Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Carlo

New in Town
1942 Lahti made by Husqvarna Vapenfabrik.
husqvarna-lahti2.jpg

Rathdown

Practically Family
1942 Lahti made by Husqvarna Vapenfabrik.
husqvarna-lahti2.jpg
When I was at G&A Magazine back in the '70s four of us bought Lahti's at the SHOT Show one year. Rugged, accurate, comfortable to shoot, and with great ergonomics it was, save for the magazine release, quite possibly the best 9mm pistol of the WWII era.

Carlo

New in Town
When I was at G&A Magazine back in the '70s four of us bought Lahti's at the SHOT Show one year. Rugged, accurate, comfortable to shoot, and with great ergonomics it was, save for the magazine release, quite possibly the best 9mm pistol of the WWII era.
Comfortable?
I've only shot a couple of magazines full through mine. The upper rear edge of the left-hand grip next to the magazine release tended to bite the web of my thumb with each shot. It didn't recoil very hard, but the pressure applied at that small point made it less than comfortable to shoot. Might be better wearing gloves, as you would while using it in Finland.
Otherwise, it's a very well-designed pistol, and as rugged as they come.

What was your capacity at G&A? I was an avid reader of that magazine in those days. If memory serves, Elmer Keith was still writing articles for them at that time.

jkingrph

Practically Family
1942 Swedish Mauser, also made by Husqvarna Vapenfabrik.

husqvarna-mauser2.jpg

One of my favorite rifles and calibers. I have six, including one that was made in 1898, but my prize is one made by Mauser Oberndorf in 1900 with a two digit serial number. It has been arsenal shortened to their short rifle configuration. The others were all made before 1917 with one having an elm stock,

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I used to have an M96 in 9.3x57 that had been sporterized. I had it rechambed for 9.3x62. Talk about a pocket rocket? Man! And handle? Whoever designed the stock on that bad boy must have done an apprenticeship in a London gun shop because it was the slickest, sweetest handling rifle I ever owned. It's just that I already had three dangerous game rifles, all bigger than that one so when a friend of mine offered me a profit, I sold it. Poor guy probably never managed to get elk hunting with it because he came down with both Hepatitis C and prostate cancer. I kind of wonder whatever happened to the gun . . .

If another one like it shows up on auction, I may get it. Couldn't beat it for moose.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Comfortable?
I've only shot a couple of magazines full through mine. The upper rear edge of the left-hand grip next to the magazine release tended to bite the web of my thumb with each shot. It didn't recoil very hard, but the pressure applied at that small point made it less than comfortable to shoot. Might be better wearing gloves, as you would while using it in Finland.
Otherwise, it's a very well-designed pistol, and as rugged as they come.

What was your capacity at G&A? I was an avid reader of that magazine in those days. If memory serves, Elmer Keith was still writing articles for them at that time.
I was the Associate Editor of the magazine, and focused most of my staff writing on handguns. I edited all of Jeff Cooper's copy, while Howard French (the Editor) looked after Elmer Keith. For a firearms enthusiast the 1970s was a golden era as all of the greats: Keith, Skelton, Jordan, Cooper, Askins, Capstick, etc. were still around. These guys were all fact, no brag shootists. It was a privilege to get to know them, talk with them, listen to them, and sometimes shoot with them.

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Very true. We need to learn all we can from the legends while they are still about to learn from. That said, new Golden Era content:

kraganshells_zps53e314bd.jpg

The ammo box predates 1954 and best I can tell is immediate postwar.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Dave, not only do I have a soft spot in my heart for Krags, your sporter looks to have nice wood, and the checkering-- wow.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Here is a quick shot of my latest little "plinker".
IMG_1095_zps24896f96.jpg

Winchester Model 1904, chamber is .22 short, long and extra-long. Manufacture date somewhere between 1914 and 1924, it's a bit hard to tell for sure since they didn't serial number them. The shipping crate matches.
If anyone has any more details to help narrow it down a bit more, I'd appreciate the info.

Brian

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I have an old Krag that was chromed as a parade piece. I'm sure the breech end of the barrel is corroded beyond repair from all the black powder blanks my g'father shot though it while on the drill team. I've got a trapdoor Springfield that's the same way. I guess I really need to wood soap the stocks and nickel polish the metal work and give them a coat of clear lacquer. Don't have a fireplace to hang them over, even though that would be the best use. Would be nice to have a sporterized Krag, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21