Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe tree advice? Split or solid?

Spartcom5

New in Town
Hey guys I'm torn about deciding to use split or solid toed shoe trees. I have a pair of 1950s shoes 8-8.5D, I am using small shoe trees. The split trees push up on the toe box a good amount, flatten the creases as much as possible, however they don't really fill out the vamp of the shoe and the creasing there could use some support. Next the solid trees do a good job at filling out the vamp but don't push up on the toe box as much.... What ones would you guys use? I am thinking the split trees are the best but the vamp looks weird with them, hard to explain. I'm sure it's no big deal but any advice is great! Also, I haven't looked at the twin tube trees much.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Any shoe tree is better than no shoe tree. I have always used solid ones here in our home. Most of my shoes have them as do my Husband's shoes. If you look on eBay you can most of the time find a bargain on some older wood shoe trees that are solid front and on the hinge in the back area so you can fit them right on into the shoe. And if nothing else, the cheap ones that are just plastic and metal will work as well. One thing about any shoe tree is to see it fit snug enough to pull creasing but to not PULL a crease down along the lower side of the shoes. Good luck finding what you need. I have found killer deals for wood shoe trees on eBay for less than $20.00 shipped that are the full shoe tree (vintage ones) that do not have any "spring action" for them to fit properly, they fit snug due to being the proper size.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
The effectiveness of shoe trees in maintaining the form of the shoe will vary greatly, depending on how well the shape of the tree corresponds to the last that was used to make the shoe. This is why high end makers craft trees to go with their shoes. In terms of after-market shoe trees, I think the spring-loaded split toe variety wins out, because it can better accommodate a variety of widths.

For me, the key issue with trees is where they impact the heel, not the difference between solid and split toe. The more widely the pressure from the spring is distributed across the heel, the less likely it is that the tree will create unsightly stress creases running parallel to the sole just below the ankle. As such, I avoid ANY shoe trees with a narrow back end, in favor of trees with a more fully sculpted heel.

Spartcom5

New in Town
Yea, I'm using nordstrom split toes so no problem with the heel being too narrow. However, I do see a odd crease running along the side, weird thing is that the shoe tree is the smallest size they go (small) but I think it has something to do with the poor shape the leather was in the first place. 1950s shoes that were worn a good amount but probably never had shoe trees in them. I can post some pictures if you want but I don't think it can get better....

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Yeah, once those creases are in the leather, I'm not sure there is a way to fix them. But as goes the conventional refrain on the Lounge, you should definitely soak them in Cadillac's leather conditioner. It will restore an amazing amount of life to the leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21