Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Here is my latest, a Remington slide action model 760 in 30-06, with a Redfield scope. I took it as trade for a Springer front end for a chopper, that was just laying around collecting dust.
IMG_4525_zpsc63050cf.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Another Martini

I've been looking around for a BSA Martini in .22LR, and came up with one at a gun show a couple weekends ago. It's a BSA Model 15 Centurian, made between 1936 and 1939. The price was right and that's most likely because someone previously had been quite rude to the wood, cutting crude grooves in both the fore end and buttstock.
I presently have the stock off the rifle and I'm working on filling the grooves and refinishing. So far the fore end is coming along nicely, but the buttstock is lagging behind. I hit a snag with the buttstock, as someone (presumably the same guy who cut the grooves) decided to add some weight to the buttstock by filling the drawbolt hole with a combination of copper wire and concrete. It took a while to remove that "plug" so I could get to the drawbolt and remove the buttstock.
Anyway, here's a photo of the way it was when I bought it. I'll post an updated photo after I finish the stock work.
645514c6-ef93-4bc2-b3da-bb98dd9a9ef5.jpg

Oldsarge

One Too Many
That is so sad! Fortunately the old girl now has a new owner who will treat her with proper respect. I love those small martinis. I have a match model that I'm going to convert to an indoor schuetzen gun and I expect to be importing a few more within the next months. They are such fun . . .

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Well, after a week and a half here is the result. It's still a bit of a "Frankenstock", as the filler absorbed the stain at a different rate than the rest of the wood. Plus the original finish at both ends of the fore end went too deep to be completely removed without removing too much wood. At least the grooves are now filled and the stock is smooth. The important thing is that it now feels good in my hands. Those crudely-cut grooves just didn't feel right to me. I may still do some more work on it if I can find a nice stain that will cover nicely. All new wood is also not out of the question.
1e4b6e3a-0f86-491a-bef1-15a38909dc6f.jpg

zxing

New in Town
Here's my one and only vintage firearm: a 1942 production Walther PP in .22 LR. The gentleman who I bought it from says he bought it from an old German man who escaped from Germany right after World War 2 and smuggled the pistol out in a boot. He had some other stuff from the man on display, including some sort of firefighter or paramilitary helmet and a large assortment of badges. This leads me to believe that the original owner of my pistol was some sort of policeman and that the pistol was either his personal sidearm or a trainer. Either way, it is a rare and extremely collectible piece in beautiful condition. It shoots like a dream and I am very grateful to own it.

Picture4_zps16b88c75.jpg

Picture3_zpsfa421e0b.jpg

rjb1

Practically Family
Find someone who's an expert on German pistols and their markings and they may be able to "translate" any such stampings on your pistol. The Germans were fanatics (no kidding) about marking things, and they had special letters and symbols for such arcane things as police, firefighters, postmen, and other such. Might find out some good information.

zxing

New in Town
Ahhh thanks for the advice. I have already pursued that route but since my gun is a commercial version, it is devoid of any government or military markings. The only markings are the serial number and the eagle over N proof marks, which indicates it was produced under Nazi occupation. They only made 4000 or so of these .22 LR PPs during the war though, and few records exist of their use. It is believed that most have some sort of government or military connection, as many were used as trainers or were purchased as sidearms by officers. Not that significant historically, but interesting nonetheless. However, there is one especially sinister tale tied to these pistols. There is strong evidence that some have been found in concentration camps by American soldiers. One source lists two of these .22 LR PPs as being found in Dachau. I shutter to think of what they were used for. However, that would explain why Walther would produce these decidedly non-military pistols during a time of great strain on the German industrial capacity.

Rathdown

Practically Family
I spoke to a friend who is something of a Walther expert, and he suggested that these guns were made up during the war from existing stocks of pre-war parts. He didn't attach much credence to the "concentration camp" story, and said that (subject to more research) he believes that they were probably bought by individuals who were members of shooting clubs, etc.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Walther now has a factory in Ft. Smith, Arkansas and via their on-line store have a really spectacular, two-volume book set on the history of the company and it's products.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
My latest

On March 30, I attended a firearms auction that had a number of rifles I was interested in. I was hoping to come home with one or two of them. Bidding was spirited, to say the least, and the three rifles on my "A" list all went home with other bidders. There were a couple of "B" list rifles that held promise in case I didn't get an "A" list rifle. My "A" and "B" lists were based on condition. After holding off on a "B" list Rock Island M1903 with a beat up "Scant" stock because of an "A" list rifle coming up next (and I didn't get), I bid on a Savage-built Enfield No.4 Mk.I* that was "U.S. Property" marked. It was not all that pretty, with the front sight, both sling swivels and the magazine missing. It also had the front band on upside-down, and the bore was choked with crud. Well, that rifle came home with me and after sourcing the front sight and sling swivels from Sarco I sat down and cleaned it up. It cleaned up pretty nicely, and the bore turned out to be pristine. It's temporarily wearing a magazine from an Enfield No.1 Mk.III (SMLE) until the Savage-made No.4 magazine I won on eBay arrives. I also temporarily have it wearing a Greek M1 sling until I place an order with Sarco or IMA for a correct Enfield sling.
b09a2c00-6f88-4262-9bbd-723c2e6b3005.jpg

vedearduff

New in Town
'03 Springfield Sporter.

Hello Gang.

I recently traded for this nice '03 Springfield Sporter. It has a hooded Lyman front sight and a Redfield aperture rear. The Redfield has 1/4 minute adjustments. The stripper clip guide is intact and I managed to locate a box of 40 stripper clips. My intention for the rifle is to use it as a P-Scout, but it will also be used for any long range side matches if I'm able to generate in interest is the AZSA in central Indiana.

Here are a couple photos.
1903-Scout-1-Web_zps259f9a8b.jpg

1903-Scout-2-Web_zps28b5ee2a.jpg

Doublegun

Practically Family
Hello Gang.

I recently traded for this nice '03 Springfield Sporter. It has a hooded Lyman front sight and a Redfield aperture rear. The Redfield has 1/4 minute adjustments. The stripper clip guide is intact and I managed to locate a box of 40 stripper clips. My intention for the rifle is to use it as a P-Scout, but it will also be used for any long range side matches if I'm able to generate in interest is the AZSA in central Indiana.

Here are a couple photos.
1903-Scout-1-Web_zps259f9a8b.jpg

1903-Scout-2-Web_zps28b5ee2a.jpg

Very nice acquisition. I love shooting sporterized 1903's. Where are you in central Indiana? I shoot at the Farmland Conservation Club in Randolph County. Usually have my Sedgley or my Griffin & Howe with me.

vedearduff

New in Town
I'm in the Muncie area. I shoot at Wilbur Wright (near New Castle) and at the Monroe County Conservation Club.

In addition to the '03, you may see me with one (or more) of these.
Rossi-1892-1-Web_zps61197c7e.jpg

Uberti7344-402.jpg

SquirrelRifle.jpg

Longrifle.jpg

Bess.jpg

And we cannot forget this.
Thompson-03.jpg

Doublegun

Practically Family
Damn, that's a nice Springfield. There's just something so completely Golden Age about a sporterized Springy with peep sights. It makes me want to go hunting wearing a campaign hat and knee-high boots.

Exactly. Took my Sedgley (30-06 with a Lyman 48 peep) out back last week. Standing without a rest, in a cold stiff wind, I put three shots 1" high at 40-yards and I could cover the group with a quarter. I'm 53 and I wear tri-focals; anyone think they could do better with a $1,500 Swarovski?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko