Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe question, half rubber heel

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Not too long ago I picked up a pair of these half price
shoes_iaec1205543.jpg

http://www.shoes.com/Shopping/productdetails.aspx?catalog_name=web&pg=5118706&p=EC1205543&CMP=OTC-GoogleBase&partnerid=GoogleBase&cpc=GoogleBase&campaign=Johnston+and+Murphy&category=M&cpckw=Johnston+and+Murphy+Men%27s+Purnell+Woven+Cap+Toe+Shoes+%28Saddle+Tan+Italian+C%29&CAWELAID=465979744

I think the style is outstanding, and they're fairly comfortable, though not completely broken in yet. Something I didn't even notice when I bought them though is that the heel is only half rubber... and the reason I noticed is that i tend to slip around a lot!
Which got me thinking, all my other dress shoes and even cowboy boots have full rubber cap on the heel. What is the purpose of a half-cap?

I was also wondering... I have some Florsheim shoes that have a thin rubber treaded section applied to the leather sole. Is something that could be added to these? I've never had trouble with leather soled shoes before, but without the rubber cap on the heel it makes them more of a challenge.
shoes_igec1205543.jpg

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I have a pair with those 'suicide' heels (to quote Matt Deckard, I think). Wore them today, in fact; and almost kill myself with them every time. So much fun to be walking and to suddenly have your feet tumble from beneath you, for no apparent reason.

Cheers,

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Suicide heel... I like it!
But still.... why would anyone design/make a shoe like that? I love the style of these shoes, but I won't be buying anymore suicide heel shoes... unless of course I really like them, and they're a really good deal.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
What is the purpose of a half-cap?
They are called combination or combo heels and they are meant to give the feel of walking on leather with the wear qualities of rubber. If anything they should be safer than an all leather heel. Most of the better dress shoes come with combo heels.

I was also wondering... I have some Florsheim shoes that have a thin rubber treaded section applied to the leather sole. Is something that could be added to these?
Any competent cobbler can apply a rubber sole covering such as Topy.

soleprotection-2.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I have a few suicide heeld shoes. I prefer full rubber. here in Sydney City the pavers are honed basalt - so they are very slippery in rainy weather. I find that the front part of the heel starts to aquaplane and the rubber bit won't stop the slide. I also topy all my shoes. Firstly for safety. Secondly for longevity.

shoes_iaec1205543.jpg

Funky summer shoes. Pity they seems to have been made too narrow by some design genius.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Yikes! We have the same problem with the granite pavers on Denver's downtown Sixteenth Street pedestrian mall. Take a wrong step when the pavement is wet and away you go. :eek:

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
They are called combination or combo heels and they are meant to give the feel of walking on leather with the wear qualities of rubber. If anything they should be safer than an all leather heel. Most of the better dress shoes come with combo heels.
I've never seen/heard of full leather. Even my AE have full rubber.

shoes_iaec1205543.jpg

Funky summer shoes. Pity they seems to have been made too narrow by some design genius.
Yes, they are on the long/skinny side... still pretty cool though!

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
You do realize that woven shoes are seasonal (spring/summer) on the casual side and don't hold up particularly well to heavy use.

Indeed, though I don't really bother about the seasons (I'm still wearing short sleeves anyway!). I've made a habit of only wearing a pair of dress shoes once a week (though maybe once a week plus Sunday for church)

Something curious about these particular shoes (not sure if it's normal or not, never had woven before) but the inside is fully leather lined, so it seems like the benefit of additional breathing of the woven section is pretty heavily negated.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I have a few suicide heeld shoes. I prefer full rubber. here in Sydney City the pavers are honed basalt - so they are very slippery in rainy weather. I find that the front part of the heel starts to aquaplane and the rubber bit won't stop the slide. I also topy all my shoes. Firstly for safety. Secondly for longevity.

I hear ya – I'm heavy on my shoes, being 6' 4", and I walk to work and back each day, an hour's round trip. The route takes me across a lot of surface types and paving stones or the 'knobbly' concrete slabs around pedestrian crossings are a nightmare! I've got a pair of bullhide Cowtown ropers with a leather sole and I've nearly ended up under a car crossing the road a few times. Luckily, we have an excellent independent shoe repairer on Moreland Road here in Bath, and he does a great job fitting hard-wearing rubber heels and what us Brits call 'stick on soles' onto my shoes. I couldn't do without 'em!

I would, however, LOVE to try some Cat's Paw soles and heels on my engineer boots...

The cobbler or shoe repair man probably has several products that can be applied to those shoes to keep you from slipping. In the end It should not be very expensive to replace the heels for something with a bit more traction if you don't like the other solutions. Most repair guys have had to handle similar situations before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo