Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^ That would teach a bear a lesson. Looks solid!

Hi, I don't live in Bear country, but generally bears don't lay down quickly. I think I would tend towards the whole 12 gauge slug gun in bear country. I'm thinking at least 8 in the tube and 8 more in the pocket. I have the utmost respect for the .44 Remington Magnum and it's sons, but bears will be bears.

Later

Last edited:

Rathdown

Practically Family
+1

There isn't a guide in Alaska silly enough to depend on a revolver in bear country. Be advised.
+1

Although I don't live in bear country, per se, we do have bears trundle through our town on a regular basis, occasionally taking up residence in our garden for a day or two. Which is why (point of the post) I keep a 12-bore slug gun in the closet by the back door. Far more effective than any handgun, bar none.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
My newest toy

I just picked up a 1944 Inland M1 Carbine on Monday. It's a bit of a mixmaster, as the stock is an Underwood stock, the trigger guard is by Standard Products and it has an M2 slide. I haven't taken it apart to check makers the other components yet, but it's a typical arsenal rebuild by the looks of things. I wouldn't be surprised if the only Inland parts are the receiver and barrel.
Picture335.jpg

Picture336.jpg

Doublegun

Practically Family
A buddy of mine has an M1 Carbine from his dads service in the Korean war. It's a lot of fun to shoot and pretty accurate. Shooting off-hand I can keep a clip on a small paper plate at 100-yards. The velocity is so slow that I can hear the bullet hit the backstop after each shot. Always thought these carbines would make great truck-guns.

brother rat

New in Town
Smith and Wesson 38-44 Heavy Duty, Nickle with Factory Stags. 1952 or so, 12 shots ever fired from it. Was my dad's bootlegging companion.

CLShaeffer

New in Town
Wow. Haven't poked through the whole thread, yet, but some mighty nice pieces represented here.

My humble contributions - pictures taken for other sites so I haven't put together a nice setting for them:

Marlin 1894 chambered in 44 Magnum. More or less classic style and action with a nice modern cartridge, though I do wish Marlin was still making them with the classic slim forearm. 44 mag in a carbine is really sweet. The rail I added... is out of place and I might not do it again if I had it to do over, but it was the most inexpensive way to get the peep sight (and a darned good one, at that) and the possibility of mounting a scope for pig hunting. Fun gun to shoot.

Lever-SM.jpg

A Spanish CETME .308 in classic wood furniture. The first production rifle from German engineering after WWII (from a German expat who found work in France and Spain) and the direct descendant of Germany's ground breaking Stg 44 - the world's first "assault rifle" as it has come to be called. The history of it is fascinating and it is practical for me: I almost exclusively cast and reload my own ammunition and the CETME uses a roller delayed blowback system instead of a gas system. It is the same design that H&K licensed from CETME that the world now knows as the G3 and HK91. Also a fun gun, but then I've never met a boring one.

Cetme-Wood-SM.jpg

pompier

Familiar Face
Nice CETME

CLShaeffer, nice CETME ya got there. 30 years ago as a young and impressionable Jarhead I was stationed in Spain. We would qualify and fam/fire our weapons with Spanish Marines and on a couple of occasions I got to fire the CETME. Nice weapon and I preferred 7.62 Nato to 5.56mm. I can't complain about the M16A1 I was issued as it was accurate and always reliable. I was chagrined to learn that just prior to my arrival my unit had packed up M14 rifles in order to issue M16s. Oh well.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Here's a Mosin Nagant M91/30 Sniper I picked up last month.
Picture286.jpg
Very nice indeed. I need one for my collection.
I just snagged another today, (my fourth) on sale again so I couldn't resist. ;)
Got a nice 1930 Tula this time in excellent condition. I've had great luck at this store, having purchased sight unseen, a 1931, 1935, and now a 1930 all from Tula, and a somewhat roughly machined but still very nice 1942 round receiver model by Izhevsk.
All were imported by Century Arms, a company I can highly recommend.

Landman

One Too Many
Aim Surplus has some Mosin Nagant sniper rifles for sale right now. I don't own one so I can't tell you much about them but I have bought some other stuff from Aim and the transaction went well.

Monsignore

New in Town
A Spanish CETME .308 in classic wood furniture. The first production rifle from German engineering after WWII (from a German expat who found work in France and Spain) and the direct descendant of Germany's ground breaking Stg 44 - the world's first "assault rifle" as it has come to be called. The history of it is fascinating and it is practical for me: I almost exclusively cast and reload my own ammunition and the CETME uses a roller delayed blowback system instead of a gas system. It is the same design that H&K licensed from CETME that the world now knows as the G3 and HK91. Also a fun gun, but then I've never met a boring one.

Cetme-Wood-SM.jpg

Coño, un "chopo"!

A long, long time ago I wrote something about mine: CETME: In Memoriam, CETME for Dummies - Field Stripping the CETME C, CETME for Dummies - Field Assembling the CETME C

It seems it was just yesterday...

BigFitz

Practically Family
Smith and Wesson 38-44 Heavy Duty, Nickle with Factory Stags. 1952 or so, 12 shots ever fired from it. Was my dad's bootlegging companion.

Well hey now, you can't respond to a thread with this description and NO PICTURES! A nickel HD with factory stags?! Not something we see everyday and you're keeping it from us!:)

Seriously, would love to see a a nickel HD. 4" barrel?

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I cannot tell you how bad I want a Mosin Sniper. Finding one here would be like finding the Holy Grail.
I just had the Mosin sniper at our club's CMP Vintage Sniper Rifle match today, and my partner and I were out-shot by some (but not all) of other teams using M1903A4s and the sole Enfield No.4 Mk1 (T). We did, however post the best score of those shooting Mosin Sniper rifles. We were using PPU Match ammo, which this rifle really seems to like better than the standard military surplus ball ammo.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I just had the Mosin sniper at our club's CMP Vintage Sniper Rifle match today, and my partner and I were out-shot by some (but not all) of other teams using M1903A4s and the sole Enfield No.4 Mk1 (T). We did, however post the best score of those shooting Mosin Sniper rifles. We were using PPU Match ammo, which this rifle really seems to like better than the standard military surplus ball ammo.

Awesome. The only one I'd probably want MORE than a Mosin sniper would be an Enfield No.4Mk1 (T). SO awesome.

One of the best sniper rifles ever made in that era was the Enfield P14 sniper. That rifle is accurate as hell. I have an infantry version and it's still a tack driver despite being almost a hundred years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran