Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ship John

@ton312, you mentioned before you were ordering a type III and a Sherpa from Bravestar, both in Large if I understood correctly. Q: is you Ramblin also Large, and does it wear as comfortably as the two from Bravestar
Yes the measurements between the Brave Star and the SJ Ramblin jacket were about the same (minus one). The body length came through a full 3” longer than the size chart. Basically turned something I expected to fit like a type III into a chore coat. I felt fortunate to sell it quickly as it wasn’t even close to what I wanted or expected.

jglf

A-List Customer
I have a 43in chest and 33in waist and the Med fits perfect. Their posted measurements are a little off and are sized big.

malino76

New in Town
Yes the measurements between the Brave Star and the SJ Ramblin jacket were about the same (minus one). The body length came through a full 3” longer than the size chart. Basically turned something I expected to fit like a type III into a chore coat. I felt fortunate to sell it quickly as it wasn’t even close to what I wanted or expected.

I have a 43in chest and 33in waist and the Med fits perfect. Their posted measurements are a little off and are sized big.

Thanks, guys, for the valuable feedback! Helps a lot...

@jglf, that black Wills does look perfect indeed! You picked the long or the regular?

jglf

A-List Customer
Thanks, guys, for the valuable feedback! Helps a lot...

@jglf, that black Wills does look perfect indeed! You picked the long or the regular?
The black canvas one is Regular and the black leather one is a long. I’ve actually sold both since posting bc I felt the leather one was too long and the canvas one was too much of a pain to put on bc of no lining.

As soon as they offer a lined version, I’ll be all over it.

Aquarian

New in Town
I really can’t figure out the Wills sizing. I’ve read it’s inconsistent. I saw a photo of leather version in Size medium with a 22’’ chest and a size Large with a 21” chest. As great as they look I can’t bring myself to spend that much on a jacket I can’t try on and varies that widely in size.

jglf

A-List Customer
I really can’t figure out the Wills sizing. I’ve read it’s inconsistent. I saw a photo of leather version in Size medium with a 22’’ chest and a size Large with a 21” chest. As great as they look I can’t bring myself to spend that much on a jacket I can’t try on and varies that widely in size.

The leather wills are made by Langlitz. That’s where the sizing inconsistencies arise between the canvas and leather version. Also, I don’t think that everyone measures the jackets accurately by pulling the jacket taut and using a soft tape measure.

The good thing is that if the canvas version doesn’t fit, you can recoup all of your money by selling it on eBay.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I don't see what's so attractive about this jacket. To me it looks like something a car mechanic would wear. But he might as well wear this Carhartt as the Carhartt looks much more stylish for a fraction of the price. Order now, receive tomorrow. No non-refundable deposit (LOL) required.

C39533F2-6D5C-488C-85DD-CFF7D293CAFE.jpeg

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
The Carhartt jacket demands a certain body type, and even then requires a baseball bat to break it in. But their quality is bar none, and are definitely a work horse jacket (or mechanic's jacket), not a fashion statement (as much as blue collar chic tries to make it one).

Schambach

Practically Family
I think maybe a more apt comparison is filson tin cloth, or barbour, etc. That, plus a modern fit is a pretty nice jacket. Probably not $550 nice for me at least, but they seem to sell a lot of them.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Not sure how many they sell as up to this point there production team is small and output is slow. Obviously they aren’t selling 1% of Carhartt. I had one. It was nice. Was it worth the money? Objectively speaking probably very on TFL are. There value is solely based on how they make your heart feel and if you smile when you put them on. Overpriced vs priceless is A mental state.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I’m gonna add. At the risk of throwing shade, there are quite a few brands lately where a large part of there business is designing collabs with established makers and upping the price. The established maker gets to take advantage of the new brands insta hype machine to increase their sales. I mean heck, several members here could be a brand with the jackets they design. They’d just need to hire a 20 year old to run their social media. Is Ship John one of these companies.....?

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
I think its ironic for people who routinely spend 1000+ plus on leather jackets to poo-poo the Wills jacket simply bc of its price. Comparing the Wills jacket to a Cahartt seems akin to comparing an Aero to a Wilson leather/rando mall jacket. The quality of materials used, time spent preparing the garment, and labor involved are miles apart.

Part of the price of the Wills is you're paying a craftsman a living wage to produce a garment locally. I own a denim ShipJohn jacket courtsey of @ton312 and its superbly made. It's fair game here to criticize a product for shoddy workmanship or some other valid criticism, but to criticize something simply bc of its price point is low hanging fruit. TFL is better than that.

marker2037

Practically Family
I don't think any company is above being criticized for a price point. It's fair game if you ask me, and we've all done it to the best of the leather jacket makers out there, so Ship John also should be able to handle it if their products hold up. The design of the Wills jacket is nice, but I do think there are better looking, similar jackets out there for a more reasonable asking price.

Some of their collabs with Dehen have some insane pricing....

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
My quibble is its a lazy criticism when people here don't bat an eye spending thousands on other jackets. It seems to be a stand-in for some other basis to dislike the brand. But hey, if you dislike the brand, that's on you. They seem to be doing just fine.

I had no beef at all with the price of my Ramblin jacket. $250 felt like a bargain for the product I received. My issue was the sizing. They added a full 3” to the length (unannounced)! I ordered a trucker and received a chore coat. That turned me off. I could see an inch…but 3” changes the style entirely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot