Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

Edward Helge Bohlin (1895 - 1980). Saddle-maker and silversmith.

Edward-Bohlin-1024x512.jpg

bohlin_1219_01.jpg

685db413a055c0e2a3133977590f3e36.jpg

Bohlin-with-horse.jpg

bohlin_1219_02-mz5apyd1uhydvxr2zm5hln4yq8uwq6zot13e7z21yo.jpg

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Alexander Turner Sheriff of Mariposa County from 1919 to 1927

45496ee66203d3df65429bad6e3f8fcf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John Castagnetto Sheriff of Mariposa County from 1927 to 1944

1f8fb486fd03a5bd060984fde0c913fa.jpg

These two gentlemen look like they could be pretty hard cases if they needed to be. At the time and place they served, I would expect that they did need to be occasionally.

Last edited:
These two gentlemen look like they could be pretty hard cases if they needed to be. At the time and place they served, I would expect that hey did need to be occasionally.

The nature of law enforcement in the first half of the 20th century bears only a passing resemblance to what it is today...at least in California. Those old-time rural/mountain sheriffs were men with the bark on.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Seeing the French Hotel made me think of Mrs. French played by Rene Zellweger in Appaloosa.

View attachment 142783

View attachment 142785

View attachment 142784
I have read the novel more than once, and knew a film had been made with Ed Harris and Viggo Mortenson. But I didn't know Renee was in it!

If you liked the main characters, there are a couple more novels in the series, at least one or two written by Robert Parker himself, and one or more by licensed authors, as with the "Spenser" novel series. Parker created some great characters, including Jesse Stone the New England police chief. Stone was written as 35-year-old man. But in the TV movies, Tom Selleck took over the character and made it his.

I have read the novel more than once, and knew a film had been made with Ed Harris and Viggo Mortenson. But I didn't know Renee was in it!

If you liked the main characters, there are a couple more novels in the series, at least one or two written by Robert Parker himself, and one or more by licensed authors, as with the "Spenser" novel series. Parker created some great characters, including Jesse Stone the New England police chief. Stone was written as 35-year-old man. But in the TV movies, Tom Selleck took over the character and made it his.
Thanks Paul. I have read all of the Jesse Stone series & the Sunny Randall series & enjoyed them all. I have not read any of the Spencer series; I prefer to read them in the order they were written, there are so many in this series & I could never get the order down.

I have read the 4 books that Parker himself wrote in the Virgil Cole/Everett Hitch series but I have not read any of those written by Robert Knott after Parker's death.

There is a 5th Western (actually the first to be written by Parker) that is not part of the series; Gunman's Rapsody. It's a good read also.

Renee Zellweger played the part of Allison French in Appaloosa & it was before her drastic makeover. Ed Harris, Viggo Mortenson, Jeremy Irons & even Lance Henriksen were brilliant. I tend to think Zellweger was miscast; just my opinion after reading the book first.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Paul. I have read all of the Jesse Stone series & the Sunny Randall series & enjoyed them all. I have not read any of the Spencer series; I prefer to read them in the order they were written, there are so many in this series & I could never get the order down.

The Godwulf Manuscript was first, then God Save the Child, in which Susan debuts. There's the third, Mortal Stakes, in which Susan and Spenser are not quite the unquestioned couple they are to become; and then came the novel in which Hawk first appears, Promised Land. At that point Parker had his main cast assembled.

Here's the list, in order: https://www.goodreads.com/series/40546-spenser I'd say that after the first 4, Looking for Rachel Wallace, A Savage Place, and Ceremony are very good.

Parker also wrote a Young Adult story about Spenser as a teen in Wyoming: Chasing the Bear. I wish he'd written more in that vein.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana