Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

Micawber

A-List Customer
Somewhat unusual, a recent purchase from Sir RBH a heavy DB from Bedford Riding Breeches, London.

BRB01.jpg

benstephens

Practically Family
Baron,

Well observed, that sports coat has a very slight orange stripe running through the predominent black and white check.

Matt, I will take some better pictures of that sports jacket which will hopefully show the colours better.

Kindest Regards

Ben

Micawber

A-List Customer
herringbonekid said:
Micawber are those first two of yours early 1900s ?

The black one is a heavy woollen hunt coat which could be 50-70 years old.

The tweed is basically a similar frock coat cut and was bespoke made for a member of hunt staff around 30 years ago.

Hunt coats are still constructed in the frock coat style much as they have been since the 19th Cent.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Note the latch stored buttoned onto the lining of next to the inside pocket of the grey number (second one down). A nice and useful feature - clearly a wearer who knows what they wanted. Thanks for pointing out that these styles are still current - I don't think anyone believes me.

Alan

Micawber said:
The black one is a heavy woollen hunt coat which could be 50-70 years old.

The tweed is basically a similar frock coat cut and was bespoke made for a member of hunt staff around 30 years ago.

Hunt coats are still constructed in the frock coat style much as they have been since the 19th Cent.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alan Eardley said:
Note the latch stored buttoned onto the lining of next to the inside pocket of the grey number (second one down). A nice and useful feature - clearly a wearer who knows what they wanted.
I have a relatively modern (~20 years old, maybe) American made RTW tweed or two from Norman Hilton with the latch storage buttons in the same place. It's a great feature.

Here's a Turnbull & Asser by Chester Barrie I have:

taheadless3pveg8.jpg

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Alan Eardley said:
Note the latch stored buttoned onto the lining of next to the inside pocket of the grey number (second one down). A nice and useful feature - clearly a wearer who knows what they wanted. Thanks for pointing out that these styles are still current - I don't think anyone believes me.

Alan

What is this "latch" of which you speak? I see the piece of gray cloth buttoned there; what does it do?

AlanC

A throat latch will allow you to turn the collar up and then button the lapels/collar together thus closing up the front of the coat for protection from the elements.

Micawber

A-List Customer
AlanC said:
A throat latch will allow you to turn the collar up and then button the lapels/collar together thus closing up the front of the coat for protection from the elements.

Exactly, it performs the same function as the tab visible on the collar of the green jacket.

Benny Holiday

Prairie Dog said:
Hey Benny from down under, is that the Target logo in the ad you've just posted.
I didn't know that Target went global!:eusa_doh:

Anyway those print tees and shorts are not so bad for "Skateboarders" and "Surferdudes".
Great graphics though!

G'day PD,

Ol' Target's been going here since 1968. They're part of the massive Coles Myer Group nowadays, the biggest retailing conglomerate in Australia.

With most of our major cities being coastal conurbations, popular fashion is generally very beach or leisure inspired. I'll be sticking to my Hawaiian shirt and khakis, thanks just the same! :D

Jovan

Suspended
Rover: '60s? I like it whatever era it's from.

Micawber: You'd only see that many buttons on a women's coat nowadays, for some reason. I don't normally like more than three buttons, but when done right and with the right accessories, it can be a pretty jaunty alternative from what I've seen. Very nice. We don't see many things from that period here.

Micawber

A-List Customer
Jovan said:
Rover: '60s? I like it whatever era it's from.

Micawber: You'd only see that many buttons on a women's coat nowadays, for some reason. I don't normally like more than three buttons, but when done right and with the right accessories, it can be a pretty jaunty alternative from what I've seen. Very nice. We don't see many things from that period here.

The number of buttons on hunt coats generally tell a story:

3 buttons - normal hunt subscriber

4 buttons - Master

5 buttons - huntsman and whippers-in (hunt staff)

Specific hunt buttons are an honour awarded by the hunt Masters for assisting in the field, service to the hunt etc. Before being awarded the button men and women wear black hunt coats but once the award has been made men are entitled to wear a red coat, women continue to wear black. Before the opening meet tweed, or ratcatcher jackets are worn

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Marquis of Cholmondeley

benstephens said:
Here are some of mine, I think I have posted these before. I have some more at home, all very British!

Marquis.jpg

This one was Tailor made for the Marquess of Cholmondeley in 1938.

http://www.sevcvc.com/l2s2007 035.jpg

A bit hard to see, but this one is an off the peg from a mens outfitters, I would say late 1930s, but hard to be sure, has nice warm orange lines running through it.

DSCF3194.jpg

This one is a 1940s CC41 labelled Jacket. Very Bold check. No Makers mark. I will try and get some better photographs.

Ben

His grandson would not need it - to busy escaping the Kenyan police....

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
A peek

I need to find things to go with. Moleskin trousers and a tattersall shirt, I think. Heavy tweed, single breasted, peak lapels. Hand stitching, surgeon's cuffs, belt back, three pleated pockets. Very fitted in the waist and the shoulders are very roped.

IMG_6541.jpg

IMG_6542.jpg

IMG_6537.jpg

IMG_6538.jpg

IMG_6539.jpg

IMG_6540.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
Once upon a time i would have agreed. These days i'd lean towards maximum fabric contrast and pair it with a glossy silk tie. Possibly a neckerscarf or cravat.

bk
I see where you are going with that idea. Thinking along the same lines... how about brown, black, or dark green linen for a material contrast in the pants?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass