Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

RBH

Bartender
Why do they have you fenced off from the general public?

Danger to society? :D

I wish this would happen again. I'm close enough to travel to Covington. Did you all bring twenty hats with you?

If you have to ask............:)
:D:D:D

Personally I would like being fenced off, to protect me from the nasty public..............;)

Yall guys are something else!!!!
Yep at that time you had to go through a security check before going onto Beal Street [it is Memphis]
I had my trusty Swiss Army knife with me but the officer said I looked honest ! So she told me to put it under my hat when I went throught the check point!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Marion Robert Morrison, born on May 26th 1907, he was never going to be a star with a name like that so he changed it to John Wayne but he's also well known by his nickname, The Duke.
john-wayne.jpg john-wayne3.jpg john-wayne4.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Legend has it that JFK single-handedly killed the hat industry by being the first President not to wear a hat to his inauguration. Whilst JFK did wear a hat en route to the ceremony, he removed it before addressing the crowd, prompting the myth, that in the years following, he was the cause of the decline of hat wearing.

ned1.jpg ned2.jpg ned3.jpg ned4.jpg ned5.jpg

Legend has it that JFK single-handedly killed the hat industry by being the first President not to wear a hat to his inauguration. Whilst JFK did wear a hat en route to the ceremony, he removed it before addressing the crowd, prompting the myth, that in the years following, he was the cause of the decline of hat wearing.

View attachment 521964 View attachment 521966

He may have influenced a small percentage of hat wearers, but most "authorities" cite the advent of the automobile did far more to create the decline in hat wearing than JFK. I agree with them, but then, when Mr. Kennedy was President of the United States I was far too young to understand any influence he and Mrs. Kennedy may have had on the world of fashion...or anything else, for that matter.

shopkin

New in Town
I remember when JFK was elected. Hats were already in a steep decline. By that time, hats had become old fashioned and JFK represented the new generation. Where we lived, the only men still wearing hats were farmers and ranchers. JFK was also all about appearance and having a bad hair day because of a hat would have been a disaster.

Oliver Milton Lee (1865 - 1941)

NM rancher, deputy US Marshall, & along with two other ranchers were defendants in the Lincoln county NM Range War disappearance & murder of Colonel Albert Jennings Fountain & his 8 yr old son. Their remains were never found. Lee & the other two ranchers were arrested by Sheriff Pat Garrett after a shootout that resulted in the death of Deputy Sheriff Kurt Kearney. Lee & the other two defendants were acquitted at trial. Lee would later serve in the New Mexico Senate.

IMG_2561.jpeg

IMG_2590.jpeg

Today the state of New Mexico has a memorial state park named after Oliver M. Lee. A mural of Lee at the dedication.

IMG_2591.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
As it turns out, I drove through Lincoln, NM today! A great little historical stop.

Oliver Milton Lee (1865 - 1941)

NM rancher, deputy US Marshall, & along with two other ranchers were defendants in the Lincoln county NM Range War disappearance & murder of Colonel Albert Jennings Fountain & his 8 yr old son. Their remains were never found. Lee & the other two ranchers were arrested by Sheriff Pat Garrett after a shootout that resulted in the death of Deputy Sheriff Kurt Kearney. Lee & the other two defendants were acquitted at trial. Lee would later serve in the New Mexico Senate.

View attachment 523075

View attachment 523074

Today the state of New Mexico has a memorial state park named after Oliver M. Lee. A mural of Lee at the dedication.

View attachment 523073

Frederick Wadsworth Loring (1848-1871)

IMG_2596.jpeg

American journalist, novelist & poet. While working as a correspondent for Appleton’s Journal, Loring was sent on the US Army Corps of Engineers cartographic expedition of Arizona led by Lt George M. Wheeler, in the Spring of 1871. The Wheeler Expedition had a rough go of it but Loring managed to file four columns for Appleton’s Journal. In August Loring would file what was to be his fourth & final column titled "The Valley of Death” from Death Valley.

On Nov 5 the expedition was attacked by a group of Yavapai Indians near Wickenburg in route to La Paz. The expedition was traveling in a dry wash & the Yavapai attacked from high ground. At the time of the attack Loring was riding on the top of the stagecoach in the open. The driver, Loring, & four other passengers riding in the coach were killed. Two passengers managed to jump from the coach on the opposite side from the firing & escape. There were 24 bullet holes in the side of the coach. The attack became known as the Wickenburg Massacre.

The pic of Loring was taken that morning only hrs before his death. Picture & hat are in the possession of the Loring family descendants. The hat is said to have four bullet holes thru it.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Frederick Wadsworth Loring (1848-1871)

View attachment 524922

American journalist, novelist & poet. While working as a correspondent for Appleton’s Journal, Loring was sent on the US Army Corps of Engineers cartographic expedition of Arizona led by Lt George M. Wheeler, in the Spring of 1871. The Wheeler Expedition had a rough go of it but Loring managed to file four columns for Appleton’s Journal. In August Loring would file what was to be his fourth & final column titled "The Valley of Death” from Death Valley.

On Nov 5 the expedition was attacked by a group of Yavapai Indians near Wickenburg in route to La Paz. The expedition was traveling in a dry wash & the Yavapai attacked from high ground. At the time of the attack Loring was riding on the top of the stagecoach in the open. The driver, Loring, & four other passengers riding in the coach were killed. Two passengers managed to jump from the coach on the opposite side from the firing & escape. There were 24 bullet holes in the side of the coach. The attack became known as the Wickenburg Massacre.

The pic of Loring was taken that morning only hrs before his death. Picture & hat are in the possession of the Loring family descendants. The hat is said to have four bullet holes thru it.
Interesting story!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points