Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

TPD166

One Too Many
Growing up watching westerns, I always wanted a Remington double-derringer but could never justify $500+ for a gun I can't shoot. A while back, I found a blued one with a broken latch, but in otherwise excellent condition for a reasonable price. Since it is a "wall-hanger" anyway, I jumped on it. Then last month I came across some folks liquidating a gun collection from an estate and picked up a fully functioning nickel one at a fraction of the normal asking price - could not pass it up (but did not buy the other one they had on the table). Over the weekend the same folks were at a different gun show and inexplicably still had the other one (not pictured) - for $50 less. So, in short-order I went from zero to three of these things!
rem1.jpg

1rem_zpsoigysuz4.JPG

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Growing up watching westerns, I always wanted a Remington double-derringer but could never justify $500+ for a gun I can't shoot. A while back, I found a blued one with a broken latch, but in otherwise excellent condition for a reasonable price. Since it is a "wall-hanger" anyway, I jumped on it. Then last month I came across some folks liquidating a gun collection from an estate and picked up a fully functioning nickel one at a fraction of the normal asking price - could not pass it up (but did not buy the other one they had on the table). Over the weekend the same folks were at a different gun show and inexplicably still had the other one (not pictured) - for $50 less. So, in short-order I went from zero to three of these things!
View attachment 114968
View attachment 114967
Those are beautiful! I have always liked derringers. What a great find! Are you going to shoot the new ones?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TPD166

One Too Many
While I'd like to shoot one, probably not - for several reasons. Since ammo manufacturing of .41 RF stopped about 1962, they cost about $15-20+ a round to shoot (if you can find it AND if it still works). Plus original ammo is corrosive black powder. Apparently Navy Arms had some ammo produced in South America a few years back, but I've read not to shoot in the Remingtons because it is hotter than original ammo and has damaged more than derringer (shooting it in stronger .41 RF revolvers seems to be OK).

Back in the 1950s, Great Western made dead-on copies of the Remingtons, but in modern calibers (.38 S&W and .38 Special) - if I had one of those, I'd gladly shoot it. But they are hard to come by and cost about the same as a Remington these days. I have been told that one of the Italian old west gun makers is considering making a Remington copy in modern caliber(s) (I'd recommend .32 or .38 S&W personally) - if that's true, I bet they'd have a hard time keeping up with demand.

Those are beautiful! I have always liked derringers. What a great find! Are you going to shoot the new ones?

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While I'd like to shoot one, probably not - for several reasons. Since ammo manufacturing of .41 RF stopped about 1962, they cost about $15-20+ a round to shoot (if you can find it AND if it still works). Plus original ammo is corrosive black powder. Apparently Navy Arms had some ammo produced in South America a few years back, but I've read not to shoot in the Remingtons because it is hotter than original ammo and has damaged more than derringer (shooting it in stronger .41 RF revolvers seems to be OK).

Back in the 1950s, Great Western made dead-on copies of the Remingtons, but in modern calibers (.38 S&W and .38 Special) - if I had one of those, I'd gladly shoot it. But they are hard to come by and cost about the same as a Remington these days. I have been told that one of the Italian old west gun makers is considering making a Remington copy in modern caliber(s) (I'd recommend .32 or .38 S&W personally) - if that's true, I bet they'd have a hard time keeping up with demand.
I bet an Italian copy in modern caliber, would sell like hotcakes! Thanks for sharing!

RJR

View attachment 114968
View attachment 114967
Heck of a find,congrats.

RJR

Buddy and I were discussing leather and gun belts this morning. Made the mistake of searching for a proper gun belt for his use. Didn't go through every leather box but went through enough to find what I needed. Lordy one can collect a lot of chit over a life time! Just pulled the real Colt's off their displays to add some atmosphere to the photo. Compared to some of my Colt friends my stash is small. My chap collection (and I use them all or will) doubled last week at that estate sale. I'm now at 9! Really? Nine? Really? Like who in their right mind actually needs 9 pairs of chaps? My goodness there have been a lot of cows/elephants/deer/elk/sheep/rams and big old clams kilt to keep me covered
smile.png
Enjoy!

Wow!

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Buddy and I were discussing leather and gun belts this morning. Made the mistake of searching for a proper gun belt for his use. Didn't go through every leather box but went through enough to find what I needed. Lordy one can collect a lot of chit over a life time! Just pulled the real Colt's off their displays to add some atmosphere to the photo. Compared to some of my Colt friends my stash is small. My chap collection (and I use them all or will) doubled last week at that estate sale. I'm now at 9! Really? Nine? Really? Like who in their right mind actually needs 9 pairs of chaps? My goodness there have been a lot of cows/elephants/deer/elk/sheep/rams and big old clams kilt to keep me covered
smile.png
Enjoy!

That is an outstanding collection. You may need to open a museum. I think I would come look .

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 114968
View attachment 114967
Nice. I would love to have one of those.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Looking at these neat old guns made me dig out some photos of a rifle I once owned, a custom 1874 model Shiloh Sharps from the days the plant was in New York. This was the first rifle I ever owned that wasn't a run-of-the-mill current production factory gun. I bought the rifle, unfired, from the original owner's son a couple years before the movie "Quigley Down Under" came out and drove demand for the 1874s through the roof. It was truly a fine rifle in every sense of the word, but it had a 34" extra-heavy barrel (untapered, and 1-3/8" across the flats as I recall) and was absolutely impractical for anything except shooting off of crossed sticks or from the bench. In fact, it was so heavy that the recoil from a full charge of 70 grains of black powder behind a 525-grain .45 caliber bullet was negligible. It was a replica of a known buffalo hunter's rifle, but was no good for lugging up and down the Appalachian hills and hollers of my home. Even a couple years after "Quigley", the demand for such a rifle was sky-high and I sold it for over three times what I paid for it; enough to pay off my new son's delivery bills and also order a new Shiloh that was much lighter and more practical for what it I wanted to do with such a gun (hunting and tinkering in the woods, mostly).

Here's a shot of the rifle, along with a Interarms Virginian Dragoon in .45 Colt (the only stainless .45 Colt revolver that had ever been produced to that point), and a hand-made Bowie:

Here's a shot of my daughter holding the Dragoon, and me holding the rifle. My daughter's second child is the same age now as she was in this picture:

And a shot of me, the rifle, and our black-and-tan rescue hound "Hobo". He had the sweetest disposition of any dog we've ever owned, and was a fantastic companion to our family for many years:

Pardon my nostalgia - these pictures were all together in a group and were taken almost 25 years ago, so I couldn't help but scan and post them all.

Take care,
Regan

Yahoody

One Too Many
No new guns? Someone needs to buy some new guns to look at on here. My wife's uncle left us this S &W Double Action revolver. 44-40 made in 1889. The finish isn't good anymore but the bore is still pretty good. Cool gun....not sure if I'll shoot it but it is just nice to have this historical piece. View attachment 115280

I'd clean it up some and shoot it. Black Powder only but nice old gun! Congrads on having nice family :)

Yahoody

One Too Many
Looking at these neat old guns made me dig out some photos of a rifle I once owned, a custom 1874 model Shiloh Sharps from the days the plant was in New York. This was the first rifle I ever owned that wasn't a run-of-the-mill current production factory gun. I bought the rifle, unfired, from the original owner's son a couple years before the movie "Quigley Down Under" came out and drove demand for the 1874s through the roof. It was truly a fine rifle in every sense of the word, but it had a 34" extra-heavy barrel (untapered, and 1-3/8" across the flats as I recall) and was absolutely impractical for anything except shooting off of crossed sticks or from the bench. In fact, it was so heavy that the recoil from a full charge of 70 grains of black powder behind a 525-grain .45 caliber bullet was negligible. It was a replica of a known buffalo hunter's rifle, but was no good for lugging up and down the Appalachian hills and hollers of my home. Even a couple years after "Quigley", the demand for such a rifle was sky-high and I sold it for over three times what I paid for it; enough to pay off my new son's delivery bills and also order a new Shiloh that was much lighter and more practical for what it I wanted to do with such a gun (hunting and tinkering in the woods, mostly).

Here's a shot of the rifle, along with a Interarms Virginian Dragoon in .45 Colt (the only stainless .45 Colt revolver that had ever been produced to that point), and a hand-made Bowie:

Here's a shot of my daughter holding the Dragoon, and me holding the rifle. My daughter's second child is the same age now as she was in this picture:

And a shot of me, the rifle, and our black-and-tan rescue hound "Hobo". He had the sweetest disposition of any dog we've ever owned, and was a fantastic companion to our family for many years:

Pardon my nostalgia - these pictures were all together in a group and were taken almost 25 years ago, so I couldn't help but scan and post them all.

Take care,
Regan

Really nice collection there, including Hobo :)

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab

Take care,
Regan
Great photos. Glad you shared them. Sounds like you made a heck of a deal on the Shiloh. I had a Pedersoli Rolling Block that was a heavy bugger too. It only had a 26" barrel, so when you say your 34" barrel was heavy I believe it. :)

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Thanks very much, gentlemen, for the compliments. I seldom post in threads like this (or any boards at all, in general) for fear of folks thinking my intention is, "Look at me, how great I am, because I own xxxxxxxx". I know lots of folks like that and I've never cared for that attitude, but in this case it is obvious that y'all have posted things you genuinely think others would be interested in seeing, which induced me to do the same.

I came here to the board looking for information on a specific hat, dug around to find that many things being discussed here were of interest to me, and decided to participate a little bit. The one thing I really enjoy about the Lounge is that most folks seem to have a traditional sense of values, courtesy, and respect (yes, even the younger ones!). I guess it should be no surprise given that the main topic of the board is fedoras, but I find it very refreshing that there are lots of topics here related to the "older ways" that are being discussed civilly and with true good will. Thanks very much for letting me take part!

Yahoody

One Too Many
Those heavy single shot rifles can be addictive :cool: I have sold mine off a couple of times of the past 30 years. Always wanted a Sharps '75 but could never justify it. And I can justify damn near anything as my wife can attest too :rolleyes: One came along in a trade recently that I couldn't morally turn down even if I'd wanted to, which I didn't :D want to.

My earlier '78 Browning. And the new and rather rare '75 C Sharps. Both in saddle rifle configuration with 24 and 26" med weight barrels. And even 30 years ago still too heavy for me to pack around. They are called a saddle rifle for a reason.

Bugguy

Practically Family
My dad passed this P-38 on to me when the Chicago inner-city neighborhood he lived in became somewhat sketchy. It was "liberated" in 1945. It's in almost perfect shape, except for some slight pitting at the front of the slide in the first picture. Our gunsmith suggests its never been used other than test firing. I've pushed a couple of clips through it, cleaned it well, and placed it in storage. It's now part of my estate going to my daughter.

Most interesting is that it was brought home legally. I've attached the certificate signed by his commanding officer that allowed him to keep it and bring it home. Was this practice just WWII or Korea or since?

IMG_0050.jpg
IMG_0051.jpg
IMG_0052.jpg
P38.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21