Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Hot damn, Renault, that may be the prettiest revolver I've seen this year. What a find . . . and unfired? Amazing!

I realize this is sort of contrarian of me but having carried a black gun for twenty-nine years, I want nothing to do with them ever again. Yeah, they shoot. I used to be able to shoot one hole groups with mine when the unit went to qualify but I just don't like them. We called 'em Mouse Guns, as in 'Mickey'.

If any of the chaps on the board have interest, it looks like I'm going to be the exclusive importer of the only Scheibengewehr still being manufactured. For those who believe one should 'stand on your hind legs and shoot like a man' there is nothing like them.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hot damn, Renault, that may be the prettiest revolver I've seen this year. What a find . . . and unfired? Amazing!

I realize this is sort of contrarian of me but having carried a black gun for twenty-nine years, I want nothing to do with them ever again. Yeah, they shoot. I used to be able to shoot one hole groups with mine when the unit went to qualify but I just don't like them. We called 'em Mouse Guns, as in 'Mickey'.

If any of the chaps on the board have interest, it looks like I'm going to be the exclusive importer of the only Scheibengewehr still being manufactured. For those who believe one should 'stand on your hind legs and shoot like a man' there is nothing like them.

Hi

I'm also a little against the AR frame, not because I had to carry one, I didn't, but because I don't like it that I feel the ejector flip more than the recoil. I went out to a friend's ranch and shot my SAA. It's an old model Uberti (screw holds in the cylinder not the pin). Well, its new and the screw came a bit loose, so I took the gun down and when I put it back together it wouldn't fire. I looked Uberti's page and there are two notches in the base pin, and if you put in the front one, the hammer won't go down. I have no idea why there are two notches, but it's great to know I didn't loose a part or anything.

So, I KNOW I shouldn't ask, but how much are those offhand guns and what calibers do they come in?

I KNOW I'll regret this... :eeek:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
The caliber will be the standard German/Swiss/Austrian target cartridge, 8.15x46R. Now for the hard part. These rifles are basically made to order but I'm looking to get the factory to do a limited run of round barrel, plain wood, not engraved target guns. How much they cost will depend on how many orders I can put together. I am hesitant to put out any numbers until I have a firmer idea of what the demand is. Sorry, I wish I could be more specific but that's reality. However, I can say they won't be cheap!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The caliber will be the standard German/Swiss/Austrian target cartridge, 8.15x46R. Now for the hard part. These rifles are basically made to order but I'm looking to get the factory to do a limited run of round barrel, plain wood, not engraved target guns. How much they cost will depend on how many orders I can put together. I am hesitant to put out any numbers until I have a firmer idea of what the demand is. Sorry, I wish I could be more specific but that's reality. However, I can say they won't be cheap!

Hi

I understand the problem, but I don't think you'll get much in the way of interest if you don't have some sort of idea. Even an estimate of say between $2-3000 (for example) would be helpful.

I like the humpback CZ 452, but I got the American. Whoops. This would be a very similar rifle.

Thanks again

Renault

One Too Many
There still exist a scheutzen verein in New Braunfels Texas that still shoots these rifles and others like it (as well as high-walls and newer Rifles, etc ). I think they are currently the oldest, still in existence verein in the USA.

They shot off the step supports, offhand. Which means you step up to firing position and rest the forward part of the barrel on a corresponding step comfortable for your height. Looks like a piece of stair stringer mounted on two posts. This was the traditional position.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~nbsv/

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Hi

I understand the problem, but I don't think you'll get much in the way of interest if you don't have some sort of idea. Even an estimate of say between $2-3000 (for example) would be helpful.

I like the humpback CZ 452, but I got the American. Whoops. This would be a very similar rifle.

Thanks again

Just off the top of my head, and with no real way to guess, I'm thinking between $2500-$3500, hopefully towards the lower end. The problem is that they would be manufactured in Euros and sold in dollars. Now, CPA sells an American style Scheutzen rifle on a hammered action. They are very well thought of and run around $2900 so I hope to be able to compete. The Schilling is built on the Aydt action which has a faster lock time than the CPA. Of course, those who want a CPA will buy direct from them. I would love to be able to get a bunch of German-Texans scheutzen festers excited in one from the Old Country!

RABowling

New in Town
Here are a few of mine, well the "vintage" style ones anyway, all used for Cowboy Action Shooting:

Uberti 1873 Short Rife 45 Colt
1873 Cimarron Right.JPG

Cimarron Frontier 1873 Single Action Army 45 Colt
Cimarron Frontier PW Right.jpg

Pietta 1851 Navy cap and ball .36 caliber
Pietta 1851Navy - Right.jpg

MikePotts

Practically Family
There still exist a scheutzen verein in New Braunfels Texas that still shoots these rifles and others like it (as well as high-walls and newer Rifles, etc ). I think they are currently the oldest, still in existence verein in the USA.

They shot off the step supports, offhand. Which means you step up to firing position and rest the forward part of the barrel on a corresponding step comfortable for your height. Looks like a piece of stair stringer mounted on two posts. This was the traditional position.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~nbsv/

That's how we used to shoot double rifles when regulating, more accurate than off-hand and a WHOLE lot more comfortable than bench resting! :eeek:

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Not really a gun but gun/TNT related ...found an old Robinhood 10 Ga. Ammo crate that was turned in to what appears to be a TNT detonating box....the wooden wheel is a switch...the metal leads are threaded to tighten wires once placed into them. The wires in the box go to a battery that would have been in the box?????

Last edited:

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Sarge, those are incredibly beautiful, nice to know such an elegant "bygone" is still being made.
And I never thought I would be a fan of the mouse guns, but since breaking my neck and back several years ago, full power battle rifles leave me very sore after shooting very much. The AR lets me shoot and enjoy it again.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Not really a gun but gun/TNT related ...found an old Robinhood 10 Ga. Ammo crate that was turned in to what appears to be a TNT detonating box....the wooden wheel is a switch...the metal leads are threaded to tighten wires once placed into them. The wires in the box go to a battery that would have been in the box?????

That's fascinating. I've always been interested in the development of detonation systems ( DID YA GET THAT SATELLITE!! ^^^) Thanks for posting.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Busy day!

I had to drive all the way to Boerne for this one!

3" J Frame

If anyone has their Big Boys Book O' S&W serial numbers handy I'd kinda like to know it's date

# is 6J 7xx - I'm guessing late 60's/early 70's

Renault

One Too Many

Betcha that was a "fishing" box. ;)
Don't ask me why I know these things........

Landman

One Too Many
Mike,

J frames have always been one of my favorites and that is a beautiful one. I'm assuming that is a Model 36 so I tried looking up that serial number for you but I don't see anything starting with "6J". If it is "J6" then here are some ranges.

1977-1978 J610001-J670000
1979-1980 J670001-J760000

According to the Standard Catalog of S&W, any Model 36 J frames from 1969 and prior won't have an alphabetic prefix.

If it is a different model you can PM me the model and serial number and I'll be happy to look it up for you.

BigFitz

Practically Family
I had to drive all the way to Boerne for this one!

3" J Frame

If anyone has their Big Boys Book O' S&W serial numbers handy I'd kinda like to know it's date

# is 6J 7xx - I'm guessing late 60's/early 70's

The only date I could find was 1983. This is the year listed in the book that a number preceded the "J". However, the there are 5 digits that follow the J, so that doesn't jive with your number. The J prefix began in1969 with serial number J1. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can narrow it down for you.

By the way, nice Smith!

Landman

One Too Many
J Frame Boot Holster

While we are discussing J frames. Here is a nifty way to conceal carry a J frame. The pistol in this picture is a Model 60 with a 1 7/8" barrel. This type of carry probably wouldn't work too well for a 3 " barrel but is great for the snubby version. I usually wear starched Wrangler jeans and when they are pulled over the boot the pistol is held very securely.

image_zps5f726674.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda