Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Doublegun

Practically Family
I think Kimber makes the best off the shelf, new, 1911 for the money right now. They are extremely accurate right out of the box, very well made and readily available.

Who makes the best 1911? I guess it really comes down to what you want the gun for. If you want a nostalgic piece, look for an original or a reproduction. But if you are buying a 1911 for "carry" and personal protection I don't think you can beat Kimber which makes 3", 4" and 5" barreled models. You want a gun that you can put thousands of rounds through so you know exactly how the gun handles, not a gun that may already have several thousands of rounds through it and you have no idea how well the gun has been cared for over the past 50, 60 or more years.

Corto

A-List Customer
The Great .45 Debate

Thanks everyone for all of your advice. I'm still undecided.

I don't think I'm looking for something to carry, and I have other options for home defense.

Again, thanks for your two cents- especially about magazines and jamming. I appreciate it.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Dillinger's derringer nets $95,600 at auction

DALLAS (AP) -- A gun once carried by bank robber John Dillinger has brought $95,600 at a Texas auction.

Heritage Auction Galleries in Dallas reports the winning bid for the Remington .41-caliber double derringer was more than double the pre-auction estimate. The gun sold Saturday to a Los Angeles area collector.

A statement from the auction house says Dillinger was carrying the small pistol hidden in a sock when he was arrested in Tucson, Ariz., 75 years ago.

Dillinger was killed six months later on July 22, 1934, by federal agents outside the Biograph Theater in Chicago.

He is portrayed by actor Johnny Depp in the recently released movie "Public Enemies."

warbird

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
I'm actually thinking to use 7" (AMT Longslide, like the Terminator's but without that ugly first-gen laser on top) lengths for my scratchbuilds, if I can find someone who'll make a 7" barrel...

THe other thing is, my longslides are going to have the "stretch" behind the radiusing, rather than in front--more muzzle weight should further reduce what little pitch-up there is in 1911 recoil. (Bit more of a concern since these will also have 10mm barrels fitted...)

Then you will have to have 2 different slides because the 45 and 10mm have incompatible breech facings.

anon`

One Too Many
The latest--and probably last, for awhile--addition to my collection, plus some other somewhat period-correct accouterments to go with it, inspired by some of the, well, inspired photography from earlier in this thread:

DSCN1947.JPG

warbird

One Too Many
The latest addition to my assemblage of firearms, a new take on an old classic.

19112.jpg

Kimber frame bobtailed. The bobtail makes the weapon more comfortable and easier to conceal. Frame also had front strap and trigger guard checkered

Ed Brown bobtail, beavertail safety and grips
Old Caspian Commander length slide, lowered ejection port, durable finish
Kart barrel and bushing
Novak sights
Wilson Ambi Safety
Internal parts a mix of Wilson, Ed Brown and Cylinder and Slide
Standard guide rod. Don't go for that full length stuff

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
Many moons ago I went for a ccw with two friends. We had a 300 pt qual for proficency. My buddy Art used his kimber new out of the box, Jim used an older gunsmith made.45 and I used a Norinco full sized with no modifications. we fired from 25, 15 and 7 yds. Our three scores were 298, 297 and 296. Guess who won.:)
Tom

warbird

One Too Many
Certainly in the end accuracy is mostly about whether you can shoot. I can shoot about anything well, given that the firearm is well made to begin with. The 1911 is inherently an accurate weapon.

It is also my experience if you give a good shooter a decent gun he will perform nearly if not as well as a merely OK shooter who has a good weapon, but will outperform OK shooters all day long with a very good weapon.

The fact that we will soon celebrate 100 years of the 1911 design and that it is still one of the best sold pistols in the world speaks volumes. However the design can be improved upon. It is inherently a firearm which requires a lot of hand fitting and is complicated. It is now and always has been an expensive weapon to produce. It is also not the most reliable weapon w/o some adjustment.

I carry my 1911's and depend on them for self defense. My approach to them is not to be the most accurate possible, but to be accurate and utterly reliable. I want them to have as few edges as possible and be as easy to draw and as comfortable n the hand as possible. Any mods to a carry gun should be only that which makes it easier to carry and easier to fit in the hand and again utterly reliable. Many of the mods made to 1911's are either simply aesthetic or are completely unnecessary, even make them less reliable in fact. No gun in the world has so many parts and mods available to it.

The beavertail grip is one mod which I deem very useful. It allows you to acquire a higher grip on the gun, making for a lower bore sight radius and in the end a more accurate gun in fast fire situations. The bobtail is simply a way to carry more comfortably but I also find in fits better in the hand. Chequering the front strap obviously simply gives more grip to the gun. The most important mods one can make are on the inside with high quality hand fitted parts for dependability and ease of use. Any gun will benefit from a trigger job and polishing work.

The standard mil spec 1911 will provide an owner with plenty of fun on the range and be a lifelong part to the collection. However I would never carry an out of the box mil spec 1911.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
bigshoe said:
Many moons ago I went for a ccw with two friends. We had a 300 pt qual for proficency. My buddy Art used his kimber new out of the box, Jim used an older gunsmith made.45 and I used a Norinco full sized with no modifications. we fired from 25, 15 and 7 yds. Our three scores were 298, 297 and 296. Guess who won.:)
Tom
Norinco were good guns I wish I could have snagged one before the Ban. I worked with a guy who taught Tactical Handgun and they all used Norincos. They had used the frame to build their guns on.

WH1

Practically Family
Colt 1878:

C02.jpg

S&W 1917 and Colt Argentine 1927:

DSC_1237.jpg

WOW!!! :eusa_clap Beautiful condition on all 3 of these and all are high on my I want list especially the 1917. One of my all time favorite revolvers.

Duster

New in Town
John in Covina said:
I had read that the Astra in 9mm Largo will function with a wide variety of different 9mm auto rounds.
You should be able to use 9 mm Para and .380 although some do not recommend it as a steady diet. I have not personally tried anything beside the Largo.

Duster

New in Town
Story said:
Very nice - I'd read where those were more popular in the Old West than one would think. What caliber is it?
It's a .45 LC. The gun was in rough shape at one time. It was re-barreled and re-blued. Its a cool shooter now

Highlander

A-List Customer
Love the S&W 1917, and the 1911, but I'd really love to have that 1878 Colt. I have two 1877 Thunder's in nickel finish. One is pretty good, the other is a little rough. But I love those little revolvers. I keep my eyes open for an 1878 too.

Levallois

Practically Family
I'm with you Highlander - especially the sheriff's models in 45LC - nice little-big hide-a-way guns:

1878001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats