Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shearling jacket options

DarkKnight

Familiar Face
Where do people go for different colours in their B3's, D1's etc outside of Aero and Eastman? I know about Cockpit USA, but what's their quality like? And the biggest problem with them for me is that I won't be able to customise measurements (like with Aero) which is a must for me.

I find the colouring that Aero offer either too red - in the case of the Redskin - or too dark in the case of the seal. I want a nice medium brown. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR?!

Any tips or arguments against? I'm basing my colour opinions on photos only. Maybe the Seal isn't really that dark in real life...?

It's pretty much the D1 I'm after. The others are too big/heavy duty for me and I like form fitting, shorter jackets.

Stand By

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge, Dark Knight!
I think it's perfectly acceptable to opt for a hue that suits your "eye" or agrees with you/how you feel a specific jacket should look (or rather, how your jacket should look) for whatever reason. Why we gravitate to one shade over another is an interesting question but it's all subjective at the end of the day.
But colours are sometimes hard to assess over the internet - they are affected by the light on the day when the photos were taken, the camera, the monitor setting (even the quality of the memory card can play a tiny role I find!) ... and so there's no substitute for contacting the companies and asking for swatches to be sent to you. That's the best way to determine what shade you really like (and you'll see and feel the differences in grain and sheen/finish too as well as the fleece and that may affect your preferences/decision as well) - and I'd ask all the companies out there who make the jacket you're interested in (and even those you may be less interested in) for swatches. Cast a wide net. You never know.
Good and happy hunting!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Another option with Aero would be to ask if they'd make you one out of their Irvin sheepskin. Should get you closer the colour you fancy.

DarkKnight

Familiar Face
Thanks Edward. Not a bad idea. Although the downside of that being that by all accounts (and feel free to verify or correct me), the Irvin sheepskin is considerably heavier duty and even warmer than the standard D1. I live in Sydney, Australia. I'll be hard pressed to get use out of a D1 as it is! Even if it is just with a t-shirt underneath.

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Hi Darknight. I've recently receive an Aero B6 and I know that they will make you a jacket out of any sheepskin they have. I had one of their pre war irvins and it was made out of the same hide as my B6. It's a good weight for us in Oz but I think you might struggle a bit in NSW tho.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Having handled both the Irvin and usaf shearling, Id say that there wasn't much between them. It's not like the old days, when it was much more teddy bearish.

DarkKnight

Familiar Face
Having handled both the Irvin and usaf shearling, Id say that there wasn't much between them. It's not like the old days, when it was much more teddy bearish.

Cool, thanks for that. Currently contemplating a D1 with the Irvin sheepskin. I wonder if they'll do no zips on the handwarmer pockets.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I would just ask. I have a bootlegger without the zip on the chest pocket, so leaving out stuff is probably less an issue than adding/changing. The one thing about zips on the pocket is that they will help keep their shape but I know what you might want to remove them: the cold metal teeth biting on your wrists on frosty day ain't fun!

Edward

Bartender
Or you might look into a B6, which as standard doesn't have zips on the pocket as I recall. But yes.... Aero in my experience are perfectly open to mods as long as they don't involve repatterning, and they are within their aesthetic range. Don't see why that would be an issue at all - just make sure to specify it clearly with them when you order.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Or you might look into a B6, which as standard doesn't have zips on the pocket as I recall. But yes.... Aero in my experience are perfectly open to mods as long as they don't involve repatterning, and they are within their aesthetic range. Don't see why that would be an issue at all - just make sure to specify it clearly with them when you order.

Yes it doesn't have zip on the pocket, from all the shearling jackets available, I think it's the most practical.

I hope to be able to buy on for this winter... (no one want to buy an Aero Sheene with short sleeves... it's still available ;))

DarkKnight

Familiar Face
So I think I've decided that my favourite style-wise is either the Pre-War or the Battle of Britain RAF jackets that Aero have. However, obviously Aero don't do mods to their military jackets annoyingly. The Pre-War with handwarmer pockets would be my perfect, tick all the boxes, shearling jacket.

Does anyone own any of the RAF's from Aero and do you guys miss the pockets? It's currently the direction I'm leaning, but I"m a bit of a perfectionist and I can easily imagine my arms constantly and automatically reaching for pockets that aren't there and being frustrated by it.

I don't love the collar on the D1 I've decided and the B6 - not a fan of the epaulettes, don't want the action back and it's too long (although I'm sure I could specify it shorter). I looked into Simmons Bilt, but don't like the look of their sheepskin. And the Cockpit USA RAF jacket looks ok except that I can't customise measurements, so that's not an option.

So, how do people feel about no pockets?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
TBH with my Irvin on, I either fill my pant pockets, carry a small bag across the body (my small motorcycle body bag) or get the Wife to put items in her handbag. Most useful shearling I own is an ELC D-1: more wearable more often in UK climate & with pockets (often still use Bike bag with it).

Stand By

One Too Many
If I may, I think you're over-thinking things.
As Sloan says, just go up one size and get an Irvin - and you'll be glad you went for a classic, authentic pattern. You won't regret it and you won't miss the pockets. Get some nice A-10 gloves and you'll be just fine. I'm positive that you'll prefer the look of the clean front panels - sans pockets. And when you do, I reckon you'll wonder how you could ever have contemplated otherwise...

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I've never missed the handwarmer pockets on an Irvin - not once. I do love the pocket on my B3 that is ideal for putting gloves in when I take them off, but it's not a big deal. Actually, even on my leathers where I have the handwarmers, they're only there for decoration - I never use them for anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran