

One of the Regulars
Someone gave me a Ralph Lauren Polo shearling that is pretty similar to a b-3 though not so perfect as to be a repro. But very close. there are two problems - it is a drop large and, because he was a bit of a meathead, he had the sleeve lining/shearling taken out to make room for his "guns". So there is still the shearling on the cuff, but the inside of the sleeves is just bare leather.
I can get the body taken in. Any advice on the sleeves? Should I try to replace the shearling? Should I just put in a quilted lining?Is this a waste of time?
The jacket seems pretty nice from what I can tell and is mostly unworn though about 20 years old.

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Wow, that sounds like a bit of a mess... if you cant wear it as is.. my advice is to cut your losses and sell it.. you may get lucky and find a used Eastman some where that will easily replace the RL

Peacoat

Bartender
I think I would at least take it to a tailor and see what he would charge to add a quilted lining to the sleeves. If not too expensive, it would also help the resale value when you decide to pass it on.

dopey

One of the Regulars
Thank.
I guess it's worth asking a tailor how much the alteration and sleeve addition would cost. It is a nice jacket and for $150 or so it would be worth keeping. Otherwise, I can just give it to the local Housing Works.

Tiger2001

New in Town
Someone gave me a Ralph Lauren Polo shearling that is pretty similar to a b-3 though not so perfect as to be a repro. But very close. there are two problems - it is a drop large and, because he was a bit of a meathead, he had the sleeve lining/shearling taken out to make room for his "guns". So there is still the shearling on the cuff, but the inside of the sleeves is just bare leather.
I can get the body taken in. Any advice on the sleeves? Should I try to replace the shearling? Should I just put in a quilted lining?Is this a waste of time?
The jacket seems pretty nice from what I can tell and is mostly unworn though about 20 years old.
Hey there. Not sure how much you're willing to spend to have your coat altered/restored but I know from personal experience one firm which can do it. They have the experience, craftsman and materials to do the job. Pops Leather which is located outside of Incirlik Air Base in Adana, Turkey. Been serving US and NATO air crews for decades and specialize in leather jackets, particularly flight jackets. They have a website and a US rep based in PA. He can answer your questions and tell you how to ship the coat. It will cost about $150 in shipping and whatever it costs for the work you want done. But I assure you it will be done correctly and also for much cheaper than you will ever find in the states!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thing is nothing you can do will grow that fleece back other than changing the sleeves.
I would not spend $150 on that, you can buy a Schott B3 copy for $150 and that would be money better spend IMO. Whatever you do it will be a frankestein monster worth less than you have put in.

If you really really want to keep it, I would go all "Reign of Fire" on it and make a vest out of it:

hfzyCg2.jpg

dopey

One of the Regulars
Thing is nothing you can do will grow that fleece back other than changing the sleeves.
I would not spend $150 on that, you can buy a Schott B3 copy for $150 and that would be money better spend IMO. Whatever you do it will be a frankestein monster worth less than you have put in.

If you really really want to keep it, I would go all "Reign of Fire" on it and make a vest out of it:

hfzyCg2.jpg
This is partly corrcect. On a closer look, this is not real shearling, but rather leather, maybe calf, lined with wool fleece (the body is lined with a sheepskin backed by leather or suede, which I can see where the sleeves and body join. So I could get a similar lining for the sleeves - but - the sleeve construction is also fake in the sense that it is not sheepskin with diamond reinforcement at the elbows like a real B-3. The whole thing is just pieced to look like that. So it is going to Housing Works or better yet, someone on the street who can use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB