Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

MikePotts

Practically Family
It is a Ruger Scout rifle chambered in .308. The detachable mag and bottom metal are Accuracy International clones.

Correct, they call it the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, other size magazines are available. Mine weighs in at 7lbs. 5oz. sans magazine, very nice trigger too. About $850 or so on the street.

andymckinnon

New in Town
I carry my KelTec pf9...perfect conceal gun....but November 1st, i won't have to worry about hiding my gun...Oklahoma goes open carry to those who have a conceal carry permit.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Have you decided on optics yet?

MP

I tried the basic rig with a B Square mount and picked up an inexpensive BSA pistol scope to go on it. The surprise was how good a scope it was! When it eventually goes belly up, i will either put a Leupold or Nikon on it, but for right now the little BSA will stay on it.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?un8fiv3ad36cppa

This was the initial set up.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These "Scout Scopes": http://www.midwayusa.com/product/76...ut-rifle-scope-2-7x-32mm-2-plex-reticle-matte

get almost universal approval and the price is certainly right!, I may go that route if I can't find a decent used Leupold on Ebay..

MP

Hi Mike

Have you shot with a Scout scope? I'd sure do that before I bought one. I own a 3 or 4 by 12x pistol scope and I can't do much with it. I have trouble with the long eye relief. I'd DEFINITELY try the setup before you buy it. Based on my experiences with pistol scopes, I'm not 100% sure that using a long eye relief scope is something you can adjust yourself to.

Just my $0.10 since I'm an NRA Rifle Coach

MikePotts

Practically Family
thanks 1961, you have a very valid point. I was a competitive shotgun shooter before I ever picked up a rifle, so I'm used to the 'both eyes open thing', but I shot it the last night with just the ghost ring set up that it comes with and was amazed how well I did. I'll give it a lot of thought - maybe borrow one first!

MP

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
thanks 1961, you have a very valid point. I was a competitive shotgun shooter before I ever picked up a rifle, so I'm used to the 'both eyes open thing', but I shot it the last night with just the ghost ring set up that it comes with and was amazed how well I did. I'll give it a lot of thought - maybe borrow one first!

MP

Hi

I use the ghost ring / front and back aperture sights in Air Rifle, those are great. I have NEVER gotten used to the scope being a foot and a half in front of me. You might also try a dot sight on top of the ghost rings. I think you can get a 4x or so dot. I shoot NRA Conventional Pistol most of the time now, and I shoot that with iron sights.

Later

jkingrph

Practically Family
Hi Mike

Have you shot with a Scout scope? I'd sure do that before I bought one. I own a 3 or 4 by 12x pistol scope and I can't do much with it. I have trouble with the long eye relief. I'd DEFINITELY try the setup before you buy it. Based on my experiences with pistol scopes, I'm not 100% sure that using a long eye relief scope is something you can adjust yourself to.

Just my $0.10 since I'm an NRA Rifle Coach

I'm a bit late to this discussion. I have a few Ruger #1 rifles, two tropical models, a .375H&H and .458 Win Mag. The .375 tends to recoil so fast I found myself dodging a regular scope, so I installed a Leupold scout scope. It's a fixed 2.5 power scope and is perfect. It sits far enough forward in the factory rings that I now have no problem. I liked the setup so well I installed on on my little #1a light rifle in 7x57. I find them quick and easy to shoot with both eyes open.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Scout scopes need to be low power so that when looking through it with both eyes open the shooter can aquire the target rapidly, aim quickly and fire rapidly. I would never use anything more powerful than 2.5x for that type of shooting. It's important that the shooter be able to see clearly through the scope with both eyes open.

TomS

One Too Many
Hi Folks:
Here are some pics of my Civil War vintage Spencer carbine. It was in my Uncle's attic, propped-up between the rafters; I found it after he passed. It is serial number 1014. I have the records for it from the Springfeild Armory, which indicate it was with the Pennsylvania Volunteers. The hammer is apparently a replacement, as the *bob* is not original...or so I've been told.
Best,
Tom
IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Very cool! Appears to be in good shape too. Only about 200,000 were ever made, with quite a few ending up in France and used in The Franco-Prussian War, sold as surplus by the U.S.
Here is a video of a Spencer in action. [video=youtube;dGr1coWIcww]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGr1coWIcww&feature=related[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner