Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

freakazoid

Familiar Face
Shotgun called a Sjögren. The first inertia recoil shotgun from 1909, and some think it actually beat the Browning Auto-5, patent wise or to market, as the first semi-auto shotgun. Just got in to the not so local gun store. Ordered it from a private seller and had it shipped in. Finished the paperwork earlier today and now I have the joy of waiting on the California mandatory 10 day waiting period before I get to actually take possession of it., because otherwise I would totally go out on a shooting spree with my antique. It shoots 12 gauge, 2 1/2" shells, had to order in a box of 250 rounds from rstshells.com. Here is an interesting video of it where I first learned about it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XznhQ35AxCQ Shooting video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2C5eKkPl_k

IMAG0886_BURST002_COVER_zps7c0f659d.jpg

IMAG0887_zps94361cc9.jpg

IMAG0888_zps7adc6faa.jpg

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Shotgun called a Sjögren. The first inertia recoil shotgun from 1909, and some think it actually beat the Browning Auto-5, patent wise or to market, as the first semi-auto shotgun. Just got in to the not so local gun store. Ordered it from a private seller and had it shipped in. Finished the paperwork earlier today and now I have the joy of waiting on the California mandatory 10 day waiting period before I get to actually take possession of it., because otherwise I would totally go out on a shooting spree with my antique. It shoots 12 gauge, 2 1/2" shells, had to order in a box of 250 rounds from rstshells.com. Here is an interesting video of it where I first learned about it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XznhQ35AxCQ Shooting video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2C5eKkPl_k

IMAG0886_BURST002_COVER_zps7c0f659d.jpg

IMAG0887_zps94361cc9.jpg

IMAG0888_zps7adc6faa.jpg

Wow, that looks like a very interesting shotgun. You will have to let us know how it shoots when you finally get to pick it up. BTW, welcome to the Lounge.

Kirk H.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Man, that is one strange looking shotgun. But it seems to work and beauty is as beauty does, they say. Nice find. If you're in the southern half of the state, give me a PM and we'll go break a clay or two.

Renault

One Too Many
Howdy all! Hopefully I've gotton all my hi-tech problems solved (once again) and can visit again!

My 1888 Trapdoor. The ramrod bayonet model. The trapdoor actually saws the majority of it real combat use during the war with Spain and the Phillipine campaign. Many NG and state units were falling out in formation with them when activated in 1917!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Howdy all! Hopefully I've gotton all my hi-tech problems solved (once again) and can visit again!

My 1888 Trapdoor. The ramrod bayonet model. The trapdoor actually saws the majority of it real combat use during the war with Spain and the Phillipine campaign. Many NG and state units were falling out in formation with them when activated in 1917!

Nice looking Trapdoor!
I'm just sitting here looking at mine next to one of my Snider Enfields (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...s-your-Guns!&p=1747197&viewfull=1#post1747197 ), and it's interesting to see the ways the US and Britain adapted muzzle loading rifles to fire center-fire cartridges. The Trapdoor was certainly the more elegant looking solution.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Just about every country around converted their old muzzleloaders in some for or fashion to a cartridge shooter! Btw, did you know Snider was from New York!!

Yes, Jacob Snider was a jeweler (and mechanical engineer) from New York.
In addition to my Sniders and Trapdoor, I also have a French Tabatiere that was converted into a "Zulu" shotgun (marked "Hunter") in Belgium by Fabrique D'Armes Reunies.

jkingrph

Practically Family
One of my most fun guns is an 1869 Swiss Vetterli. It's a bolt action repeater, holds 13-14 shots in a tubular magazine and has a lifter mechanism which apparently was copied somewhat from the Henry or early Winchester lever actions. It shot a 10.4x something (metric) bottleneck rimfire cartridge. Mine is conveted to handle centerfire ammo. I make cases from either .348 Win brass or 8mm Lebel by cutting off, expanding, sizing loading and then eventually fireforming. I do have a proper bullet mold for it but can load bullets designed for 44 special and 44 mag cartridges easily. I was lucky when I found this one, the barrel is perfect, no pits or clouding, considering that it is for a black powder cartridge, and the age. It actually looks better than some new guns.

One of my most fun guns is an 1869 Swiss Vetterli. It's a bolt action repeater, holds 13-14 shots in a tubular magazine and has a lifter mechanism which apparently was copied somewhat from the Henry or early Winchester lever actions. It shot a 10.4x something (metric) bottleneck rimfire cartridge. Mine is conveted to handle centerfire ammo. I make cases from either .348 Win brass or 8mm Lebel by cutting off, expanding, sizing loading and then eventually fireforming. I do have a proper bullet mold for it but can load bullets designed for 44 special and 44 mag cartridges easily. I was lucky when I found this one, the barrel is perfect, no pits or clouding, considering that it is for a black powder cartridge, and the age. It actually looks better than some new guns.

I'd like to see that if you have a photo.
HD

koz5614

New in Town
Great thread!
How about a LA County Sheriff's Remington 81 "Special Police" rifle from 1942?

Or a Colt Official Police issued to the NJ State Police in 1931?

koz5614

New in Town
You could get them in .30 or .35 Rem. This one is in .35 Remington. Here's a Remington Police Catalog from around 1939.

freakazoid

Familiar Face
Interesting. For some reason I had always thought that the "police" versions with the removable and extended magazine were custom jobs. Also, that catalog is really cool looks to be in really good shape.

Renault

One Too Many
Interesting. For some reason I had always thought that the "police" versions with the removable and extended magazine were custom jobs. Also, that catalog is really cool looks to be in really good shape.

Kreiger did make aftermarket extended magazines for the models 8 and 81.

Very nice 81 koz! I've had a request out to several of our gun show retailers to keep a clear eye out for a nice model 8 in 35 cal.
I remember back about 1982 we got in about 200 Colt Official Police's from one of the wholesalers. Believe they were turned in Pennsylvania HP guns! Got one for my little sis. She still has it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo