Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Undertow said:
I'll tell you what - I've fired two Smith 500's: an 8" barrel and a 13" compensated barrel all tricked out by the factory.

In each case, that beast gave a mighty kick (for godsake, the grass under the bullet parted with the blast)! I put a nice crack in a 1/2" steel plate at 25 yards. The gun itself is well designed, and definitely weighted to handle the kick, but man alive, it punches hard.

However, I believe the Desert Eagle in .50AE kicks harder than the Smith500. I've seen someone try to one-hand a DE and receive a nice goose-egg on his forehead from recoil. The grip on the Smith is designed so that you have to hold it with two hands just to aim it.

On the other hand, I fired a 6" Taurus .454 Casull and felt like it was smoother and had less kick than a 5" .45ACP Smith Revolver. [huh]

I think it has more to do with weight distribution, as you mentioned, than anything else. If a gun is too light with a heavy round then that gun is going to climb on you when you fire it---no matter how many hands you have on it. ;)
Anyone out there get to fire a T-Rex yet? Anything else pales in comparison. :eek: ;)

Decodence

A-List Customer
Undertow said:
I'll tell you what - I've fired two Smith 500's: an 8" barrel and a 13" compensated barrel all tricked out by the factory.

In each case, that beast gave a mighty kick (for godsake, the grass under the bullet parted with the blast)! I put a nice crack in a 1/2" steel plate at 25 yards. The gun itself is well designed, and definitely weighted to handle the kick, but man alive, it punches hard.

However, I believe the Desert Eagle in .50AE kicks harder than the Smith500. I've seen someone try to one-hand a DE and receive a nice goose-egg on his forehead from recoil. The grip on the Smith is designed so that you have to hold it with two hands just to aim it.

On the other hand, I fired a 6" Taurus .454 Casull and felt like it was smoother and had less kick than a 5" .45ACP Smith Revolver. [huh]
You recall what loadings you were shooting in it? I was shooting 400gr loads and the felt recoil was less than my 44 ruger shooting 185gr target loads.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Decodence said:
You recall what loadings you were shooting in it? I was shooting 400gr loads and the felt recoil was less than my 44 ruger shooting 185gr target loads.

Unfortunately, no. Both firearms belonged to a set of brothers, each of which did their own handloading. That being said, I believe the typical range of bullets for the .500 is from 400 to 510 grains, and the typical velocity is something like 1900-2300fps.

I know since the release of the .500, there has been a concerted effort by both ammo manufacturers and S&W to produce ammo with far less recoil so that the gun is more manageable in practice. Perhaps you had your hands on a target load?

Just imagine for a moment that even .45ACP's don't hit far over 1000fps and they're typically 240gr. Pushing 400+ grains at the same velocity you'd push a .223 M4 round is HUGE pressure, which must be compensated for somewhere in the equation.

Decodence

A-List Customer
Undertow said:
Unfortunately, no. Both firearms belonged to a set of brothers, each of which did their own handloading. That being said, I believe the typical range of bullets for the .500 is from 400 to 510 grains, and the typical velocity is something like 1900-2300fps.

I know since the release of the .500, there has been a concerted effort by both ammo manufacturers and S&W to produce ammo with far less recoil so that the gun is more manageable in practice. Perhaps you had your hands on a target load?

Just imagine for a moment that even .45ACP's don't hit far over 1000fps and they're typically 240gr. Pushing 400+ grains at the same velocity you'd push a .223 M4 round is HUGE pressure, which must be compensated for somewhere in the equation.
Well, the gun weighs 6#, and has a compensator built-in ;)

I think the controlability with the 500 is VERY smooth compared to the vaquero which wants to jump out of my hand due to the relatively light weight and small grip. My Glock 30 and 36 feel very easy to shoot after shooting that 44, and the 500 is very managable as well. I want to put my hands on some of those 600 and 700gr loads for it. I'd imagine those to be a handful.

Decodence

A-List Customer
Got M4?
Shoots like a dream.
DSC_7498Large.jpg

DSC_7493Large.jpg

Undertow

I was referring to the M4 carbine, but kudos on the trench gun! I was looking at one of those at my local sport store for around $350 used. Ah, if I had the money, it would be in my collection (I need a new 12ga anyway).

You know, honestly, I want to try out the 460XVR. If I were going to purchase a big revolver, I think that Smith would be more bang for buck considering all the ammo variations it takes (.454 Casull, .45LC, .460XVR). And the velocity on that could take anything down, least of all a misguided TV thief!

Your Vaquero must be brutal if it makes the .500 seem smooth! I'm not saying the .500 is totally unmanageable, but it was certainly not something I would hand a greenhorn unless I wanted a youtube laugh. I suppose if your vaquero is light in the hand, shooting a .44mag would jump quite a bit.

Decodence

A-List Customer
Undertow said:
I was referring to the M4 carbine, but kudos on the trench gun! I was looking at one of those at my local sport store for around $350 used. Ah, if I had the money, it would be in my collection (I need a new 12ga anyway).
If you can find a used M4 for $350, send me the dealer's info. I'd snatch one up for 1/4 price any day of the week. One with collapsable stock, and a Ti extended magazine, and a few other odds and ends goes for north of two big bills however.

You know, honestly, I want to try out the 460XVR. If I were going to purchase a big revolver, I think that Smith would be more bang for buck considering all the ammo variations it takes (.454 Casull, .45LC, .460XVR). And the velocity on that could take anything down, least of all a misguided TV thief!
A 6" XVR is what I want next as far as wheel guns go.

Your Vaquero must be brutal if it makes the .500 seem smooth! I'm not saying the .500 is totally unmanageable, but it was certainly not something I would hand a greenhorn unless I wanted a youtube laugh. I suppose if your vaquero is light in the hand, shooting a .44mag would jump quite a bit.
The vaquero is just hard to hang onto and reasonably light. Not as bad as father's .45LC/410 snake slayer, but it certainly isn't a gun which allows you to bring the sites to bear back on the target in short order.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Decodence said:
The vaquero is just hard to hang onto and reasonably light. Not as bad as father's .45LC/410 snake slayer, but it certainly isn't a gun which allows you to bring the sites to bear back on the target in short order.

Are we talking about the Ruger Vaquero? The one that is patterned after the Colt Single Action Army? I think those are supposed to rotate back in your hand, to ease working the hammer after each shot.

Or are you saying it’s hard to hold onto in some other respect?

-Dave

Decodence

A-List Customer
David Conwill said:
Are we talking about the Ruger Vaquero? The one that is patterned after the Colt Single Action Army? I think those are supposed to rotate back in your hand, to ease working the hammer after each shot.

Or are you saying it’s hard to hold onto in some other respect?

-Dave
Yes on both counts. One is spoiled with modern grips.

Undertow

Decodence said:
If you can find a used M4 for $350, send me the dealer's info. I'd snatch one up for 1/4 price any day of the week. One with collapsable stock, and a Ti extended magazine, and a few other odds and ends goes for north of two big bills however...

Man! I wish you wouldn't have told me that! :eek:

Honestly, I would have run up the old credit card had I known!

It was at Scheels about a year ago. It was the civi model (4+1, fixed stock), but when I was looking at it, they offered an extended magazine and an order on the collapsable stock if I made the purchase on my Scheels card (and pay for installation of the stock). I said no, being the frugal dunce that I am, and figured I'd come across it again. Haha! :eusa_doh:

Kopf-Jaeger

New in Town
This is the first time I've attempted to post a few pictures of several of my firearms. please forgive my photographic skills or lack thereof.
1012102001-1.jpg

This first one is a Colt .38 carried by the pictured DSP Motorcyle Trooper from 1929-1949.

1911.jpg

A 1917 Colt 1911 U.S. Property carried in WWI "The Yankee Fist" lol

1012101945.jpg

Smith & Wesson .32 with 1914 Pistol Permit from Rochester NY and box of period ammunition.

1012101952.jpg

1917 Smith & Wesson U.S. Property also from the "Great War"

Decodence

A-List Customer
Benelli is finally offering a real magazine tube instead of that fluted, neutered nonsense?

:eusa_clap

They have an full-length LEO only factory tube, but mine is a Ti aftermarket US-Produced model. It is vastly superior. Carriercomp was the manf.

Kopf-Jaeger

New in Town
Matrioshka, the Colt is an "OFFICERS MODEL" it doesn't appear as such in the photos but it's a very large frame almost the same as a Colt 1917. The barrel is a 6" model. For a size comparison, the photo its laying on is an 8"x10"

up196

A-List Customer
Matrioshka, the Colt is an "OFFICERS MODEL" it doesn't appear as such in the photos but it's a very large frame almost the same as a Colt 1917. The barrel is a 6" model. For a size comparison, the photo its laying on is an 8"x10"
The Officer's Model revolvers were built on the .41 caliber frame size. In Colt's 1929 lineup, that frame was the basis for the fixed-sight Official Police and the target sight version, the Officer's Model. That frame size also served as the basis for the later .357 Model and Python.

The Police Positive, Police Positive Special and Detective Special were built on a smaller frame; the New Service and 1917 on the larger .45 frame.

Last edited:

Undertow

Have any of you seen or shot one of these Blaser R93 rifles, or any of the straight-pull counterparts? Blaser is a German company and evidently their tactical line is being used by German and Dutch police.

blaser_r93_main.jpg_e_bb48f5c07bad2ebd5924f288d6665dad.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner