Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off your vintage desktops!

Holyhabanero

New in Town
What's your vintage computer wallpaper?

I searched for a similar topic but nothing came up. I'm a bit of a wallpaper pack rat, so I'm curious to see what vintage wallpaper you may have on your computer, that fits the tastes and styles of a Fedora Lounger.

donCarlos

Practically Family
I think there was a thread on this topic, but why not share our wallpapers again?
There is a Ju-52 on my desktop, my all-time favourite airliner and one of the most beatiful aircraft ever. (I wonder where I took this image from...)

ju_52_2.jpg

DerMann

Practically Family
Ultimately classic:

A painting of Cicero delivering his In Catilinam orations circa 62BC.

As a note, I'm not running Vista.

volatile

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Hm, I've just changed it to this:
22mies.xlarge1.jpg

Is that the Tugenhadt house in Brno!? I've been there; it's amazing! Built in 1932, it has FULLY ELECTRIC WINDOWS! That entire glass window on the right lowers at the flick of a switch. And the curved wall on the left is solid marble that glows warm orange at sunset.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
volatile said:
Is that the Tugenhadt house in Brno!? I've been there; it's amazing! Built in 1932, it has FULLY ELECTRIC WINDOWS! That entire glass window on the right lowers at the flick of a switch. And the curved wall on the left is solid marble that glows warm orange at sunset.

It is. You have been there? What is it being used for now??

volatile

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
It is. You have been there? What is it being used for now??

You can go and see it; they do guided tours. Well, you can't right now, because it's closed for a few years for refurbishment, but it's basically a kind of visitor attraction. I think it'll be open again in a couple of years.

It's had a hard life - and the Tugenhadt family barely lived in it. Wealthy Jews, they fled Nazism shortly after the house was built. It was used, if I remember correctly, by both the Nazis and then later the Russians through to the fall of the Berlin Wall as what must have been the swankiest office building in the whole Eastern bloc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Tugendhat

It's a fantastic space, with a tragic history. A masterpiece of design, taste and engineering; classic and supremely modern (it's way, way ahead of its time), but blighted by the evil politics of the 1930s. A microcosm of Europe in the mid-20th century, in a way.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
For my wallpaper, I generally post a photo from a movie in the center with a black border around the rest of my screen. Here are a few examples of my wallpaper:

wallpaper_murdermysweet.jpg

The picture is from the movie Murder My Sweet.

wallpaper_sinatra.jpg

wallpaper_tex.jpg

This one is from the Tex Murphy computer game series from the 90's.

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
Holyhabanero said:
Hawk, that is awesome. Where did you find that?

Thanks! My wife sent that picture to me last week when I was at work. She said one of her friends gave it to her and she knew I would like it. She was right!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran