Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Vintage GERMAN Suits

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Seems to me that many German tailors had a penchant for wide waistbands.

...and not many fly buttons. many of those recent trousers on ebay.uk appear to have only 3.
i wonder if some of those suits were made by the same tailor ?

hey look it's that wall again:

german20sDB.jpg

german20sDB02.jpg

1920s

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I really like this SB 3-piece chalk srtipe with peak lapels. Seems to have only two buttons in the fly if you don't include the top button on the waistband, which seems to be tapered a lot - it's much wider in the front than in the back.

Another thing that's getting my attention is the really high placement of the breast pocket one some of those jackets.

1930's-German-SB-Peak-Brown.jpg

Last edited:

Chrome

One of the Regulars
Now this is sinister thread :D so many dark suits... and more to come :p

I don't have single German suit (not sure about one thou) but most of mine are Finnish :D and i think those are much heavier cloth and even linings are thicker. To my apprentice eyes I think that makes them superior in wear (now I don't want to start which is better war) I just like to have robust cloth around me. That's why my summer wear consists US made suits and allaround suits are european.

I'll participate to this topic with pictures from home later, I can also can get date of manufacture from you also.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Oh, most of those German suits are actually pretty heavy, with a nice full lining to boot, thank you. I guess I'm on the safe side when I assume that Finnish suits tend to be on the darker end of the luma scale as well, eh? ;)

Last edited:

Chrome

One of the Regulars
Oh, most of those German suits are actually pretty heavy, with a nice full lining to boot, thank you. I guess I'm on the safe side when I assume that Finnish suits tend to be on the darker end of the luma scale as well, eh? ;)

Doub! again I thought faster than I did write :D what I ment is that Finnish suits like German/european suits are heavier compared to US made. I lost quite several words in my original post.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Last year I bought a nice straightforward, British-made chalk stripe suit from 1949. I'm sad to say that I had to return it as there were one or two rather quirky things about the pants, which the seller and I only really discovered once it had arrived here (the strangest thing I've ever seen). That suit really wore like iron!

Does anybody recognize the door in the background? ;)

1949-UK-Black-Pinstripe.jpg

Please tell us, what was so strange about the trousers?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Belgian. 1933.
Fully lined. High breast pocket placement. High inside pocket placement. Short skirt. Extremely heavy fabric with an interesting texture (see close-up).

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I'm afraid not. It's been reserved for a private sale already.

As they said: "Don't worry, it's not your size!".

Now that gave me a good laugh. I'm worried more about the possibilty that not a single suit like that in the whole wide world will ever be my size...

But it's a lovely suit, isn't it? *sigh*

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
...not that the current selection isn't impressive... it is; the amount of quality vintage suits on Britbay has gone up by about 95% overnight since this seller's arrival. but i'm waiting for the belted-backs before i fork over big money. ;)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
...not that the current selection isn't impressive... it is; the amount of quality vintage suits on Britbay has gone up by about 95% overnight since this seller's arrival. but i'm waiting for the belted-backs before i fork over big money. ;)

I believe the stuff they've put up on the 'Bay is mainly intended to introduce their business to a wider audience, with the main targeted audience still being clothing departments/film production companies. I'm afraid they prefer wholesale business over private sales anytime.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider