Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

freakazoid

Familiar Face
Here is my Enfield No4Mk1*
DSC05939_zps8a7a7eba.jpg

DSC05941_zpsf5e586ae.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
That's a nice Enfield. Like mine, I see that yours is a Savage-built example but it looks like yours went through the post-war rebuild program. Tell-tale signs are the Beech stock and the flip sight. Does yours have the brass butt plate or does it retain the original alloy butt plate? Also, is your barrel a 2-groove barrel?
Mine didn't go through the post-war rebuild program so it still retains the micrometer rear sight, walnut stock, two-groove barrel and alloy butt plate.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, Kirk. Was there an "SS" model? I ask because this is on the butt. I hope it has nothing to do with that infamous "SS" from WWII.

e07dff9b-0ca7-4103-af40-17e2263bf435_zps7cce7408.jpg

AF

Models SS & SIS

In 1957, in lockstep with the basic A/B series, an improved safety variant of both calibers was introduced. This version remained in production alongside the basic model S and SI until 1983. All safety variants are denoted with an S suffix (following the caliber suffix in the case of the .32 gun, the SIS).

These weapons should all have a drop safety as well as a magazine safety, that makes the gun incapable of firing when the magazine is removed.
http://star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/s/index.shtml

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Bad phone photos of my No 1 Mk 3 1948 GRI and 1907 Wilkinson bayonet. The sling is something I put on her. A bit scared and marred, she still shoots well. Recoils the safety on from time to time, but maybe that isn't a bad fault for an old warrior that's only used for target practice.

4937b9ce-5da9-4619-921f-c79229338066_zpsda03d473.jpg

3de41473-2f54-4f1f-90da-f97fcd8ff391_zpsd6f0e2db.jpg

AF

freakazoid

Familiar Face
That's a nice Enfield. Like mine, I see that yours is a Savage-built example but it looks like yours went through the post-war rebuild program. Tell-tale signs are the Beech stock and the flip sight. Does yours have the brass butt plate or does it retain the original alloy butt plate? Also, is your barrel a 2-groove barrel?
Mine didn't go through the post-war rebuild program so it still retains the micrometer rear sight, walnut stock, two-groove barrel and alloy butt plate.

It has two grooves and the butt plate is some greyish color, and under the flap for the cleaning kit is stamped in a circle "LCO" with an S or 5 below it. Does this mean anything?

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
my No.4 mk.1. No *, No FTR. Fazakeley made, 1941.
I know the forend should be replaced but they've been together for 70 odd years and who am I to split them up?

When I refinished the the wood there was a stain on top just before the breech which came out purple and wouldn't be moved... Organic.

I wish it could talk to me.

4.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
It has two grooves and the butt plate is some greyish color, and under the flap for the cleaning kit is stamped in a circle "LCO" with an S or 5 below it. Does this mean anything?

That is an "S", denoting Savage as the manufacturer. That grey butt plate is the original alloy plate. Many were changed to brass during the post war rebuild program.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I just picked up this Springfield Model 1873 Trapdoor at an auction yesterday. The price was reasonable enough at $350, but I do have to replace the barrel as it is shot out and badly pitted. Fortunately I located a barrel in very nice condition and ordered it. I should have the new barrel by the end of the week.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I have one that my grandfather carried on parade when he was in the Elks drill team. It's nickle plated and the bore is absolutely dead. I'm giving some thought to pulling the action and rebarreling and restocking it into a classic "Gemmer", a Hawken style sporter. Phil Spangenberger says there's a guy up in Montana who makes beautiful Gemmers. I'm going to get his phone number and do some exploring. It would be such a great overall N. American gun. I wouldn't want to try it on Kodiak or Polar bears but it would handle anything else quite handily.

About 15 years ago a friend of mine during a discussion of civil war muskets said that he had one in his closet that had been his Grandfather's..and he probably should just sell it. I said that I might be interested. When he retrieved it from the closet it was really a 1873 trap door in excellent condition. No firing pin,though. He asked $100 for it. I bought it and it now hangs on my wall. Clean shiny bore. I should probably look for a firing pin or have one made.
HD

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
About 15 years ago a friend of mine during a discussion of civil war muskets said that he had one in his closet that had been his Grandfather's..and he probably should just sell it. I said that I might be interested. When he retrieved it from the closet it was really a 1873 trap door in excellent condition. No firing pin,though. He asked $100 for it. I bought it and it now hangs on my wall. Clean shiny bore. I should probably look for a firing pin or have one made.
HD

Wasn't the 1873 what Custer's troops used? Chambered in 45-70 Government?

AF

rjb1

Practically Family
Custer's troops used the 1873 trapdoor carbine, not the long rifle. Infantry troops used the full-length rifle. Was the $100 trapdoor a rifle or a carbine? A great deal in any case, but even more so if it was a carbine.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
HD

Thats how I got my 1870 Trapdoor carbine for $100. Since the lock plate is dated 1863, he thought it was obviously a Civil War firearm! I told him the story of the how that came to be, he was disappointed, and sold it to me.

Custer's troops used the 1873 trapdoor carbine, not the long rifle. Infantry troops used the full-length rifle. Was the $100 trapdoor a rifle or a carbine? A great deal in any case, but even more so if it was a carbine.

Mine is the carbine. I think the barrel measures around 22-23"..if I remember correctly.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred