Comfort of Tweed Suits

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Zachary, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Zachary

Zachary One of the Regulars

Dear Fellow Gentlemen,

First of all, happy summer to you all (for those of you who are lucky enough to call the northern hemisphere their habitat)!

I fancy a new suit. This time, it should be a tweed suit from Scotland. Not for me -- for my dear father, who is frantically searching a new Sunday suit in a country whose name doesn't matter, and where there's almost no gentlemen's apparel culture. Suits there are cheap and are looked upon themselves in this way with no doubt; they are all made of synthetic materials and have the place of their cataclysmal procreation in China.

The object of desire is a Lambswool Tweed Suit. Since no seller would reasonably tell me not to buy from him, I feel free to ask you, dear Gentlemen, about your opinion:

How does Lambswool Tweed perform on the areas of
    1) wrinkles and
    2) scratching?

Have a dapper mid-week!

Gentlemenous regards,
    Zachary

2. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

Regarding 2) scratching, I recommend that the trousers should be lined to the knee as that’s the area that any woollen trousers tickle

3. Edward

Edward Bartender

I would agree on half-lining the trousers. Beyond that, lambswool is very soft, pleasant to wear but if it's going to be worn often, definitely get an extra pair of trousers, as they will wear out at the crotch long before the jacket becomes unwearable. Otherwise, be wary of moths. Lambswool is moth-heaven.

4. Mathematicus

Mathematicus A-List Customer

You don't mention this, but warmth is an important factor to keep into consideration with tweed. Basically, almost anything made with a traditional-weight tweed fabric would be unsuitable for today's indoor use and would prove to be comfortable only as winter outerwear. Of course it depends on the region in which one lives but in my experience tweeds are not so versatile except the lighter versions, which however lack the body and drape typical of the material.

Scratchiness - it depends on the type of material and its finish but in general tweed IS scratchy. I second trousers' lining and I would make sure that also hips and crotch area are fully lined for the same reason specified above.

5. Peter Bowden

Peter Bowden A-List Customer

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019