Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Sweet baby Jesus and the Orphans!

More info Scott. Where on earth did it come from? What's the era?

I think i just soiled myself.

bk

lol lol lol

Thanks, BK. I nearly lost my 1st cuppa coffee reading that.
I'd be interested in the provenance of Scot's jacket as well.

Great jackets gentlemen. :eusa_clap

Micawber, I particularly like the two contemporary shooting jackets. I always enjoy posts of your wardrobe and that of Sir RBH. Great stuff! :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Baron Kurtz said:
I was thinking of a pair of tan gabardine slacks that Scott owns. Lovely trousers they are.

bk

They'd work too. A former owner had a belly so they've got a bit of crumple in the waistband to work out. The pleats are wee bit gappy on me. I think I need to give up and have them let back out an inch or so.

It may also want these:

38X36FHdarkolive.jpg

The jacket is no more than 20 years old, bespoke. It would be impossible unless you had it in your hands to distinguish from a 1934 job. I would bet that bi-swing shoulders were considered for it, but the cloth is simply too heavy to make them lie properly.

Another of those sources I'll never reveal. :)

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
Great pics everyone! Here is a belted-back I got on ebay a few years back.

Got this for $100 a few years ago on ebay. Check out the buttons! It has the NRA label.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
Here's another of my favorites!

I couldn't believe it when I found this one at a certain Melrose vintage clothing store a few months back. It is dated 1937! The store labeled it as 1950's!!! I'm sure they did this because of the fleck. My heart skipped a beat when I saw it. I paid $35. Can you believe it? Check out the material! And the back!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That one is really amazing! Do I see two breast pockets? And are there purple flecks among the green?

Wow! $35! :eusa_clap

Also this:

2829179390102086289S600x600Q85.jpg

Is very close to this:

gablehat4.JPG

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
Another One.

Found this at my local Goodwill about 3 years ago. Paid something around $5! Dated April, 1942. Check out the cut. Notice that there is no hole for a lapel pin.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
Yup! You are right!

Scotrace, yes. That is two breast pockets you see. And yes, it does have bright green and brown flecks. Thanks for pointing that out. $35. Probably one of the best deals I've ever had!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
So there are vintage items to be found at Goodwill? I stopped going a few months back after netting bupkiss in a year of checking every week. I've been told that they have pros cherry pick the incoming stuff, culling out anything of value to be sold to dealers. Now I have to start checking again!!

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
Another! My absolute favorite!!

Found this at another certain Melrose vintage store a few months back. They are not really selling vintage clothing anymore. Paid like $45. I looooove this one. Notice the double blue and orange windowpane design. Also, notice the belt. It doesn't stop at the seam between the back of the jacket and the front. It comes around to one of the side seams. You don't see that too often. I hav'nt had the pleasure of wearing it yet. It has a few little holes that I must take care of, first.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
Search and search and search!

Scotrace, don't give up! Don't ever give up! Search wherever there is used clothing, whether it is Goodwill, yard sales, estate sales. Search everywhere! Good stuff is out there to be found.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I know this jacket! Like you, I saw it at that Melrose store -- the one with the spade symbol. I didn't buy it because of the small size and the several (small) moth holes. Congratulations! :eusa_clap

Enigma1947 said:

Found this at another certain Melrose vintage store a few months back. They are not really selling vintage clothing anymore. Paid like $45. I looooove this one. Notice the double blue and orange windowpane design. Also, notice the belt. It doesn't stop at the seam between the back of the jacket and the front. It comes around to one of the side seams. You don't see that too often. I hav'nt had the pleasure of wearing it yet. It has a few little holes that I must take care of, first.

Rooster

Practically Family
Boy, you guys are a hard act to follow!:eusa_clap I'll show off my modern and meager few...
Grey wool with pleated pockets, probably from the 80's, as are the rest of these coats.
sc1.jpg

Courduroy with all kinds of cool features. Bellows pockets, belted back, bi-swing shoulders leather elbow pads and one of those hold 'em closed at the throat thingyies.
sc2.jpg

sc3.jpg

sc4.jpg

Next is a Willis and Geiger. Cotton twill, reinforced elbows, leather trim on the cuffs and collar, belted back vented and gusseted pits and another one of those throat thing a ma bobs. It has all kinds of hide away pockets and a keep cool mesh lining. All the interior seams are taped too. Unfortunatly it is one of the most uncomfortable coats I own. Raise your arms at a 45 degree angle and the whole thing wants to lift off over your head. VERY low arm holes.
sc5.jpg

sc6.jpg

sc7.jpg

sc8.jpg

All in all, when I'm going about business in town I actually prefer my British WWII belted bush jacket from What Price Glory. I'ts far more comfortable and in today's world almost as formal.;)

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
So there are vintage items to be found at Goodwill? I stopped going a few months back after netting bupkiss in a year of checking every week. I've been told that they have pros cherry pick the incoming stuff, culling out anything of value to be sold to dealers. Now I have to start checking again!!

Scott, I think the quality of stuff at Goodwill varies by location. I never found anything at all that was decent in the DC area. Here in Louisville, I occasionally find decent modern stuff, but haven't yet come across anything vintage that was older than the '60s.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Of course not...

Orgetorix said:
Scott, I think the quality of stuff at Goodwill varies by location. I never found anything at all that was decent in the DC area. Here in Louisville, I occasionally find decent modern stuff, but haven't yet come across anything vintage that was older than the '60s.

...my mother is from Kentucky. The older folks there never got rid of something that had some life left in it. My guess is that the progression was from dress, to casual, to chores, to the rag bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael