Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

SurfGent

Suspended
Lol good one Mike
Sure you do :p

P1010760%20-%20Copy_zpsj8shvhfl.jpg

Oldsarge

One Too Many
As I recall it takes about 500 to go up to the next level. Having a zillion opinions on everything that was no problem for me. Finding something valuable/useful/intelligent, now, can be a challenge.

The Czechs before WWII were rated at least as high as the Germans when it came to precision machinery. Under the Communists that faltered badly. Today they're back up there. My Big Killer is a Brno 602 double square bridge magnum mauser action. It's built like a tank and I have no problem trusting it when things go badly south.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Okay guys, I have a question for you. I have a very good shooting Argentine 1911 with heavy finish wear but no pitting. It could easily be restored to a really good looker. It is not a collector's gun by any stretch. Soooooo, should I refinish it?

SurfGent

Suspended
I don't see nothing wrong with restoring or refinishing a gun as long as it's well done and not cut any corners.

I have some guns that aren't worth much monetarily but they have a sentimental value to me. I've spent more on parts than gun is worth. In some cases I could have bought another one. But practical reasons never really direct our intentions

SurfGent

Suspended
I have a soft spot in my heart for sporterized mil surplus rifles. I would never do it to one today. But some of them I own were really well done and being a young man 35, I sometimes wonder who these guys were.

What game might have been taken with them, the campfires under the stars, the cheap beer, the chilly mornings hands cupped around a small porcelain dip'd cup. The blue ones with white speckles.

All this makes me nostalgic. But sometimes I come across them and there dirt cheap and great shooters. I feel don't get the credit they deserve for once being a weapon of war then many years still in the field getting the job done. Yet sometimes with a facelift.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Absolutely! My grandfather had a couple of 'parade' rifles that came down to me. He was too young for WWI and tool old for WWII but like so many immigrants he was a patriot to the tips of his fingers and marching in the Elks drill team was his way of expressing it. The old trapdoor Springfield with its dirt and grunge sits on the mantel but the Krag will get deplated, rebarreled and restocked into a turn-of-the-last-century sporter. Up here in the thick woods of the PNW it will make a fine deer and elk gun . . . some day.

SurfGent

Suspended
I see many of these on a weekly and monthly basis. As the last of the old timers pass away. These rifles and pistols will come out of the woodwork. Kids these days in mass generally aren't interested in these guns. There are some who are but as a whole there just not the interest. I've scored some really nice guns over the years from guys my age who eather don't care or want something else.
Another interesting discussion to have is the over value of some guns based on style of past generations. One example I can think of is colt revolvers.
There great guns but I think are way way over priced because the older generation grew up with them and knows what went into building Colt revolvers. ie hand finishing ect.
Plus as to the baby boom with there great retirement and reverse mortgages leaving nothing but scorched earth for the younger generation's I think will have a very difficult time finding some 25 year old kid who can afford one of there 3000$ colt Python's or would even want one.
A Ruger Blackhawk or GP100 double action could be had for 3-400$ and in my opinion are very fine sturdy crafted revolvers that have and will last a lifetime. I have a 1975 Blackhawk I bought for 280$ that's as still just as reliable and accurate and good looking as the day it was produced. As most may see from my pictures I reload and I've put over 10000 rds threw it and from the looks I'd say it's got another 100000 left in her. Plus what's been put threw it way before I got it. Hell before I was even born.
Seems like I'm ranting hear. Don't mean to. Just would like to see a discussion about this.
Any thoughts?

green papaya

One Too Many
Okay guys, I have a question for you. I have a very good shooting Argentine 1911 with heavy finish wear but no pitting. It could easily be restored to a really good looker. It is not a collector's gun by any stretch. Soooooo, should I refinish it?

I like to leave them with the finish wear, it's probably from being carried in a leather holster for years, I like the broken in look of a well used but not abused firearm, thats honest wear, and part of the history.

The finish wear makes it look more authentic and original

Renault

One Too Many
As a rule of thumb, I never buy new. Generally speaking I do not buy unless article is at least 60 years old.

I have made some exceptions. As purchase of a reintroduced "old" design. But I seldom break my "never buy new" rule. There are just too many good used firearms out there. And some of the old sporters as surf gent refers to are quality sleepers!!!

I've picked up Old Sarge's 20's era Krag sporters for less than $150! If I ever ran across a Krag with a decent bore it got snagged!

98 Mausers and their variants are same. Heck the actions alone are a gold mine. Especially pre-war stuff!!!

Some of the real bargains are in shotguns! All brands. Seems everybody here wants the new plastic, painted wonder guns! Good old standby 870's and 1100's are a buy! Heck I've picked up dang nice Prewar Model 12 Winchesters for less than $250!

I will admit working in a gunsmith shop did give me the advantage of being able to cherry pick a bit! ;)

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Oh!!!! I forgot to mention!!!!

SHAMELESS PLUG TIME!!!

I learned the other day that a photo of one of my 1895 Winchesters, as well as yours truly and his vintage camp is to be featured in The new 1895 Winchester reference book currently in the finishing stages!!!!

More to come!!

Way to go Buddy!!!! Keep us posted....You will be signing autograph copies of the photo right ;)

EngProf

Practically Family
Oh!!!! I forgot to mention!!!!

SHAMELESS PLUG TIME!!!

I learned the other day that a photo of one of my 1895 Winchesters, as well as yours truly and his vintage camp is to be featured in The new 1895 Winchester reference book currently in the finishing stages!!!!

More to come!!
Tell me more about the 1895 reference book. I have three of those (two original, one recent) and would like to read more about 1895's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24