Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shopping rant

davestlouis

Practically Family
I rarely shop for clothing in normal stores, I tend to buy everything at thrift stores, but I got a wild hair today, and went shopping. I'm in my 40s, cleanshaven, ironed white oxford, charcoal wool trousers and shined loafers, so I didn't look like a bum.
Store #1, free-standing Jos. A. Bank location, 3 clerks ignored me like I wasn't there, got disgusted and left.
Store#2, Dillard's at the local mall. Marvin in the shoe dept descended on me like a used car salesman and worked me over...I didn't buy but he was pretty aggressive. In the suit dept, crap selection, HSM suits at $695 and $795, Daniel Cremieux at $495, and Murano suits at $249, the only ones that looked good were the HSM, and since the lone clerk already had a customer, I was SOL
Store #3, Johnston and Murphy store, nice enough people, shoes were not very impressive, but they gave me a catalog for their Custom Select line, and showed me leather samples.
Store #4Jos. A. Bank in the mall, tiny store, tiny selection, not impressed
Store #5, Macy's, yuck, that's all I can say.

The whole process left me cold. Next time I need an honest-to-God suit, I think I may have to look for the biggest Dillard's I can find, or Brooks Brothers. I'm thoroughly irritated with the lack of service in most of the stores, or lack of staff.

The folks at the J&M store were nice enough, and Marvin, the Dillard's shoe guy, were the only clerks that gave me any kind of reasonable service. Now I remember why I hate shopping...

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Strange, I usually wish to be ignored in the store. But they will never leave me alone.

Unless I'm buying a service then I usually just want browsing solitude.

Mav

A-List Customer
davestlouis said:
I got a wild hair today, and went shopping.

There's yer problem.
I internet shop, as well. Despise stores. And crowds. And everything that goes with it. Like human interaction- I get enough of that at work.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Either they're all over me like undercover cops hunting a criminal or I start worrying that I've crossed over and not realized it. I prefer online shopping these days whenever possible.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Like others here, I too do shopping on the internet for the most part. I was very fortunate to find, just recently, three articles of clothing at the Salvation Army right in town. Nice charcoal dress type pants, an oxford style shirt that had sage green small print plaid, and a sweater. Tried them all on and they all fit perfectly...I was amazed...it was a rarity.

Got them all for just under $15. :)

As for those suit prices...that's my rent payment right there...along with electricity, gas, and any supplements I may need.

Foofoogal

Banned
The folks at the J&M store were nice enough, and Marvin, the Dillard's shoe guy, were the only clerks that gave me any kind of reasonable service.

I am amazed you found even Marvin. Half the people in shops don't even know where they work it seems.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Lillemor said:
Either they're all over me like undercover cops hunting a criminal or I start worrying that I've crossed over and not realized it. I prefer online shopping these days whenever possible.

lol I remember when non-virtual shopping used to be a treat. These days, I'll avoid it like the plague, especially on a weekend when the malls look like the set of Dawn of the Dead. Around here it's all high street chains, with the same old cheaply made, poorly fitting stuff, terrible service, overinflated prices, and long queues.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A few weeks back I went to three different stores in one day trying to get things not out of the ordinary, and all three stores were out of what I needed. The kicker was, all of them gave me the 'oh well' attitude.

And I'm all, "Dude. The reason Im here is the reason you are employed. If we stopped shopping this brick and mortar store, you wouldn't have a job." I was disgusted.

The only thing I buy at a store anymore are groceries, and Id buy those online, but I like to select my own produce.

LD

Chas

One Too Many
Find yourself a good tailor. Costs extra but quality costs in any case, and it also supports the little guy/gal.

I have been feeling much the same way as the rest of you about contemporary shopping for a long time; I would rather saw off my fingers with a hacksaw and eat them on American Idol than go to a mall.

Perhaps I exaggerate, but I am thinkin' that you get the general gist of the statement.

I'm not sure what you want.[huh] Surely, as an adult, you're capable of picking out your own stuff, without the attentions of a member of staff? It's really not very difficult.

bk

p.s. Complaints about level of service and "how good it used to be" are as old as shops. There's a great cartoon on this topic in a 1932 Apparel Arts that I'll have a look for.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember another Lounger who avoided shops because the clerks asked him to fast. He thought it was intimidating and he felt forced to buy something he doesn't want.
So there are two extremes. The employees don't know which type you are

Maybe most people want to be left alone for a first look and then ask if they want something special? That's the way I do it.
I do often say "Thank you. I am just looking around"

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
I'm not sure what you want.[huh] Surely, as an adult, you're capable of picking out your own stuff, without the attentions of a member of staff? It's really not very difficult.

bk

Depends what service you need! If I am standing at the checkout with my purse waiting to pay, and they are far too busy chatting amongst themselves to take my money, it isn't really something I can help myself with!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"You defiantly get Good Customer service if the Sales Person, is also the owner, I have changed the Shop here in SRC, where I purchase my Hats, as the owner has employed two "Chicks" who are clueless and lazy!, my new favourite store, even organised for a sample of felt, to be scooped up off the cutting room floor at Akubrah factory, and sent to the shop for my inspection, and of course I made a special order!!

http://www.outbackred.com.au/

I think that's actually the topic of that cartoon I mentioned. I really must find it. It was a juxtaposition of he same group of sales clerks before and after the '29 stocks crash. In the "early" drawing they were standing around as you describe, in their "jazz" suits, lighting cigars with banknotes, or something similar, ignoring the customers. "Who needs you, Bub?" In the later drawing they were running around like the proverbial blue-abdomened insects, desperate for business.

I just don't think i've ever required a clerk to help me pick something out …

Puzzicato said:
Depends what service you need! If I am standing at the checkout with my purse waiting to pay, and they are far too busy chatting amongst themselves to take my money, it isn't really something I can help myself with!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok just another thought. I always try to see both sides...

Service is a valuable thing. Somebody has to pay the clerks. So things will be more expensive than online. Some time ago the people started to skip the service and buy online. Or even try the things on in the store and then go home and buy online cheap.
So no wonder they can't afford skilled salesperson anymore. They have to deal with unfriendly customers (and if they would have own fora they would start rant threads about them . Haha.)

If you (general "you" not davestlouis) go in there with a bad mood you don't get the salesperson any better. But yeah. It's their job to be friendly and helpful.
Maybe just say "Thank you" if the consulting service is good and maybe they will remember for teh next time....

davestlouis

Practically Family
Marvin the shoe guy was on me like a locust...he had looked me up and down, and even noted that I had fresh edge dressing on my shoes, and complimented me for polishing them in the first place. That department had 3 people working it, all middle aged men, and they were hovering around just like salesmen on a car dealer's lot.

I need assistance with shoes, because they are stored in back, I need assistance with suits for fitting purposes, but if I just need a pair of socks I'll find them myself. My issue is one of common courtesy...at least acknowledge that I walked into your allegedly upscale store by saying "good morning" or somesuch. If the clerks, who get paid for selling merchandise, pretend I'm not there, pretty soon I won't be there any more, and they won't have to pretend. I don't expect much at WalMart, but when I walk into Jos A. Bank, I'm paying for a certain level of service...

That rascal Marvin may make a sale yet...I keep thinking that I should just buy the damn AE Park Avenues, and he made enough of an impression on me that I'll ask for him if I do go back.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
davestlouis said:
Marvin the shoe guy was on me like a locust...he had looked me up and down, and even noted that I had fresh edge dressing on my shoes, and complimented me for polishing them in the first place.

:eusa_clap ...haven't used edge dress since the Army. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran