Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:
I love this houndstooth but is such a big h'tooth still made anywhere?:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Surprisingly, today I saw a girl carrying a purse with this same large pattern. So it's possible it's still made.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
Bingo!

Marc Chevalier said:
I know this jacket! Like you, I saw it at that Melrose store -- the one with the spade symbol. I didn't buy it because of the small size and the several (small) moth holes. Congratulations! :eusa_clap
Yes, Marc. As I'm sure you know, the store is not really selling vintage anymore. At least it wasn't the last time I checked. I'm kind of a small guy, so the jacket fits me like a glove. It must have been hard for you to pass up. Well, Marc, I thank you for not buying it, because it is my absolute favorite jacket. Although I do have to get the holes fixed. Thanks

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
cookie said:
I love this houndstooth but is such a big h'tooth still made anywhere?
I've seen it in a fabric book recently, it could have been Holland & Sherry. I haven't seen it in RTW.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Enigma1947 said:
It must have been hard for you to pass up.

It was. I spent quite a few minutes at the store, pacing and trying to decide. It didn't fit me, that's for sure ... but I thought about getting it to sell on eBay. In the end, I decided to leave it there for someone else. So glad it turned out to be you, amigo! :eusa_clap

Incidentally, Enigma, that store is selling some new clothes by a Japanese manufacturer that imitates vintage menswear. They even have *one* black belted-back DB jacket, in a small size. Last time I checked, the jacket was still there, on a mannequin form in a corner. Have you seen it yet?

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
The Japanese clothing maker

Marc, I couldn't believe I found this jacket. I actually have not been back to Melrose in a couple of months because I've been busy with school. I knew that it was a japanese company selling at the store, but I did not know that they were doing any repros. This black jacket you speak of, Is it an accurate repro? -Jeff

cookie

I'll Lock Up
My New Jacket

I really liked the unusual colour of this jacket which was sold recently by fellow Lounger Resortes out of the Paramount Studio wardrobe dept.

carter

I'll Lock Up
194050jacketaa4.jpg

Cookie, I posted a larger image.

Low three-button, patch pockets, notched lapels. Single or double vented? Looking forward to seeing it in action.

I like the color. It also looks like a very interesting texture. What is the fabric?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
New Jacket

Late 1940's early 1950's mens patch pocket sports coat. This is just like the sports coats Desi Arnaz wore on I love Lucy, with broad heavily padded shoulders and a tapered waist! This coat is also skeleton lined with no rear vent.

It looks like pure wool to me.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I'm not sure why the image is not appearing (although the link works). Is Flickr not one of the photo hosting sites we can use here? It works on other boards I belong to.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Enigma1947 said:
Marc, I couldn't believe I found this jacket. I actually have not been back to Melrose in a couple of months because I've been busy with school. I knew that it was a japanese company selling at the store, but I did not know that they were doing any repros. This black jacket you speak of, Is it an accurate repro? -Jeff

It's the brand 'Or Glory," their work is awesome, too bad it all comes in one size.
I snapped so pics over the weekend. I'll try and post them soon.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
That is a truly amazing sportscoat, Enigma.

Here a recent one for me, with 'fleck' fabric and patch pockets.

1950's "Cricketeer".

DSCN0569.jpg

DSCN0574.jpg

New jacket for my wardrobe

My Irvin purchase has reduced my kitty for other things, but when deals like this come along . . .

In brown gabardine. American, though sourced in Scotland. In the very distinctive American two-button notch lapel style with very high buttons. Lovely top stitching to the lapels. There are no makers labels or date indications. This could have been made any time in the golden era.

Very similar back to the Aussie one i posted earlier, but instead of 6 knife pleats, this one has a box pleat in the centre and two knife pleats either side. All pleats running from shoulder panel to belt. Three patch pockets with double centre-facing knife pleat motif. I really like the harmony of the pockets with the back. Note how the pockets have a top panel, and how this reflects the shoulder panel of the back. The buttons are of the same type that Marc Chevalier once switched out of a jacket. If i keep this jacket, i will retain these buttons. They're pretty cool.

Front:

BrownBeltBack1.jpg

Back:

BrownBeltBack2.jpg

Lining with bound edges:

BrownBeltBack3.jpg

Slightly angled breast pocket highlighting the knife pleats:

BrownBeltBack4.jpg

bk

I'm particularly pleased that it's a solid-coloured one. This will mix and match with soooo many different pairs of trousers. Mustard flannels look great with this jacket.

Clearly the arms are too long and need to come up a bit, but other than that the fit is just a wee bit too big. I ca live with it, i think. At least the length is good. I can't think of any way this photo could be worse. sorry:

BrownBeltBack5.jpg

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80