Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ship John

I just placed an order for a wills jacket. Hope I don’t have to wait 7 months for mine. I do like most of his IG content, but the owner does get fired up pretty easily from some of the posts.

Also, I guess iron & resin knocked off his jacket but agreed to stop selling it after the owner was fuming about it. Is there like an unwritten agreement to not copy an article of clothing, bc it seems like almost all of the leather jackets for sale are exact or almost exact copies of other jackets.
Oh don’t get me wrong his IG page is very stylish and I can appreciate the effort required to cultivate a social media image. And his looks good. I dunno. I’m used to waiting for stuff but not used to playing detective to try and figure out when something I ordered will be delivered. As far as copying leather jacket patterns goes...uh that’s a thread in and of itself and it won’t be pretty.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I just placed an order for a wills jacket. Hope I don’t have to wait 7 months for mine. I do like most of his IG content, but the owner does get fired up pretty easily from some of the posts.

Also, I guess iron & resin knocked off his jacket but agreed to stop selling it after the owner was fuming about it. Is there like an unwritten agreement to not copy an article of clothing, bc it seems like almost all of the leather jackets for sale are exact or almost exact copies of other jackets.
Send photos of what you want to Five Star and they will make it.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Oh don’t get me wrong his IG page is very stylish and I can appreciate the effort required to cultivate a social media image. And his looks good. I dunno. I’m used to waiting for stuff but not used to playing detective to try and figure out when something I ordered will be delivered. As far as copying leather jacket patterns goes...uh that’s a thread in and of itself and it won’t be pretty.
Nobody thinks twice about copying Levi's.

Psant25

One Too Many
He fumed about someone copying his knife shealth style and i am pretty sure ppl have been making that for a hundred years. I think the fact of using heavy waxed cloth one could say you are copying filson or whoever started that. The wills is a great design I would love to have one. It takes influences from other great/typical jackets nothing new. Filson style, action back, snaps, zip, slight diff pocket config. It all has been done all are copies at this point imo

He fumed about someone copying his knife shealth style and i am pretty sure ppl have been making that for a hundred years. I think the fact of using heavy waxed cloth one could say you are copying filson or whoever started that. The wills is a great design I would love to have one. It takes influences from other great/typical jackets nothing new. Filson style, action back, snaps, zip, slight diff pocket config. It all has been done all are copies at this point imo

Lol, that's so ridiculous!!! What's so unique about their knife sheath? And yeah, you're 100% right, Wills is literally any 60's choir jacket. There used to be a company here where I live, that was making what is pretty much the exact same style of a canvas work jacket, only in blue.
Didn't know SJ had such a deep conviction that they had come up with anything insanely unique, as nice as their stuff is (I love their jeans, would really love to own a pair some day). Except for maybe a fantastic IG fantasy lifestyle, that's where others could learn a lot form them but other than that, a coupla generic shirts, jeans, re-branded caps, a regular trucker wallet and a $50 key-chain... Not really screaming originality. Best stuff they got is made by Langlitz and Wesco.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Lol, that's so ridiculous!!! What's so unique about their knife sheath? And yeah, you're 100% right, Wills is literally any 60's choir jacket. There used to be a company here where I live, that was making what is pretty much the exact same style of a canvas work jacket, only in blue.
Didn't know SJ had such a deep conviction that they had come up with anything insanely unique, as nice as their stuff is (I love their jeans, would really love to own a pair some day). Except for maybe a fantastic IG fantasy lifestyle, that's where others could learn a lot form them but other than that, a coupla generic shirts, jeans, re-branded caps, a regular trucker wallet and a $50 key-chain... Not really screaming originality. Best stuff they got is made by Langlitz and Wesco.
I don't own any Ship John and have no skin in the game, but doesn't this apply to every brand and every maker of a certain competence level? Quality aside, the secret sauce lies in the ability of some brands to develop devoted followings while others can't.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I emailed and was told my invoice was forth coming. Whatever. I’m sure I’ll fling it to the classifieds anyway. Unless it’s really good. Then I’ll wait a month or two to fling.
I emailed them as well, and got this back:

To give you a status update on the Ramblin Jackets. They are currently finishing up in production, and we are working on sending out the final payment invoices. We will begin shipping them out sometime next week. Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks. :)
Best,
Janelle
Ship John Team

I emailed them as well, and got this back:

To give you a status update on the Ramblin Jackets. They are currently finishing up in production, and we are working on sending out the final payment invoices. We will begin shipping them out sometime next week. Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks. :)
Best,
Janelle
Ship John Team
Yep that’s what I got back as well. What I didn’t get is an actual invoice.

Got my email for the balance, paid it instantly...Kind of funny b/c I was so pissed about it Friday I ordered the last sz L 21oz double Black type III from Bravestar. Then I remembered I also ordered a black 20 oz chore coat from SOSO and the black Sherpa from Bravestar...late 2020 for me is going to be all about denim I guess.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
No email with invoice here. I did get their October Newsletter.

Waxed Wills Jacket Production
New jacket deposits will be taken on Wednesday October 14th at 12:34 PM PDT!

could you provide a link to that? I am still looking for an alternative chore coat to the Wills...
Sure. I saw this jacket on their IG page. I spec’d mine with a blue buffalo check lining and snaps. It’s the rebel worker model:
65BB21AA-5D39-4A2C-8489-D0C31C7092BC.jpeg

if you create an account during checkout they will knock 30% off, which makes it a really good deal! Took over $100 off the top.
https://sosoclothing.se/product/all-natural-black-x-black-string-orange-20-oz-2/

andyone

A-List Customer

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21