Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shinola watches

Duper

Practically Family
I just read this weekend about a new brand of watches coming out of Detroit. I really enjoy hearing that someone is willing to take a chance and hire and inspire in the good old US of A. And heck, I am a Canadian!

I was going to make a purchase of one of their initial run of 1500 watches but I was out of town until today and it seems 1500 other folks beat me too it.

Have a look. http://shinola.com/

Mark G

A-List Customer
It takes a lot of money to start up a company with a movement and case in house. Even huge companies like Breitling and Panarai used ETA movements until Swatch Group's threat to stop selling ebauches to companies outside the Groups brands. Even companies within the Group, such as Omega, used ETA,Valjoux and Unitas (all considered ETA now) movements. I find it sad that Hamilton says it's America's watch but is entirely made in Switzerland!

The only truly American watch company, that I'm aware of, is RGM out of PA. They have started to make their own movements as well as cases, and are quite beautiful.

strokes1251

Practically Family
"The name, might not be the best choice - though the popular (with the olde folke) idiom was used to differentiate Shinola shoe polish from poop, not associate it with poop (by implying that a person was too stupid to know the difference)."

Saw that on the watchuseekfourm and laughed for a good minute or two lol. Anyways watches look pretty darn good :)

Talbot

One Too Many
There's a joke somewhere here about feces......but I'm not touching it.

Cleverly chosen name I believe. As to the comments, they are begging for it: 'Artisanal Leather'.

Nice vintage styling. I would wear one, however you can buy a lot of vintage timepiece for these prices.

I hope they go well.

Duper

Practically Family
Well they had 9 models on sale starting yesterday and they are already sold out. A Father's Day promotion. That is twice I have missed my chance.

I hope they are a huge success. It will be interesting to start hearing some feedback once the watches start arriving in their customer's hands.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I am actually thankful some company is "up and running" in the Detroit area, they need all the business they can get.

After looking at these watches and observing the pricing, I myself think they are not over priced at all. I do prefer a wind up watch, but, if they had any watches left in their inventory, I would very much desire to part with the money to own one.

I think they could use the name for them to "capture" an audience in a commercial by saying, "we make the watch, the one that helps you know the time, and the difference between "S---" and Shinola! lol! I love the name, the product and the concept of doing Detroit in business.

mattface

Practically Family
I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit, and I was very pleased to see a new company setting up shop there to make high quality products like this. As it happens the sell two things I like: watches and bicycles, and I really like their take on both. Their products are expensive, priced right out of my reach, but really nicely done. It's very nice seeing beautiful premium quality products coming out of Detroit. I prefer mechanical watches too, but if I'd love to have one of these watches. Not that I could get one even if I could afford them, it seems they sell out immediately.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit, and I was very pleased to see a new company setting up shop there to make high quality products like this. As it happens the sell two things I like: watches and bicycles, and I really like their take on both. Their products are expensive, priced right out of my reach, but really nicely done. It's very nice seeing beautiful premium quality products coming out of Detroit. I prefer mechanical watches too, but if I'd love to have one of these watches. Not that I could get one even if I could afford them, it seems they sell out immediately.

Geez! When I was a little duffer, we lived in Pleasant Ridge, which is just North off of Woodward Ave, near the Detroit Zoo. Back then Detroit was very much alive with Robert Halls, Florsheim,Elite shoe and suit shops, hat shops, and tons of places to have a great meal. Since Detroit has fairly much lost most of the open business places and become a actual ghost town, it is very much a special thing to see any business up and running, so yes, I will agree this is a great new business. I am hopeful that Shinola will keep my updated as to when they have another run of watches for sale.

mattface

Practically Family
Geez! When I was a little duffer, we lived in Pleasant Ridge, which is just North off of Woodward Ave, near the Detroit Zoo. Back then Detroit was very much alive with Robert Halls, Florsheim,Elite shoe and suit shops, hat shops, and tons of places to have a great meal. Since Detroit has fairly much lost most of the open business places and become a actual ghost town, it is very much a special thing to see any business up and running, so yes, I will agree this is a great new business. I am hopeful that Shinola will keep my updated as to when they have another run of watches for sale.

I grew up in Huntington Woods, just a few blocks from the back fence of the zoo! No one ever went to the city when I was a kid. My Parents got mad at me when I rode my bike down to 8 Mile road to visit the magic shop, and while there are new signs of life there now, it's still a bit of a burnt out husk of a city. My mom went to High school at Cass Tech. I wish I had known the city then when it was still vibrant and alive. Henry The Hatters is still there, but I haven't had a chance to visit the Detroit store yet on any of my visits. I've only been to the Southfield Store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran