Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short pants and lack of feminine style

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I was shopping yesterday at a major dept. store and noticed short, wide-legged pants everywhere. I guess I've been in the boonies too long. I have a curvy short body and I could probably wear some of these short pants as regular pants! And forget wearing them as short pants--I'd look more like a midget! The only dresses I could find were the prom-like evening dresses. And maybe a few racks of skirts, but mostly long pants and short pants. I thought I'd found the perfect skirt. It was a beautiful dark olive color with wide pleats on the bottom and it was mostly rayon (I'm a true rayon girl)! But sadly, the store had used really tight hangers and the grips on the hangers made deep dents in the fabric and appeared to have damaged the rayon when I went to pay for it. I pointed it out to the clerk and she called the manager. The manager just kind of said sorry, but didn't offer an extra discount (they were already 25% off). I'm not sure if I could of steamed the clamp marks out or not and didn't want to take the chance with the skirt still being a little pricey. So I left the store empty-handed and slightly confused with the fall fashion trend. I thought I had read somewhere that more vintage-looking styles were for fall, but the wide short pants really threw me. I think I'm going to have to drive 50 miles to the next large town to find some real woman clothes. Since I did find that one skirt, it has given me hope that I'll find a few more things out there, I'll just have to look more.

I've noticed that even the thrift shops don't have as many dresses and skirts like they used to.

Move over women's liberation movement, I want to start the Women's Femininization Movement!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
If you mean the Gaucho style pants, the style is actually like that of Sportswear from the 1930's:
sport05_001.jpg

My pattern is all one piece, but I have seen patterns for seperates in this style. Granted, not the most feminine, but period :D
And I totally agree that things aren't cared for well at retail stores!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I think I've seen these

What I've seen out at the shops are woolen short pants-- kind of with the feel of bermuda shorts. Is this what you are talking about? I keep running across darling tailored, woolen jackets that have a vintage feel-- (even some at Target for $28)-- look around for the skirt and slacks to match and come up against this silly short pants.

Honey Doll

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
The picture Lauren posted is a lot like what I see around here. I saw a girl in a pair with that little 4-button sailor-flap front and it was adorable. I can't pull it off with my stubby little legs, but there are some gorgeously coltish fashionable ladies wearing them up and down the streets with little jackets or wrap tops.

Then again, I can't swing my tiny little purse around without hitting a store selling dresses with a 50s silhouette. Zara has 10,000 that I'd want to buy or marry, and the black, full-skirted shirtdress with 3/4 sleeves is truly ubiquitous right now. I wish fewer of them had cap sleeves (I just cannot wear a cap sleeve with my linebacker shoulders), but I do like to see them walking around the streets.

BV

Honey Doll

Practically Family
BettyValentine said:
Then again, I can't swing my tiny little purse around without hitting a store selling dresses with a 50s silhouette. Zara has 10,000 that I'd want to buy or marry, and the black, full-skirted shirtdress with 3/4 sleeves is truly ubiquitous right now. I wish fewer of them had cap sleeves (I just cannot wear a cap sleeve with my linebacker shoulders), but I do like to see them walking around the streets.

BV

Really-- where are they hiding them-- I haven't seen anything but the most unattractive offerings at my local mall and definitely nothing with a 50s feel...

What's Zara's?

Honey Doll

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well what I have seen of them is that they are made out of this horrid stretchy clingy fabric and the girls (yes girls) who wear them, wear them on their hips and too tight so their thighs are molded to the pant and you have this fringe below the knee just flappin all about.

Ick.

LD

maisie

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
If you mean the Gaucho style pants, the style is actually like that of Sportswear from the 1930's:
sport05_001.jpg

My pattern is all one piece, but I have seen patterns for seperates in this style. Granted, not the most feminine, but period :D
And I totally agree that things aren't cared for well at retail stores!

I love that pattern!:D I have a NOS dress that came with the tags still attached that is very, very similar to the pattern and looks so much like a sporty dress and is in a really colourful cotton print fabric!

Snookie

Practically Family
HP903.jpg

Here's a pattern I own that is similar. I think it's interesting that both are casualwear, but when you're not straddling something or standing wide-legged, the vintage pants are styled to look like skirts. Something that the modern styles don't generally do.

I actually love this trend, because I can find pants that fit my waist AND my hips (usually there aren't so many wide-legged pants on the market). I own several pairs, my favorites are a brown cord (very tailored) and a white linen (very sporty). None of that nasty clingy fabric for me. :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I agree. I have some darling ones I got at H&M that are linen. I wear them ALL the time because they're so comfy, and when I pair them with a stripey tee and espadrille flats they look very 30's :)

And thanks for the comments on my pattern!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Girls, your patterns are so sweet! Now those look feminine to me. No, the ones I see are like what Lady Day said, made out of yucky stretchy fabric. And like Daisy, those type of pants look bad on my short frame. But, there are some gals that can pull that look off, especially with a proper jacket. Sadly, I see girls in public wearing these too tight and too low and not classy at all.

I like that the patterns give an illusion of wearing a skirt with the comfort of pants. Now, that is something I could wear! I don't know what Zara is, but I haven't seen anything like what BettyValentine saw with a 50s look. (I prefer 30s, but will wear stuff from the 40s and 50s) Maybe its because I live in the Midwest and as most of you know, it takes a while for a trend to reach here. Has anybody heard of Dress Barn? We have a few of those around here (within 50 miles). I was thinking maybe they would have something.

Lauren and Snookie, thanks for posting your patterns. Now I'm going to have to find one for me! Again, I learned something new today!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
They do have gaucho cut trousers that are not in stretch...but you have to look at slightly higher end shops to find them.

On me they tend to be a bit too long but not long enough to be regular trousers...

I have had great luck with Ann Taylor Loft regular trousers lately. Wide legged and high-enough waisted....very classy indeed.

Elaina

One Too Many
I have gauchos that I made for the same reason. I just made a pair in black polyester (like the kind Grandma wears) trhat turned out very well. I don't do stretchy anything.

I also have some silk in a Hawaiian print (think camoflauge done in a hawaiian print here) that are about to be gauchos in the next few hours.

I don't wear alot of pants, but these lend to blouses well, and I luckily have the legs for them.

Elaina

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I love the picture Lauren posted and the outfit she described. It sounds so cute! Unfortunately I'm so short I am not sure how that would flatter my figure!

Lady Day said:
Well what I have seen of them is that they are made out of this horrid stretchy clingy fabric and the girls (yes girls) who wear them, wear them on their hips and too tight so their thighs are molded to the pant and you have this fringe below the knee just flappin all about.

Ick.

LD

Yep, those are tremendously popular here right now. Ick is right! I see a lot of girls wearing them, of course with flip flops and usually some type of baggy t-shirt with a slogan on it.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Ann Taylor Loft Coupon!

Snookie said:
Ann Taylor Loft is where my linen pants are from -- I love that store! I should go look at what they've got for fall.

Be sure to pick up a copy of Shop Etc. magazine. It's the edition with a blurb on the cover that says there is a coupon for 20% off (I think) at Ann Taylor Loft. The coupon is good for Thursday, October 12 only. (I am typing this from memory, so I cannot verify the details.)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I really like the Ann Taylor Loft green and gray plaid skirt the mag shows in the mid-price "luxe or less look." If I get that, I'll wear it with my short gray jacket.

I also like their sweetheart tees. As for most of the clothes shown on the page that has the coupon, meh.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Zara is a chain clothing store. I think it might be from Spain. There are a lot of them around here.

I don't think I've seen gauchos in anything stretchy around here. Most of the ones I see around look like a lightweight wool or some sort of textured suiting, and they flare out from the hips in a narrow A-line.

It must be a location thing. I'm in New York, and I work in the 5th/Park/Madison Ave. area right near all the big fancy stores, so I don't see many shlubby women because the people I see on the street are on their way to work in offices or fancy stores/restaurants, so they have to look nice. And it's a pretty fashiony sort of area, so most of them are probably at least a little style-conscious.

The thing I don't get is crocs. They're big, brightly colored rubber gardening clogs with holes punched in the top of them. (I don't think shoes should need air vents). And *all* the tourists are wearing them! I have seen a dozen people, male and female, wearing these things with matching tops or pants. I saw a woman in a pair of fuschia crocs with white shorts and a matching fuschia top. I almost keeled over and died. That can't have been a comfort-induced style accident! I can understand wearing them while gardening or something, but I can't quite wrap my brain around someone building her going-out outfit around her horrible, horrible shoes.

BV

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
BettyValentine said:
The thing I don't get is crocs. They're big, brightly colored rubber gardening clogs with holes punched in the top of them. (I don't think shoes should need air vents). And *all* the tourists are wearing them! I have seen a dozen people, male and female, wearing these things with matching tops or pants. I saw a woman in a pair of fuschia crocs with white shorts and a matching fuschia top. I almost keeled over and died. That can't have been a comfort-induced style accident! I can understand wearing them while gardening or something, but I can't quite wrap my brain around someone building her going-out outfit around her horrible, horrible shoes.

BV

I don't "get" crocs either. I had no idea they were popular until a coworker showed me a pair she had finally broken down and bought for her adolescent daughter, after weeks of begging. I really cannot believe those things are considered stylish! I have 3 pair that I have had for years. I wear when I am working out in the yard! I had no idea I was a trend-setting fashionista while I was planting flowers. lol I guess they are no worse than those awful 80s "jellies" shoes.

What will be the next big fashion fad? Rubber gloves? Plastic shower caps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran