Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Story

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
God willing, I may be coming into possession of a M4 converted to civi status (originally military w/auto selector, collapsable stock, 16" barrel, tac-rail, etc. with switch removed and changed to semi/safety switch). I won't say how much I'm paying, as all details aren't out yet, although I'm sure it is under $900.

Does anyone have any experience with these fine weapons? I know they are something like 80% similar to the M16/AR-15, or so I'm told. Anyone have any advice?

I lugged a *real* one around in Iraq for a year, in lieu of an M9 (our unit was dual-carry for the mission, but we were short on pistols and even tho' all the other little staff weenies had a pistola, I didn't mind). With the M68 optic, it was just fine as a truck gun/personal protection piece.

I think you're getting what's politely called an "M4gry", which means that the lower receiver (the part registered on the 4473) was manufactured as a semi-automatic. Ask who made the lower.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Alexandre.R said:
3 of mine,
First a Luger P08, 9mm:
l_a2174b05fb544aa4a0dd13eb5850ae2a.jpg

Some other to come...:D

That's pretty swanky. I thought you hommes were restricted on military calibers?

More vintage, not mine - $600, with the firing pin hole undrilled and the manufacturer recommending that you NOT shoot it.
http://vintageordnance.com/
pistol.JPG

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Most production AR platform guns are <2 moa out of the box. It will hit what you aim at well further than that, consider that the Marine rifle qual involves 600 yd prone shooting with iron sights and that's done in boot camp with horribly beat-up rifles.

You'll want ear protection, it's a supersonic round and will damage your hearing. Painfully. Very low recoil round though, you can shoot it all day.

Something that is becoming more popular lately (per ATF reports) is buying suppressors. If they are legal in your state you can forego the hearing protection and with multiple manufacturers in the business your total cost is going to be well under $1,000, including the ATF paperwork. Remember that suppressors were designed by Maxim and others as a safety device to avoid hearing damage and fortunately are almost back to "over the counter" ease of purchase and cost status like they were prior to '34.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
12 guage side by sides or single shots with and english stock, anyone have the 411 on reasonably priced models? or pictures of yours?

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Ugartechea....

Alexi said:
12 guage side by sides or single shots with and english stock, anyone have the 411 on reasonably priced models? or pictures of yours?

Dear Alexi,
While, as the dollar has plummeted, the price has risen: the Spanish guns by Ugartechea currently imported by Lion Country Supply are the best you will get, new, for the money....and besides being one of the last places in the world where guns are still made by the old methods, its also a place where you can get the kind of style you (and I) are interested in. I have 3 12g from them, and the 28g that I carry afield as my regular gun is also from them. Here's the LCS page:

http://www.doubleshotguns.com/ugartechea.htm

You may be able to find something at Kittery Trading Post, if you look often enough...that's where the 28 came from. But you won't get a bargain up there, as you probably know. Still, against the other guns you'll find of this quality, they are still cheap.

Don't be put off by what you may have heard about the quality of Spanish guns: this was once the case (in the 70s and 80s); the hardening of the steel was not consistent. Nowadays, that's all ancient history. If you buy an older gun, you might want to swap out the firing pins....the first 12g I bought (NOS) peenen 'em over after a few hundred rounds. That was many, many rounds ago...and the gun is fine.

PM me if you want some additional information.

"Skeet"

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Alexi said:
ducks and perhaps skeet

You'll be wanting something OTHER than a single-shot then; Skeet requires you to shoot doubles. I wouldn't doubt you might appreciate a second shot on ducks, either....for waterfowl: definitely 12g. For Skeet....anything you like.

"Skeet"

MCPRE

Familiar Face
This was at a wake for an old friend who passed away last year, in his honor we held a campout/shootout. He would not have wanted it any other way! Thats me with the Pit Bull shirt.;)

4153767048_2f0bc47de6_b.jpg

cwdubya

New in Town
IMG_0764-1.jpg

95.jpg

Hopefully these two work! My first post on the forums, and I thought this would be a fun thread to kick it off with. Above there's a Navy Arms 1873 in .44-40, and a Winchester 1895 in .405. I have a few other cowboy action toys sitting around, but this should start out nicely. Fun to see everyone's pistols, rifles, and shotguns!

Regards,
Clayton

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Problem with M1911A1 and clones

I hope someone can help me with a problem I've been having lately.

[Btw, I have only been able to complete limited research on my own as my work-computer blocks the majority of firearm related web sites.]

I have a SA M1911A1 which I've owned for maybe a full year (in fact, I'm certain there are some pictures of it up on this thread). I've fired roughly (being generous here) 100 rounds through it, which is an unfortunately low number. However, last night as I prepared it to carry, I loaded a magazine with my usual Federal Hydra-Shok rounds and pulled back the slide, only to have the bullet stay right in place with the rim catching the slide from pulling forward; or in other words the round would not chamber.

My natural reaction was that this was the guns fault. When I was able to devote proper time, I released the magazine and tore down the firearm for some deep cleaning (which it needed anyway, IMHO). After feeling quite confident that all surfaces were cleaned and oiled, paying particular attention to the feed ramp and barrel, I reassembled the firearm, loaded my magazine and attempted to chamber a round. Same problem.

After inspecting the magazine repeatedly, the only thing I can determine is that the bullet, when pushed forward by the slide, is nosing down, rather than up, causing the round to “catch” against the ramp. I know this has not happened in the year I’ve owned the gun because I’ve been carrying it rather consistently, usually with my Hydra-Shoks, and I’ve never had a round stick.

Is this a magazine issue? A gun issue? Should have the barrel and ramp polished? Or is there an easier, more practical (less expensive) fix? What am I missing?

I really appreciate your feedback on this issue as I have NO friends who are gun enthusiasts. :D

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Sounds like a magazine problem. It happens when I use cheap "Gun Show" mags (after market). ACP mags are a pain to clean too. Are you using Factory mags ? Fortunately .45 magazines are cheap (Mil-Surp) I bought some NIW for 5 bucks at a Show once. Watch out for Chinese made made Mags. I clean my mags by pushing the follower down with a piece of wood. I then put a nail through the lowest hole to keep the follower down. I then scrub the walls with a tooth brush. I then use a half a can of WD-40 to hose it out.

Hankh

Familiar Face
DutchIndo said:
Sounds like a magazine problem. Watch out for Chinese made made Mags. I clean my mags by pushing the follower down with a piece of wood. I then put a nail through the lowest hole to keep the follower down. I then scrub the walls with a tooth brush. I then use a half a can of WD-40 to hose it out.

Yep, probably a mag. failure. Watch out for cheap Italian made mags as well.
I only use WWI and WWII G.I. mags and clean them after every use. No problems so far.
BTW it's not very difficult to disassemble the magazine and take the spring and follower out.
Keep in mind that the M1911A1 was developed for the .45 ACP ball ammo.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Hankh said:
Yep, probably a mag. failure. Watch out for cheap Italian made mags as well.
I only use WWI and WWII G.I. mags and clean them after every use. No problems so far.
BTW it's not very difficult to disassemble the magazine and take the spring and follower out.
Keep in mind that the M1911A1 was developed for the .45 ACP ball ammo.
Hankh a Dutch shooter ! My nephew is/was the IPSC shooter of Holland. When he competes he uses the CZ 75 .

mrfish

New in Town
Webley Mark VI. 1918. Uncut. Still fires .455.

fedoradecopics002.jpg

Browning Hi-power. Made in Belgium under Nazi occupation.

fedoradecopics003.jpg

Walther P1. The post-war P-38. Not as well-made, I hear, but I'm quite fond of it. It's the bedside companion.

fedoradecopics004.jpg

mrfish

mrfish

New in Town
Dad's war-found Arisaka 6.5. A Lee-Enfield that I found locally, and Lefty the Cat.

fedoradecopics007.jpg

A 12 ga Savage and a no name .410.

fedoradecopics009.jpg

Really, nothing is quite as handsome as a simple single barrel shotgun. As much as I admire the history behind my other guns, and that is why I have them, the lines of those two cheap field guns are quite exceptional.

mrfish

Highlander

A-List Customer
I have Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat Mags for my 1911s. I too have had one of the McCormicks that won't work well with my Ed Brown, the others seem to. All of them seem to work ok with my Series 80 Colt 1911.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou