Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

All I can recall was my friend that owned a Mini 14 loved to shoot it but hated trying to clean the barrel. Soak scub patches, over and over trying to get to a clean patch coming out. Anybody else think the Mini 14 was difficult to clean?

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
All I can recall was my friend that owned a Mini 14 loved to shoot it but hated trying to clean the barrel. Soak scub patches, over and over trying to get to a clean patch coming out. Anybody else think the Mini 14 was difficult to clean?
No not really probably the Wolf ammo. I'm used to cleaning Garands and Carbines so it was no big deal. The one I hated was the HK 91. It was an easy fieldstrip but getting to that recessed chamber. I owned 2 but never really liked them.

warbird

One Too Many
JJWord said:
Doublegun,

I've mildly contemplated an over-under. Unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to fire one so I'm not sure how I would like it. From handling a few in the store they always seemed heavy and unbalanced to me, but that probably varies from model and manufacturer. I'll add the Red Label to my "wish list".

Thanks again!

I will have to respectfully disagree with my friend Doublegun here. I find the Red Label to eb the hardest kicking sob O/U built. They will wear you out, especially for sporting clays. I could handle one for a few shots hunting, but man on a clays course after 100 rounds, they are killers. Much worse than my old SxS's even.

The JJWord the O/U is naturally a heavy gun. If you shoot clays you want a heavy gun, the reduced felt recoil is far easier on your shoulder after 100-200 rounds in a day for 2-3 days. You will also find if you shoot any clays that most clays shooters shoot O/U and some shoots require it, because it is safer. You can look around and see that everyone has an unloaded, broken open gun. A well made O/U has a different balance point than the Semi, but a well made O/U or SxS is superbly balanced and just to me a work of art.

There are several ways to get into an O/U without an outlay of tremendous cost. CDNN right now has great deals on two makes I highly recommend. First is several models of the Browning and secondly Lanber, Spanish made, makes a great shotgun, incredible in fact for the money. Naturally you could also find a good deal in a used shotgun. I also recommend the Italian made Fasusti, very well made. Personally, though some of them are very well made, I would stay away from the Turkish made shotguns. Some of them are great, some not so. It is very hit or miss. As always I say try several shotguns and see what works best for you personally. Everything in a shotgun is about how it fits, no matter how expensive or not it is. I can shoot just about any Beretta and most Brownings. I can't hit the borad side of a barn with an out of the box Cesar Guerini, which is a good gun, but for me not worth a crap.

If you decide you might like a "B" gun, Beretta or Browning, do not let a gun shop owner who shoots shotguns sway you. Most B gun shooters are very brand loyal and are convinced you have to have one or the other. Each has its positives and negatives. In the end though it is about how it will fit you, not them. If you find both fit, which is unlikely for most as they are very different, then weigh the pros and cons of each. To me just about the most knowledgeable group of shotgun folks on the web are to be found at shotgunworld.com. Peruse that sight a bit. Have fun and definitely no shotgun collection is complete without an O/U.

warbird

One Too Many
KY Gentleman said:
I desperately want either a Ruger Mini 14 or a Mini 30.
What did you think of the one you fired?

The most recent ones made are fairly good. Other than that I say BEWARE!. They have had chronic problems with barrels, accuracy and horrid triggers. Out of the 100+ mini 14's I have shot, maybe 15-20 of them were naturally good shooters. They as all Rugers are work horses, overbuilt and tough as nails. But the 14 has had a history of many problems.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I agree the Red Lable is a little on the heavy side, but they are well made guns that will eat virtually any ammo and will do so for years. Furthermore, they are a pretty good buy right now on the used market.

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
Platten said:
We're not allowed to have guns in Germany.....

I just have a bayonett from WWI :(

I seriously doubt that. I was reading my Opas magazine a friend had brought back for him from Germany, MANY BEAUTIFUL and VERY EXPENSIVE custom guns. Everything from Biathlon, western shooting, hunting and marksman pistol and rifle, single, semi, bolt, break, double, drilling and so on.

Levallois

Practically Family
new old 1907 Winny

My feeble ode to the gangster era with my new 351 cal. Winchester rifle, 3 original 10-round mags and other accoutrements. Look for one of these in the upcoming Johnny Depp movie "Public Enemies."

351005.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for looking.

John

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Opas Coat said:
I seriously doubt that. I was reading my Opas magazine a friend had brought back for him from Germany, MANY BEAUTIFUL and VERY EXPENSIVE custom guns. Everything from Biathlon, western shooting, hunting and marksman pistol and rifle, single, semi, bolt, break, double, drilling and so on.

Actually, weapons laws are extemely stringent in Germany, you can't carry a knife PERIOD. Pepper spray...you can carry it but you have to pay out the wazzoo for taxes, permits, and even then you are under scrutiny from the polizei. In post war, Germany weapons were rampant, there weare actually shops that sold nothing but weapons of every type. Those days are sadly very much gone. I have friends in Germany both police and civilian. You think CA and NY gunlaws are bad...try Germany it'll make you be very thankful that you can atleast get a CCW in this country. ---

And I don't say this to start a political argument over gunlaws in separate countries just stating facts.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Levallois said:
My feeble ode to the gangster era with my new 351 cal. Winchester rifle, 3 original 10-round mags and other accoutrements. Look for one of these in the upcoming Johnny Depp movie "Public Enemies."

351005.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for looking.

John
..I gotta admit...that rifle / carbine Is freaking beautiful. I WANT ONE!!!

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Levallois said:

351005.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for looking.

John

Personally, my eyes are continuously drawn the 1911 pistol next to it. Colt series 80 Government I should think?

Levallois

Practically Family
I appreciate the kind words! The 1907 Winchester .351 cal. rifle was made in 1913.

And the 1911 is a Norinco as it is the only "old-style" 1911 that I own. What I really need to go in this photo is a 1930s-era Colt 38 super. However, the wife won't left me sell her car to get one.

John

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
That is a beautiful piece.

You can get them on Gunbroker for a song...I haven't personally bought one but I found one for my friend. I am looking at a 1930s Vintage S&W Detective Snubby on gunbroker right now. ALSO - For those vintage gun lovers I have found this site...its more expensive than any other gun site...but it is a feat for the eyes in every way.

http://www.mobguns.com/index2.htm

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
Than that could be why most of the rifles I looked at start around $10,000 euro. The gentlemen who can afford them don't mind paying for all the permits and what not.

Very nice .351!

Levallois

Practically Family
Ok, how about this one with an old hip flask, a circa 1930s Frank M. Whiting marked sterling silver money clip (still working on the old $100), the circa 1920s Colt New Service with fleur-de-lis grips and the 351 Win.?

351montage002.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24