Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Levallois said:
The Savage pocket pistols are another group that just aren't that well known, even by gun afficianados. And yet, I think they outsold the Colt pocket pistols during the years they were competitors - I'll try to find that info.

I heard similar things, but that the public swung over to being Colt fans for autos when the Army selected the 1911. Much like the popularity of the Beretta 92 shooting up after it's selection by our armed forces.

(There is a similar effect in early cars, the public was impressed with winners also. When a maker won a famous race their sales went up. This created a phrase for that type of sales increase called: "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday!")

Levallois

Practically Family
John, that sounds like it could be right but I'd love to check my information. I can't find my Savage books.

In the meantime, here's my Savage 1915 with some 1930s accoutrements - note the grip safety and the lack of an exposed hammer.

Savage1915001.jpg

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
FWIW...I own a Springfield WWII parkerized 1911a1 and could not be happier with it. It is an awesome shooter, balanced beautifully, and feels just right. Yes, the frame is forged in Brazil. The slide is forged as well.

I have added double diamond cocobolo grips to give it a more "period" look & feel. I have also added a long trigger for pure shootability.

Enjoy....

Pete

Corto

A-List Customer
The Great .45 Debate

I'm in the market for an M1911. Who makes the best .45 on the market today?

I've been scouring other message boards and have read what many, many other people think...but how about you Loungers?

Levallois

Practically Family
Corto said:

I've been scouring other message boards and have read what many, many other people think...but how about you Loungers?

Corto,

Are you looking for a classic-style pistol or more modern interpretation?

John

Corto

A-List Customer
Levallois said:
Corto,

Are you looking for a classic-style pistol or more modern interpretation?

John

I'm looking for more of a classic M1911. I am aware that Colt makes a WWI-era repro, and I'm considering that one. (Would you get a Colt, or a Springfield? They seem to be the only ones making a "classic" looking M1911).

But I'm also curious as to where the Loungers fall in on the Colt vs. Kimber vs. Springfield Armory vs. H&K vs. S&W, etc. debate regarding the .45 in general....

Which one jams the least?

Corto said:

This is pardon the pun a loaded question.
As asked above are you looking for a classic piece in an original configuration or modern?

If modern, you will find that the big names such as Springfield, Kimber, Smith & Wesson I think even Taurus have 1911's. These all should shoot very well out of the box. The tolerances are tighter with the CNC machining so they all should be good. Mostly you look for the features you want and go for it but have the gunsmith that specializes in 1911's give it the tune up to bring out the very best it can do.

A friend had a sweet modern style Kimber that shot great out of the box and then took it to Kings in Glendale and had them give it the once over. From sweet shooter to dream machine.

1911's and gunsmithing go hand in hand, and is a lot like the speed shop, how fast do you want to go means how deep is your checking account.

I don't know if they still make it but the TRP Tachtical Response Pistol model from Springfield Armoury always caught my eye. I bought my "Loaded" model 1911 from Springfield after several magazines had tested the "Loaded" version they make and gave it top marks for out of the box accuracy. Mine shoots better than I can if you know what I mean. A friend has a Para Ord that is really fine. Another has a 70's Colt Goverment Match 45 that has has some gunsmithing on it that is the type you can make Micky Mouse prints on a target at 25 yards.

You'll be a proud pappa with anyone of the above and there's more good makers to list and a ton of 'smiths to rave about.

Long barrel

I'd love to have a matched pair of the longer 6 inch barrel 1911's, the y have a really 'cool' look to them.

Thinking of the scene in Billy Bathgate where they are practicing shooting and Irv demonstrats "how to get out of a problem" with a pair of 1911's. It would have been cooler with the 6" model.

Corto said:
Which one jams the least?

Jams in a 1911 and other malfunctions tend to be a problem with the magazine lips getting bent most often or limp wristing during firing and not the gun.

There are better/best mags available from Chip McCormick and other makers.

Some people also upgrade the springs for better reliability should theirs have gotten "old and weak."

Levallois

Practically Family
For modern-style, I like the older Kimber "Classic II" - don't let the name fool you because this one has all the modern upgrades. For classic-style, and if I didn't want to spend the extra money on a pre-70 series Colt, I like the Norinco. Before anyone says don't buy Chinese because then you are supporting a repressive regime, these haven't been sold new in the USA for years. The Norinco is what many of the custom 1911 makers start with to make a fancy-schmancy 1911. I guess the frame and slide are built like a tank.

Here is the Kimber

KimberClackamas003.jpg

Here is the Norinco - please excuse the other stuff but this is my only photo of the Norinco and the girl-child has the camera

351005.jpg

Barchetta52

New in Town
Colt Official Police

anon',

Good looking pistols. Can't tell if the grips are wood or plastic. I've got an Official Police with with plastic grips and only slight wear on the cylinder. Looks like it spent a lot of time in the holster. Have you looked up the date for yours? I need to find my Colt book and do that for mine.

anon`

One Too Many
Barchetta52 said:
anon',

Good looking pistols. Can't tell if the grips are wood or plastic. I've got an Official Police with with plastic grips and only slight wear on the cylinder. Looks like it spent a lot of time in the holster. Have you looked up the date for yours? I need to find my Colt book and do that for mine.
They're wood, and AFIACT the giveaway is the medallion. It's a little metal insert on the wooden grips, while it's just moulded into the plastic ones. Don't know that for a hard fact, but that seems to be the case based on comments I've seen from others, as well as a plastic-gripped specimen I ran across today at the gun show.

Mine dates to 1944, which makes me wonder if the grips are originals or not. The "Coltwood" plastic grips were well-established by then, and I know that Colt continued to use them on the non-Commando OPs produced post-war for about a decade. What I can't tell is whether or not they continued production of standard blued OPs with wooden grips at the price the Army balked at during the war.

Also got (mostly) skunked today at the show. A whole two people I asked knew what a CZ38 was, and both told me straightaway that the guy I wanted to talk to about a mag for it died two months ago. Only one guy knew what the hell a Savage Model 1907 was. He didn't have any mags for those, either. I did walk out with a brass-buttoned US Army greatcoat dated to 1941 in 38L for $20. Figures I go to a gun show and wind up buying clothing =P

John in Covina said:
I'd love to have a matched pair of the longer 6 inch barrel 1911's, the y have a really 'cool' look to them.

Thinking of the scene in Billy Bathgate where they are practicing shooting and Irv demonstrats "how to get out of a problem" with a pair of 1911's. It would have been cooler with the 6" model.
I'm actually thinking to use 7" (AMT Longslide, like the Terminator's but without that ugly first-gen laser on top) lengths for my scratchbuilds, if I can find someone who'll make a 7" barrel...

THe other thing is, my longslides are going to have the "stretch" behind the radiusing, rather than in front--more muzzle weight should further reduce what little pitch-up there is in 1911 recoil. (Bit more of a concern since these will also have 10mm barrels fitted...)

Barchetta52

New in Town
Gun Shows

I went to the lamest gun show this afternoon. Paid $7 and walked through in about 20 minutes. The only thing I was slightly interested in was a Winchester 1907 for $795. Didn't buy it. Didn't even find clothes or books. Oh well, thee's a bigger one coming up in a couple of weeks.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Barchetta52 said:
I went to the lamest gun show this afternoon. Paid $7 and walked through in about 20 minutes. The only thing I was slightly interested in was a Winchester 1907 for $795. Didn't buy it. Didn't even find clothes or books. Oh well, thee's a bigger one coming up in a couple of weeks.
Only 7.00 ?!! Try here in Ca 20.00 through the door (Parking & Admission). For a bunch of PC crap nobody wants to buy. The only thing I go for is the Misc stuff I don't want to pay 10.00 shipping for. The shows here are getting smaller and smaller. It is mostly Antiques and Political booths now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred