Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shop like it's 1929

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What do you get when you mix racks of designer clothing with hot vegetable soup?

A new SoHo boutique named The 1929 - after the Depression - and a place where fashionistas and the down-and-out soon could be rubbing shoulders.

The street level store on MottSt. is decked out with racks of snazzy dresses, pants and tops by independent designers.

The basement level has been transformed into an art and performance space by night and a spot where hungry shoppers, or even passersby, can pick up a free bowl of soup and coffee during the day.

"The store is inspired by the Great Depression," said store manager Aaron Genuth, 25, one of three friends who created the business.

"There's a feeling that people getting together can make things better on a local level, like we are doing here, and in a greater sense for the whole country," Genuth said.

The store is one of a growing number of "popup retailers" moving into vacant storage spaces around the city on short-term leases.

It opened near Mott and Broome Sts. on Black Friday and has a contract through next month.

After that, the owners will have to find a new location. They also plan to expand their empire online.

"Fashion has always been something for the rich," said designer Levi Okunov, who is also a partner in The 1929.

"Who said it can't be for the masses? We want people to come here, have a bowl of soup, try on some clothing and maybe check out the artwork downstairs.

"It's not only a clothing store, but a collective space of people's energies."
http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyl...at_soho_store_theyre_gonna_retail_like_i.html

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
lol
Today I was in a thrift shop that has free subs, pastries, sodas, and Starbucks coffee. All while you shop. Very homey.

jayem

A-List Customer
The local Salvation Army by my house has a cafe run by some nuns inside and it's all homemade pastries, cookies, and fresh brewed coffee. Very tasty.

I've been going to the Salvation Army for years, and lately I've just been seeing more and more people inside. Same thing with the dollar stores. Nobody can afford anything anymore. I know this Christmas my friends and I decided to nix the presents and just bake/make things for one another. In a way, I like it better...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
The guy wearing slippers? [huh]

Well see...I could wear my slippers to the Goodwill*.....but I have to be able to shop there first and buy them.....huge catch 22 goin' on with this....

Maybe they just need more parking.

*if I have worn slippers under a gown at the QM in a ballroom, I sure as heck could parade around in the Goodwill in them.

Foofoogal

Banned
Same thing with the dollar stores.

I would much prefer people shop at thrift stores. I do understand the need to shop at the dollar stores but each and every day it is paying for China products and taking away more and more.

Feraud

Bartender
"a collective space of people's energies" sounds like a creative (and silly) piece of marketing hype.

I find this idea interesting-
The store is one of a growing number of "popup retailers" moving into vacant storage spaces around the city on short-term leases.
It seems like a smart idea to provide short term leases to promote business.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I hate Malls, and shopping centres, I love strip shopping, i need to feel the weather, I dont need music.( its never what i what to hear anyway ) I know what i need to buy and where to find it, I love little markets, car boot sales, Op shops, second hand shops , where I can be suprised, by stumbling on "Must haves" and "treasures" it never happens in wal-mart ( but rather more often in Target) they seem to have a retro thread in the buying dept at Target, heard a rumour Starke designs for the blighters :eusa_clap

Caroline

One of the Regulars
This idea sort of reminds me of the old 1970's faux deco store Big Biba, but, minus the giant lease and operating costs Biba had. I wish I could have visited the store just once. Biba too, opened up right about when a giant recession hit.

flat-top said:
"It's not only a clothing store, but a collective space of people's energies."

This kind of sentiment makes me throw up in my mouth though...

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Mall HATE

With whats forthcoming for
retail in 2009 you may be
seeing some Mall GHOST
TOWNS etc. [huh]

IMO prefer strip centers
the in/out experience!

Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Biba

Speaking of Biba I have just read "The Great White Palace" by Tony Porter, he helped design Big Biba, in the old Derry & Tom store in Kensington, (Which is now Marks and Spencers.) When Biba closed beautifull fittings were torn out and shrown into dumpsters "Oh the Humanity!"

I Digress, anyway Tony Bought an old Art Deco Hotel on Burgh Island and "Did it up"

http://www.burghisland.com/

http://www.tonyporter.co.uk/welcome.htm

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone know if this shop is still around? Anyone have any similar stories about shops like this?

We're three years out from the crash - any similar shopping stories, or are we all back to buying the new trendy things?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy