Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

rjb1

Practically Family
VERY nice guns - both of them. Those are real "Golden Era" guns. Post more if you have them.
My regular Mod 81 (.35 Rem) is nice, but yours is a lot nicer. I have been going to gun shows for several decades but have only seen two of the police-types for sale, and they were both owned by the same person. (and not cheap)

If you reload, one fun thing you can do is load up a few rounds using .357 Magnum 125 gr JHP pistol bullets. (Modern manuals don't list loadings for such, but if you dig through the old manuals you can find loading data.)
At well over twice the velocity for which they are designed to expand, they cause *major* disruption of cabbages and watermelons. Put a cabbage on a stump or old 5-gallon bucket and when you hit it with with one of those 125 gr bullets you get a sphere of flying cabbage fragments about 20 feet in diameter. (Looks like a Star-Wars computer-graphic of a planet blowing up.)
One further interesting aspect of shooting those is that the recoil momentum is just enough to work the action and the fired brass is deposited right on the magazine follower. You don't even have to chase the brass.

Renault

One Too Many
"One further interesting aspect of shooting those is that the recoil momentum is just enough to work the action and the fired brass is deposited right on the magazine follower. You don't even have to chase the brass."

LOL! My old 81, .35 Rem, (a cherry beast I bought back in about 1974 that has long since gone the way of the Dodo), would put the empties right in the top of the crown of my hat!!!! Young son still has an 81 in .300 Savage. He loves that thing! They are such cool rifles. I currently have a completely clapped out Remington "self loading rifle" (what they called the 8 in its first year of production), setting on my bench. I think it's going home with me and placed in an honored spot on the wall of the Elkhorn lodge aka "man cave".

koz5614

New in Town
Renault- The brass from my 81 tags me right in the forehead, HARD. This is a great forum, and I have been a long time lurker. I'm partial to older firearms, so I finally decided to post a few of mine. My wife just got me the MGM "Crime Does Not Pay" series, and it has whet my appetite for vintage pocket pistols:

Colt 1908 , .25ACP

Renault

One Too Many
Got in a big box of assorted parts from a customer last week. Rummaging thru I found a Lyman # 57 SME in the bottom. Well, last Friday I chucked up the receiver in the end mill and stuck I to this old oberndorf sporter that hangs out in one of my safes. Now I gotta get to the range.

Renault- The brass from my 81 tags me right in the forehead, HARD. This is a great forum, and I have been a long time lurker. I'm partial to older firearms, so I finally decided to post a few of mine. My wife just got me the MGM "Crime Does Not Pay" series, and it has whet my appetite for vintage pocket pistols:
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/koz5614/DSCN1048.jpg[/IMG
Colt 1908 , .25ACP[/QUOTE]

Hi Koz5614

Wow, you have been lurking, only 4 post since 2011. Well neighbor, let me wish you a hardy welcome and let me say, that Colt is one fine pocket piece.. A Beauty!
Thank you for finally sharing.
Best regards.
CCJ

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Got in a big box of assorted parts from a customer last week. Rummaging thru I found a Lyman # 57 SME in the bottom. Well, last Friday I chucked up the receiver in the end mill and stuck I to this old oberndorf sporter that hangs out in one of my safes. Now I gotta get to the range.

Oh, glorious! I'd really appreciate it if you would post that lovely thing in the Gun Room forum in The Snuggery . . . for the love of old guns, you know.

Levallois

Practically Family
Always loved the Model 8 and 81, especially the police guns - very rare and spendy. That's a beaut! Have a regular model 8 in 30 Remington. Also, loved the Winchester 1907s of the same era.

Lebmanvsstock1907.jpg

Great thread!
How about a LA County Sheriff's Remington 81 "Special Police" rifle from 1942?

Renault

One Too Many
Koz, you like them police guns! Nice Reising!

Either one of you fellas ever take one of those Winchester 1907's apart??? :) Have fun with that recoil spring!

Sarge, when I get a chance I'll try to get over to your blog with a pic. Heck I've still gotta get around to posting my meagre pile of Winnie model 12 pics for Deacon!! Passed on a 16 gauge last week. Would have made a heck of a quail getter, but I just didn't like the two hairline crackes in the wrist. Oh yeah, I can fix 'em. Buy why she'll out the cash for such a common piece then havta do repair work on it!

Levallois

Practically Family
Was told under no circumstances to take the 07s apart. My Lebman was the first one made since the 1930s that wasn't in the public enemies movie - my idea - my research on how one should look and the guy that did it to my specs started to make them to sell. Capitalism at work. Cool concept but longer barrel and not full auto like the real Lebmans. Tucson PD had two of them on display from when they caught Johnnie D that were used as models.

I wish I could find a Reising model 60 for a reasonable price . I find them to be more pleasing to the eye than the model 50. I have a model 50 full auto and it's a blast to shoot - literally - but you can go through 500 rounds of 45acp in a blink.

Renault

One Too Many
LOL! Advice well heeded!! Re-assembly of the 1907 is not for the faint of heart!
Another common issue with the rifle is split or cracked forearms due to the thiness of the wood in its make-up.
You have an awesome piece!!!

Last edited:

KilroyCD

One Too Many

Colt 1908 , .25ACP

Not quite as nice as yours, here's mine:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Koz, you like them police guns! Nice Reising!

Either one of you fellas ever take one of those Winchester 1907's apart??? :) Have fun with that recoil spring!

Sarge, when I get a chance I'll try to get over to your blog with a pic. Heck I've still gotta get around to posting my meagre pile of Winnie model 12 pics for Deacon!! Passed on a 16 gauge last week. Would have made a heck of a quail getter, but I just didn't like the two hairline crackes in the wrist. Oh yeah, I can fix 'em. Buy why she'll out the cash for such a common piece then havta do repair work on it!

Common, yes. But no repeating shotgun ever made approaches the grace and handling of the M12. Even so eminent a gun writer as Gough Thomas thought so.

Doublegun

Practically Family
There is a 28b, Lang & Hussey, Imperial Sidelock Ejector, listed on GunsInternational that supposedly belonged to Bing Crosby. Looking at the pictures, I am sure the gun has seen a great deal of hard use and was at one point in pretty rough shape before being completely restored. One set of barrels is WAY too thin to shoot but could be sleeved for $2k and even with an ask price of $18.5K, the gun is not unreasonably priced (assuming the inside of the action is clean). Not inexpensive, but it may be a relatively good deal. Good luck finding another 28b London made sidelock. If it were a Boss or Purdy in that condition it would be a $40k-$50k gun.

Doublegun

Practically Family
The 28 b is a wonderful gauge for quail, woodcock and grouse and it's very impressive on a skeet field. I'd much rather have a 28 than a 20. Hussey made spectacular guns and I am lucky to own two HJ "Imperial" Sidelock Ejectors. Perhaps the best value in English guns, ever.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I just picked up a Ranger 101.21 (same as the Springfield 87M) at a gun show today. I've been trying to do a little research on this rifle, called "the .22 cal. M1 Trainer", but have found little. What I have found is the Springfield 87M was presented to the Army in 1940 as a trainer for the M1 Garand but not adopted. Apparently only 300 were built. It went into production for sale through Sears before the war as the Ranger 101.13, 101.16 and 101.21. What the differences were I don't know but they may have been related to the sights. What I'm wondering is whether the 300 gun total included Ranger production or if that was only the Springfield-marked examples.
I snapped a photo inside where the light wasn't the best, but I plan to get it out in the daylight for better photos soon.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The 28 b is a wonderful gauge for quail, woodcock and grouse and it's very impressive on a skeet field. I'd much rather have a 28 than a 20. Hussey made spectacular guns and I am lucky to own two HJ "Imperial" Sidelock Ejectors. Perhaps the best value in English guns, ever.

Hi

I've never fired a 28 gauge and they may be fun to shoot, but if memory serves, 28 gauge shells cost the most because they're not that common.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner