Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their suits

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here's some screengrabs from Birds of Prey (1930):

Frank Lawton shows another good example of the casual British outfit that lasted from the twenties into the fifties - sports jacket, cream trousers, shirt and tie. It's a great look:
FrankLawton1_zpsdfa4769b.jpg

FrankLawtonandDorothyBoyd_zpsa204b27d.jpg

FrankLawton2_zpse21a2b87.jpg

Nigel Bruce displaying a look I rather like - dark suit with light waistcoat. I believe it was a style derived from formalwear which later became very popular in the 1950s:
NigelBruce_zps9f12db90.jpg

Robert Loraine in a nice dressing gown:
robertlorainedressinggown_zpsca252c74.jpg

Frank Lawton pinstripe suit:
FrankLawton3_zps3a411c01.jpg

Overcoat worn as a dressing gown (perfect for the English summer):
FrankLawtonampDorothyBoyd_zps94dc5b59.jpg

Belted overcoat without any buttons:
WarwickWardbeltedovercoatnobuttons2_zpsfc9a0bf5.jpg

WarwickWardbeltedovercoatnobuttons_zpsf69a01fc.jpg

Greed was based on the novel McTeague by Frank Norris which was published in 1899. Erich von Stroheim's classic film adaptation covers the period between 1908 and 1922 with most of the story taking place between 1918 and 1922. It was filmed in 1923 on location in San Francisco, the actual setting of the story, and the interesting part is that the principal characters seem to dress from the 1910 period while in many of the scenes people in "modern" dress and 1923 cars can be seen in the background.

Metatron

One Too Many
Some 'bread and butter' outfits from Black legion (1937)

Very nice suit, with a style of shoulders that points to the early 1930s I believe?

Work shirts, of a style that I had only previously seen in the form of repros. Good to see the originals:

A very well fitted leather jacket with lapels:

I find this suit very unappealing. Not sure why.

Thing is, I haven't really been impressed by Bogart as an actor from what i've seen so far.
(Petrified forest, casablanca, black legion)
Perhaps by today's standards he overacted a bit.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
1936 must have been a good year for British suits. This film 'Cheer Up' is stuffed full of actors in light coloured, single breasted, peaked lapel suits:
kove2_zps6dcbaf33.jpg

kennethykoveright_zps23780c15.jpg

LupinoampRoddyHughes_zps575c9317.jpg

StanleyLupino1_zps034e0ec5.jpg

kove_zps6e0dc500.jpg

suit2_zps9b9bcf9d.jpg

suit1_zps94f81feb.jpg

StanleyLupino4_zps245f4e08.jpg

suit4_zps942b3481.jpg

suit3_zpse74def22.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
More from 'Cheer Up':

shoes1_zpse9b63278.jpg

shoes2_zpsc5705e70.jpg

(cinema seldom shows us shoes and trousers, so I always like to save images)

StanleyLupino3_zps116fb68a.jpg

ErnestSefton_zps860d5f4b.jpg

I am getting increasingly interested in this style of spread collar that appears to have a tab (rather than the more common tab collar that closes around the tie).

Nice baggy trousers:
trousers_zpsadedf679.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
That I cannot say. The first is of the Besaw brothers which are from the late 1800s. One of them fought and was wounded in the Civil War(grandfather had the cane he made).

The second photo is of my grea t great grandparents, the Gandiagas.

The third photo I am not too sure on, sadly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

cchgn

One of the Regulars
That I cannot say. The first is of the Besaw brothers which are from the late 1800s. One of them fought and was wounded in the Civil War(grandfather had the cane he made).

The second photo is of my grea t great grandparents, the Gandiagas.

The third photo I am not too sure on, sadly.

well, just using my powers of observation:

The 1st photo, the 2 on the right are obviously merchants or professionals. The gent seated left is definitely a farmer( not used to wearing a suit) and the lad behind him, what is that, a Fireman's coat? 3 out of 4 looks happy, upper right, not so much.

2nd photo, maybe an early aviator or something, the gent was recently out in the weather, wearing a hat and goggles. Possibly just got back from the WWI. The lady looks strong, happy, pleased with herself, while the Gent, not so much.

3rd photo, looking more like John Dillinger or Pretty Boy Floyd. Something behind his eyes. Hair longer than usual( what did he do for a living?) The Lady doesn't look happy at all. I'm guessing around WWII.

Now, Im sure when folks get their pictures taken , the photographer will try to get them to smile big, but that's the best they could do? IMO, that shows how hard life was back then.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice pictures as always. Keep em coming.

ErnestSefton_zps860d5f4b.jpg

I am getting increasingly interested in this style of spread collar that appears to have a tab (rather than the more common tab collar that closes around the tie).
I could be wrong but maybe it is just a detachable collar we see here?

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
well, just using my powers of observation:

The 1st photo, the 2 on the right are obviously merchants or professionals. The gent seated left is definitely a farmer( not used to wearing a suit) and the lad behind him, what is that, a Fireman's coat? 3 out of 4 looks happy, upper right, not so much.

2nd photo, maybe an early aviator or something, the gent was recently out in the weather, wearing a hat and goggles. Possibly just got back from the WWI. The lady looks strong, happy, pleased with herself, while the Gent, not so much.

3rd photo, looking more like John Dillinger or Pretty Boy Floyd. Something behind his eyes. Hair longer than usual( what did he do for a living?) The Lady doesn't look happy at all. I'm guessing around WWII.

Now, Im sure when folks get their pictures taken , the photographer will try to get them to smile big, but that's the best they could do? IMO, that shows how hard life was back then.

Actually, the lack of smiles in these old photos may be more a symptom of the technology of the time than anything else, especially in the case of the first photo, which may be a dageurrotype. With old photographic equipment, the exposure time was extremely long, measured in minutes, not seconds. It was also imperative that the subject remain absolutely motionless during the entire exposure or risk ruining the picture. A smile is a stress position that is hard to hold for long periods of time with no alteration, so subjects in these photos typically adopted a neutral expression to allow their facial (and other) muscles to remain relaxed and motionless.

cchgn

One of the Regulars
Actually, the lack of smiles in these old photos may be more a symptom of the technology of the time than anything else, especially in the case of the first photo, which may be a dageurrotype. With old photographic equipment, the exposure time was extremely long, measured in minutes, not seconds. It was also imperative that the subject remain absolutely motionless during the entire exposure or risk ruining the picture. A smile is a stress position that is hard to hold for long periods of time with no alteration, so subjects in these photos typically adopted a neutral expression to allow their facial (and other) muscles to remain relaxed and motionless.

That maybe true on the first one, but certainly not the other two.......photography had gretaly improved by the second one and exponentially by the 3rd one.

So , let me get this right, the first one took minutes and while they may have been smiling at the beginning of the exposure, they 'relaxed' their smiles by the end of the exposure? and that didn't effect the exposure at all? Hmmm, seems like there would be a blur or mouths out of focus or something.

Anyway, The only other thought I gave to it was they may have been put off by having to remove their hats. All of them likely wanted their pics with their hats.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I think it's more than the long exposure times in early photography, and there are certainly photos of smiling Victorians. Portraiture was a more formal thing than today, and especially when compared to what we think of photography in the digital age. It means nothing for a hundred photos to be taken with silly faces now, but we don't have a roll of film to limit us.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I know this isn't a period I particularly like (and I'm certainly not a fan of low buttoning two-button jackets) but I still think Stanley Baker looks good here (playing a policeman in 'Violent Playground'):
Bakeramptwins_zps73ab1fd0.jpg

And this man is your stock cinematic art teacher:
artteacher_zpse3ada85c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart