Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Vintage GERMAN Suits

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Broccoli said:

Broccoli I am very happy for you - both suits fit perfectly!

The ADEFA suit is 1934-1938 - the timeframe when it was denoting "Deutsch Arisch" instead of only "Deutsch" (as was the case 1933 and 1939, the year ADEFA was dissolved).

Of course I am particularly glad that you like the peak-lapel striped suit so much.
As I presented this suit on this thread before, I have no problem with taking credit for being the source of this beauty.

Here a frontal shot:

SAM_7068.jpg

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up

I can honestly say that is the best outfit I've seen here on the FL for some time. Absolutely spot on! Every detail, even down to the shape of the watch, is perfect for the outfit.

And yes, I'm sure we would all like to see more details of the suits.

What is the shirt you are wearing with the pin stripe suit? It has a very high collar stand.

(For some time now, this thread has been the most exciting source of vintage suit photos. Keep up the good work!)

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
Thank you everyone.

Does the button on the breast pocket actually close the pocket, or is it for show? A couple Romanians from the Acsinte archives have the button detail, but a pocket square is stuffed in the pocket so they were clearly only decorative on their jackets.

You are right, it seems common for such buttons to only be decorative. But on this suit, all the buttons are fully working. I am not sure how I like it, since I can't wear a pocket square to this one.

Broccoli I am very happy for you - both suits fit perfectly!

The ADEFA suit is 1934-1938 - the timeframe when it was denoting "Deutsch Arisch" instead of only "Deutsch" (as was the case 1933 and 1939, the year ADEFA was dissolved).

Of course I am particularly glad that you like the peak-lapel striped suit so much.
As I presented this suit on this thread before, I have no problem with taking credit for being the source of this beauty.

Thank you for the ADEFA-info! I had my thoughts around 34 and couple of years forward for this one. I am glad you want to be credited, your suit finding ability is outstanding, I do not even want to know how you found the striped one.

I can honestly say that is the best outfit I've seen here on the FL for some time. Absolutely spot on! Every detail, even down to the shape of the watch, is perfect for the outfit.

And yes, I'm sure we would all like to see more details of the suits.

What is the shirt you are wearing with the pin stripe suit? It has a very high collar stand.

Thank you very much! Although I don't think this is my best outfit with the suit, I liked it better when worn with a cream/khaki coloured soft collar shirt and a dark red tie. The watch is Swiss/Swedish and from the 1930s. I like it very much!

The shirt to the striped suit is just a normal Swedish shirt (with detachable/replaceable cuffs!), the collar is the "Arrow Gothic". I wear a size 14 and collars are over abundant in that size.
tumblr_ndnyyo37Yb1r9xcm5o1_1280.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Black DB suit of unknown origin, no labels. I bought it from victory-vintage in London via eBay. It looks continental to me. The shoulder is padded more continental-style, too; the chest has relatively little padding. The fabric is a twill weave that's hardly visible due to the finish, so the cloth probably counts as flannel. Only the wear at the edges fully reveals the weave. The cloth is rather lightweight, maybe 13oz.
The photos should show the rest.

Any ideas?

Edit:
The trousers came without braces buttons; I added the brown ones you see here.

AEYS1jP.jpg

1i1zV3Z.jpg

nJBM20n.jpg

HKTYxcK.jpg

3WbGtRy.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Nice cut and single-button DB arrangement.

It is certainly German. All the details are commonly found on German suits.
I'd date it as likely post-war (1946-1952), but it might be late-30's.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the info, Fastuni. I thought the same thing, that is could be both pre- or just post-WWII. I wonder though, how can we be sure it's not, say, French or Romanian? Was the inside pocket detailing, the trouser construction and the collar stitching as country-specific as that?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Well, one certainly can say that it is very typical of the German school of tailoring (also the trouser construction, the cut-in piped pockets and exterior elastic side-straps), which was largely followed in Eastern Europe.
Here I'd apply the law of probability. As most such suits come from Germany proper, I'd think it's much more likely to be German rather than Romanian, Czech or Lithuanian i.e.

French trousers were constructed usually differently. Pockets were placed in-seam and I have never seen exterior elastic bands outside of German tailoring.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Excellent suit. Are the trousers and cap vintage or repro?

The cap is a Cordova, the light grey flannels are an exact replica of some 1940s trousers by Luxire. The Dugdale 14oz flannel doesn't drape too well (it's too soft), but it's a decent enough odd trouser.

Metatron

One Too Many
The cap is a Cordova, the light grey flannels are an exact replica of some 1940s trousers by Luxire. The Dugdale 14oz flannel doesn't drape too well (it's too soft), but it's a decent enough odd trouser.

I think your trousers look pretty good, but you have confirmed my thoughts about the flannel on my own trousers (in my case the cheapest one available) it is a bit too soft to drape properly.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That suit looks very nice. It's a distinctive style. I think it probably is German, simply because it came from a British vendor and there have been loads of black German jackets available from London dealers in the last couple of years.

PS. I've got a pair of trousers coming in from Luxire in that Dugdale cloth. They were doing a special offer for $99, so I thought it was worth giving it a try.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
A German sportcoat from Selb (a Northern Bavarian town near the Czech border).
Late-40's to mid-50's. Interesting tweedy fabric and beautifully straight shoulders.
No vents of course. It is in excellent condition and a size 42 with 25.4 inches sleeves.
The waist is nipped more strongly than the photo suggests (the mannequin is one to two sizes smaller).

DSC_0159.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The top half of that jacket is lovely, the bottom half doesn't quite work. The wide spacing of the buttons and the low placement of the second button looks rather odd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot