Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Warbaby

One Too Many
As some of you may know, I'm currently visiting the SF Bay Area and dealing with the stuff I've had stored in a friend's warehouse since we moved to Amsterdam, then to Canada where we're now living. Haven't seen my guns in five years and it's great to have them back in hand. Here are some photos:

Weatherby Mark XXII .22 clip-loading semi auto

Weatherby1.jpg

Winchester 94 30-30 (1954) with trapper lever

Winchester1.jpg

Winchester2.jpg

Custom .45 Auto
Early Safari Arms frame, SS&S slide, Pachmeyer grips

Custom45a.jpg

Custom45b.jpg

I've done the paperwork so I can take the two rifles back to Canada with me, but it's almost impossible to import the .45 so I'm leaving it with a friend who's a gunsmith to sell for me. It's a beautiful gun and I'm gonna miss it.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Found on another forum, sharing for it's artistic composition.
sw_mp1.jpg

Needs it's own soundtrack -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lABZR3sAbo

avedwards said:
How is it any good for retention purposes? Forgive me if I'm sounding stupid. :eusa_doh:

Look closely at my Webley's butt, see the lanyard cord?
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=871076&postcount=1342
It does what it's supposed to do. Lanyards are useful when riding around on a horse, avoiding pitfalls and spears, tripping over barbed wire and trench-junk or in any instance where one could lose their grip on the weapon.

Model 1939 K98, dated 1940, with mismatched bolt that I dragged home from Iraq for the BN Museum
Carbine_I.jpg
[/img]

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
Colt New Service. It was originally chambered in .455 but at some time the cylinder was bored out to accept .45 LC. It was kinda rough when I got it so I had it parkerized and swapped out the repro. plastic grips for the wood ones you see here.

new_service-1.jpg

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
Sig Sauer P225. I bought this one new a few years ago. I was looking for a used one and my local dealer found this one in the back of their safe. The grips are Nills.

Sig_p225_nills.jpg

jimmer_5

Practically Family
HoosierDaddy said:
Here's a repeat of some of my collection.

100_0464.jpg

...and a couple of antiques that I picked up when I first started collecting in the early '90s....

100_0506.jpg

100_0509.jpg

HD

Wow! Some beautiful pieces there! You don;t see much nice engraving anymore!

DeaconKC

One Too Many
My mother in law just got her Dad's old shotgun. It's an old Essex single shot, made by Crescent. Going to pick it up today and get it running again. Can't wait to see it and tear into it. My MIL is a sweetie, so this means a lot to her. Will post pics later.

Hankh

Familiar Face
U.S. Rifle M1

Last Friday in the Nijmegen (NL) area.
I'm wearing an Eastman ELC Alpha-2 and a pair of At The Front M-1942 trousers.
The rifle M1 shown was left behind after the battle for the Nijmegen bridge. Bought it from a farmer and managed to get a permit for it.
cid_B11E13BAED8A49C7A3A2B1CAF8D1C18.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
God willing, I may be coming into possession of a M4 converted to civi status (originally military w/auto selector, collapsable stock, 16" barrel, tac-rail, etc. with switch removed and changed to semi/safety switch). I won't say how much I'm paying, as all details aren't out yet, although I'm sure it is under $900.

Does anyone have any experience with these fine weapons? I know they are something like 80% similar to the M16/AR-15, or so I'm told. Anyone have any advice?

Undertow, the rule is "once a machine-gun, always a machine-gun." If that receiver has ever been select-fire, it will forever be an MG in ATF's eyes even if Da Switch is gone and it only has a Semi sear--this is why the original Auto-Ordnance 1927AC semiauto Thompson (as opposed to the West Hurley redesign sold now) is so low-value: it's legally a machinegun because it was built on a full-auto receiver and can be easily reconverted to Rock'n'Roll, but because it doesn't have Da Switch it's all the PITA of an MG with none of the fun.

If it wasn't in the NFRTR registry pre-'86, you may be looking at what ATF would consider an "illegal machinegun." IANAL, but proceed with extreme caution...
----------------
Now playing: John Barry - Capsule In Space
via FoxyTunes

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diamondback said:
Undertow, the rule is "once a machine-gun, always a machine-gun." If that receiver has ever been select-fire, it will forever be an MG in ATF's eyes even if Da Switch is gone and it only has a Semi sear--this is why the original Auto-Ordnance 1927AC semiauto Thompson (as opposed to the West Hurley redesign sold now) is so low-value: it's legally a machinegun because it was built on a full-auto receiver and can be easily reconverted to Rock'n'Roll, but because it doesn't have Da Switch it's all the PITA of an MG with none of the fun.

If it wasn't in the NFRTR registry pre-'86, you may be looking at what ATF would consider an "illegal machinegun." IANAL, but proceed with extreme caution...
----------------
Now playing: John Barry - Capsule In Space
via FoxyTunes

Excellent advice Diamondback! I've been in touch with professional smiths around IA and no one wants to touch the thing (IA is NOT class III). I'm still waiting to hear back from my man on the inside about the finer points. For instance, I'm not certain yet if this was built semi, or if this was literally MG converted down. My hope is that it was built semi, which would in turn be a strange build considering these are supposedly coming straight from the military. Although, I have a feeling this may be some kind of hybrid built for private security firms (Blackhawk, etc), with the potential to be moved up, or some such nonsense. I think in the end, I will get a straight semi - but in any case, civi m4s with all bells and whistles (collapsable stock, short barrel, tac rail, etc) still go for $1100+ and I'll be snagging one for about 300 less.

DB, have you had a chance to fire one of these? I've been told the 5.56 (.223) is quiet enough to go w/o ear protection, although of course I would wear mine. I've also been told that the recoil is so slight you can place the butt of the gun on any part, save the eyes and nose, and fire with no pain. And how's the accuracy? I imagine it must be decent, but could someone snipe at 100yards?

anon` said:
Huh? These are legal for sale to certain FFL holders within the US, and in working order command prices in excess of $10,000?
True, but they're still Title II MG's and have to be registered as such because of the fact that they were first built as 1921A/'21AC full-autos and if you stuff a '21 or '28 gut-set into 'em the receivers will rock-'n'-roll. I meant in context of, "compared to all other Title II Thompsons aside from the short-barrel and AOW Westy variants." Check out MachineGunBoards.com's TSMG section for more...

Undertow, I had a chance to fire a full-auto M16, but it had a broken firing-pin and the owner had left the spares at his shop a mile back up the road. I personally would never fire any non-suppressed weapon under non-emergency conditions, and 100yds is not "sniping", considering that most serious battle- and sport/utility-rifles are built for 300-500yd "normal working range" and sniping is IIRC more like 750+--as a general rule, any properly-built rifle will deliver a hit at 100 if you do your part in holding it steady and getting your "sight-alignment, then trigger squeeze" down right for it. If it's ex-mil, it's certainly gonna be an MG, and might be stolen military property to boot. The guys at MGBoards might be able to help you, too... and there are some NFA AR guys over at EOTacForum.com that might also be able to help you out. TBH, though, aside from the M16 "planned fire that turned into ergonomics checkout", the extent of my Long Guns experience is between a full-auto AK and a Remington 870, and both banged my shoulder up pretty good. On your case, perhaps I'm overcautious, but when others trust me for advice I make it a personal rule to always err well into the safe side.

up196

A-List Customer
870 shoulder

Diamondback said:
the extent of my Long Guns experience is between a full-auto AK and a Remington 870, and both banged my shoulder up pretty good.
Your comment reminds me of the time the agents in my division went skeet and trap shooting as a "team building" exercise, and all of us were using our issued 870s with 18" and 20" barrels. When I got home, my wife saw my bruised shoulder and asked what happened. When I told her it was from the 870, she said it looked terrible. I said "maybe so, but you should see what it does to the other guy!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou