Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sherlock Holmes 2009 Fedora

Zendragon

New in Town
Wow this might be my first post here. Some of you might know me from the Indy boards...

I noticed a thread here about the upcoming Sherlock Holmes movie and while I know that many folks aren't big on this film, I am curious about the fedora he wears.

It is my understanding that it is from Lock and Co Hatters, but they aren't 100% sure as to which model it is. I am waiting to hear back now that I send them the pics that I posted here.

So while I would like to know which model it is, I am also looking for something more affordable that looks the part.

I can't imagine any better place than the Fedora Lounge for an answer to that question. Thanks!!

Here are the pics.

Sherlock-Holmes_Robert-Downey-Jr_co.jpg

sherlock-holmes-movie-image-1.jpg

sherlock-holmes-movie-image-3.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
While I'm not overly hepped up on the film, I must admit, Downey Jr wears a nice looking hat.

I recognize you from COW, zendragon. There's a thread there about the Holmes hat, and binkmeisterrick has a hat that looks darn near identical to the Holmes lid. It's a Lock & Co, but I'm not sure the model name, I don't believe he knows either..

Randy

P.S Jude Law's mustache is pretty killer, too! haha

Zendragon

New in Town
Hey Randy,

Thanks for the response. I think I am one of the view here who is looking forward to the film. Initially I wasn't so much but after reading up more about Holmes, I am curious about how this story will be told.

I did a search for Holmes before I created this thread and the one you speak of didn't turn up. I will try again though because I would like to see it.

I have talked to binkmeisterrick about his hat and you are right, he doesn't know what model it is.

They think it could be the "Chelsea" http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Fedoras__Homburg___Pork_Pie-Chelsea-P65.aspx

I am not so sure based on the one pic on the site.
I think it could be their "Super Felt" http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Trilbys-Superfelt-P324.aspx

Either way, if I decide to get a hat like this, both of those are a pretty penny, so something that is more affordable would be a nice option to have.

theinterchange said:
While I'm not overly hepped up on the film, I must admit, Downey Jr wears a nice looking hat.

I recognize you from COW, zendragon. There's a thread there about the Holmes hat, and binkmeisterrick has a hat that looks darn near identical to the Holmes lid. It's a Lock & Co, but I'm not sure the model name, I don't believe he knows either..

Randy

Mulceber

Practically Family
I must say I'm looking forward to it too. I doubt the movie will be a whole lot like the original works, but then, Sherlock Holmes is a classic - there's always room for new interpretations, and regardless of how this movie does, it won't detract from the greatness of the original books. Solidly looking forward to it. -M

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Deductions about explosions and reasons to not be wearing a shirt

Thank mercy that is isn't a deerstalker. Whatever my misgivings about the film, I don't mind the choice of hat. The Brett series was, of course, much truer to the age in generally having Holmes wear a homburg or top hat, but a fairly wide-brimmed fedora with a center-creased crown isn't bad.

The hat that's on Jude Law's head is interesting. I think that that it is what was known as a Cambridge Bowler; Winston Churchill called his a, "Bowker." I wonder more about where the producer got that than the fedora.

If I think of this character as an entirely different one than the literary Sherlock Holmes who by coincidence has the same name, it might be more agreeable to me. Otherwise I will come expecting a relatively dry, cerebral style and leave annoyed.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
They think it could be the "Chelsea" http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Fedoras__Homburg___Pork_Pie-Chelsea-P65.aspx

I am not so sure based on the one pic on the site.
I think it could be their "Super Felt" http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Trilbys-Superfelt-P324.aspx

Either way, if I decide to get a hat like this, both of those are a pretty penny, so something that is more affordable would be a nice option to have.

The hat is dimensionally and stylistically like many 1960-ish hats which are common and inexpensive on ebay. The wardrobe people have given it a bit of distressing for an aged effect. Depending on your size this might be very cheap(easily under 50.00) while the Lock hat is crazy expensive--more than most top quality custom hatters that could replicate whatever you like.

Zendragon

New in Town
Thanks for the feedback to everyone.

I found this in an article

"We also learn that Holmes is a man who often forgets his gun -- and who wears a snappy fedora. Even though there's been a lot of silly emotion surrounding the deerstalker, the story of the hat is pretty cool. It was hand-picked by Downey Jr. from the Lock and Co hat shop, something Ritchie encouraged. "I wanted something more aesthetically pleasing and plausible and more rewarding to look at. I quite like deerstalkers, but there is only one person in history who ever wore one. [This fedora] is sort of authentic to the era, and Robert was very passionate about it." The bum bag (we'll avoid the non-UK friendly description) is for his detective gear."

If I were to have a custom hatter replicate this hat, who would you suggest? I don't know where I would even start for something like that. And yes, the Lock prices are amazingly high IMO.

rlk said:
The hat is dimensionally and stylistically like many 1960-ish hats which are common and inexpensive on ebay. The wardrobe people have given it a bit of distressing for an aged effect. Depending on your size this might be very cheap(easily under 50.00) while the Lock hat is crazy expensive--more than most top quality custom hatters that could replicate whatever you like.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
A surprising abundance

Zendragon said:
If I were to have a custom hatter replicate this hat, who would you suggest? I don't know where I would even start for something like that. And yes, the Lock prices are amazingly high IMO.

Art Fawcett
could probably replicate it quite faithfully (He made a hat for me a few years ago that faintly resembles the one in question). You could also consider, as was already suggested, Penman Hats, which has a very good reputation. Tumwater Hats and The Custom Hatter might also be able to create what you want. I can only vouch personally for Mister Fawcett, who has made two fedora for me; both being very satisfactory. Further testament to the merits of his work abound the Art Fawcett Hall of Fame. There are also threads devoted to Penman Hats and Tumwater (Lounge member TonyB).

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MisterGrey said:
What year is the movie set? I didn't think that fedoras had come around yet in the era that the Holmes stories were set.

You are correct - Whippet-esque hats such as this did not show up for a good while after the setting.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I helped somebody out with the Lock & Co mystery before. I think they got confused. Check out the hat that Downey wears in the movie with Jamie Foxx - the one about the homeless musician. That hat appears to be one of the hats from Lock & Co. The Holmes hat is still a mystery, as far as I can tell.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Garrett said:
You are correct - Whippet-esque hats such as this did not show up for a good while after the setting.
Not only the brim-binding, but the crown height and taper is typically modern(after late 1950's). Fedoras "so-called" would have been Women's hats pre WWI but there were some soft tapered crown men's hats with shorter brims--but they were more casual and rustic/country not for wealthy City folk. Bowlers,Homburgs and Top Hats would be the dominant styles in town.

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Delthayre said:
The hat that's on Jude Law's head is interesting. I that it is was was known as a Cambridge Bowler; Winston Churchill called his a, "Bowker." I wonder more about where the producer got that than the fedora.

I like Jude's Cambridge bowler too. I recently bought a Penn-Craft bowler after reading the Bowler/Derby threads and am wondering whether I should have sought a Cambridge instead.

The brim styling on Holmes fedora is too avant garde for me. :) Looking forward to it the movie, I like the fact Guy nods his head at Sherlock's cocaine addiction. That and Kelly Reilly is in this movie.

http://i.acephotos.org/images/orig/j/r/jrp7aqorxtj4a7oj.jpg

Mulceber

Practically Family
Well I think we all know that this isn't a period film. It isn't Public Enemies. It's just trying to be a fun movie with some neat costumes. When I see it, I'll just be looking to enjoy some quirky, Holmes-like behavior, some good action, a decent plot and visually pleasing costumes. Movies like that aren't meant to be picked apart and I intend to enjoy it as such. -M

theinterchange

One Too Many
munchausen said:
I like the fact Guy nods his head at Sherlock's cocaine addiction.

If that's true, the film won points in my book. Not that I advocate the use of drugs in any form :eek: [bad] ... just that I figured drug use was too un politically correct for such a film.

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot